"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #1511
Sous Chef

made challah and Vermont maple nut cookies with maple glaze today. Tomorrow - tangy sourdough.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 AM   #1512
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Well, the loaves are out of the oven and it turns out that what I made were a couple bricks. I think it's because my starter needed to be refreshed. I recently converted my starter from 100% hydration to 67%, which I read tends to give your dough more strength in the gluten (verified) and also lasts longer between refreshes. Well, since it was supposed to last longer, I built it up a bit more. I last refreshed last weekend. The starter still looked and smelled fine, but I guess it just wasn't active enough anymore.

Now it's late at night and I don't have a loaf ready for the weekend. I guess I'll start something tonight to bake in the morning.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #1513
Head Chef

I made a chocolate cherry bread. Delicious!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #1514
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
Well, the loaves are out of the oven and it turns out that what I made were a couple bricks. I think it's because my starter needed to be refreshed. I recently converted my starter from 100% hydration to 67%, which I read tends to give your dough more strength in the gluten (verified) and also lasts longer between refreshes. Well, since it was supposed to last longer, I built it up a bit more. I last refreshed last weekend. The starter still looked and smelled fine, but I guess it just wasn't active enough anymore.

Now it's late at night and I don't have a loaf ready for the weekend. I guess I'll start something tonight to bake in the morning.
Sorry to hear about your setback. I always try to give my starter at least two good feedings over a 24 hour period before using it. I want to see it bubbling when I dig it out of the jar. I had the same results (brick) when I tried to use it cold from the fridge when it had not been fed for a week. BTW, I have left my starter in the fridge for 3 weeks w/o feeding it, and brought it back to life in just one feeding. Mine is pretty durable, and I always feed at 100% hydration by weight.

Looking for something quick (artisnal)? I've made NYT with just 8 hours of proofing. Not bad in a pinch.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #1515
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Sorry to hear about your setback. I always try to give my starter at least two good feedings over a 24 hour period before using it. I want to see it bubbling when I dig it out of the jar. I had the same results (brick) when I tried to use it cold from the fridge when it had not been fed for a week.
Thanks, Joe. It's really just that I'm testing the limits of my starter's new format. I generally approach bread with a fairly experimental attitude, so it's not a heartbreaker or anything. BTW, the taste of the loaves is pretty good. I'm going to try this one again soon with a lively starter.
Quote:
BTW, I have left my starter in the fridge for 3 weeks w/o feeding it, and brought it back to life in just one feeding. Mine is pretty durable, and I always feed at 100% hydration by weight.
Yep, mine has been pretty hardy too. I went through a period when I got caught up in experimenting with commercial yeast and I neglected my starter for nearly a month. It came back fine with a couple feedings. I also keep some dried and frozen (per Eric of Breadtopia's directions) just in case anything should go wrong.

Quote:
Looking for something quick (artisnal)? I've made NYT with just 8 hours of proofing. Not bad in a pinch.
I've already started a poolish as a base for whatever I end up making in the morning, if I end up having time to bake then. I don't mind rushing a No Knead sourdough as the sourdough gives it enough flavor, but I don't think I'd find a rushed standard NYT bread very interesting.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #1516
Sous Chef

Made cream scones for a tea-party for 50, then made some for us.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #1517
Sous Chef

Refrigerated the sourdough sponge overnight to increase the acetic acid, which gives it more tang. I'll take it out about 10am, add the rest of the ingredients and start the raising process. So far it looks good. Since it seems much cooler and overcast today, the warm bread will be the perfect accessory tonight to a pot of long simmered beef vegatable soup tonight.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #1518
Executive Chef

Panettone
Old 12-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #1519
Certified Cake Maniac

I have a whole list of stuff to make but it seems if I write it here first I don't get it done, so I will report back later!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 12-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #1520
Sous Chef

I am baking today

Mix New York Times Bread ...will be fixing and baking today.

Biscotti. Received a new Fudge recipe....simple, delicious. Let me know
if anyone would like it posted. Aria

Tags
rye bread