What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a foccaccia with black kalamata olives, fresh rosemary sprigs and sea salt topping. SOOOOO bad for my husband's diet, but heavenly:))

missM

I just got through baking and frosting an Orange Sponge Cake. I decided to put the mixture in a bunt pan this time and it came out so pretty!

Hi MS,
Depends how big your cake is. But for a 9" (we're metric here - so that's more or less) round cake, you use 2+ cups of icing mixture (you know the deal... add a little if you need to), 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder**, a scant spoon of good quality instant coffee and juice of one lemon and 2 tspns of softened butter. Beat all ingredients until light and fluffy. If mix is too stiff, add a little milk... a drop at a time mind..... Swirl over cake top and sides and grate lemon rind over.
You can substitute lime if you like.
** for a really special frosting,- instead of the cocoa powder, melt half a block of dark cooking chocolate over warm water, mix into the butter, coffee, lemon juice and icing mix. Oh JOY!!!

I love orange sponge. Have you tried a mocha frosting with grated lemon zest?

Not yet, missM. I usually use a butter cream frosting with a hint (one or two T. of orange juice) to go along with it.

Will try the mocha next time. Sounds good. Thanks for the hint. :chef:

ORANGE SPONGE CAKE

4 eggs-separated
11/2 C. Sugar
1 C. Orange Juice
1 tsp. Grated Orange Rind
2 C. Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
=================
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl, beat 1C sugar with the yolks.
Add the 1 C. juice, rind- blend well.
Add the flour and B.P- blending well.

In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites, adding 1/2 C sugar gradually.
Beat until stiff peaks form.

Fold egg whites into orange mixture.
Pour into a greased bunt pan and bake for 40 minutes.

Cool for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a nice cake server.

Frost if desired or just sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

:chef:

icing mixture

Icing mixture is icing sugar with a small percentage of starch added. It has a softer setting texture than straight icing sugar and unlike icing sugar, is usually lump free. I believe the starch is usually tapioca or somesuch. Anyway, it is still gluten free for those who need to know that.

i made milk-chocolate chip cookies. i used a recipe i found on line for using splenda. i think the recipe called for two much butter. they really spread out while baking. not very pretty but they taste good. i used splenda white and brown. will try it again, just converting one for myself.

Will be "baking" a salmon filet later today. I'm considering some foccacia while I have the oven warmed up. DH will just have to control himself with the fresh bread.

Made Pinched Orange Macaroons. Mmmm.....very good. Saw it on a Martha Stewart episode featuring this petit four from New York's Four Seasons Hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom