What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i made a version of a sausage quiche today. I used a 10" deep dish, glass pie plate, rolled out a buttter pie crust slightly par baked it. Inside the crust I spread a sundried tomato/pesto paste, the added pre-cooked italian sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, then covered it all with a mixture of egg, milk, tabasco sauce & a touch of fresh lemon.
I take the leftovers & individualy wrap the pie shaped pieces, they reheat nicely in the microwave.

I would love to get the recipie for that bread. It looks really good. It would go good with our leftover corned beef.
Makes about 3 pounds of bread:
3 Cups Water
1 Tbs Dried Yeast
1 Tbs Coarse / Kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbs Caraway seeds (optional)
1 Cup Rye Flour
2 Cups First Clear Flour (all purpose flour is a second choice)
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup High Gluten Flour (e.g. King Arthur's Lancelot)
1 Cup Bread Flour
1/2 Cup Durum Flour

In a six quart bowl and using a heavy wood spoon,
Combine yeast water and caraway seeds
Twenty or thirty minutes later, stir in the rye flour followed by the high gluten flour.
Add and combine the all purpose flour
Add salt and stir in thoroughly
Add first clear flour and combine thoroughly
Add Durum flour and combine thoroughly
Finally incorporate the bread flour
Let the dough sit covered at room temperature (65 - 80F) for 4 to 8 hours.
Use wood spoon to degass the dough.
Sprinkle top surface of dough with a THIN layer of bread flour.
Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Bread can be made from the refrigerated dough for at least 5 days after the initial refrigeration. It should be degassed and fed with about 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup bread flour every couple of days.

On baking day
Preheat oven to 425F
Sprinkle corn meal on a wood peel
Mix an egg white with a tablespoon of water
Sprinkle top of dough with flour and degass the dough in the bowl.
For 1 1/2 pound loaf, use a plastic dough scraper and floured hands to cut and remove 1/2 of the dough from the bowl.
Using floured hands, form the dough into and oval loaf by stretching and folding the outer edges of the dough into the bottom of the loaf.
Place the formed loaf on the mealed peel, lightly sprinkle with bread flour and cover with plastic wrap.
Let dough rest on peel for 15-20 minutes.
Slash top of loaf about 1/2" deep.
Paint with egg white wash.
Slide loaf off peel onto preheated baking stone.
The last loaf I made was baked-
40 minutes @ 425F then rotated 180 degrees and baked
15 minutes @ 400F then rotated 90 degrees and baked
15 minutes @ 375F then rotated 180 degrees and baked
5 minutes @ 350F
Smaller loaves or higher temps will bake the bread more quickly but higher temps may result in a blackened crust and a gelatinous undercooked center. After the first 55 minutes I heft the loaf on a wood paddle to estimate its weight and thereby judge its doneness.

We combine the corn meal and flour sweepings with the lefover egg white wash to fry up a little cake for our feathered friends.

Last edited:
I can't find the place to report this post but this guy has posted this site here and it doesn't belong. He's just selling bags.

Later... well, I guess the posts have already been removed.

Last edited:
I can't find the place to report this post but this guy has posted this site here and it doesn't belong. He's just selling bags.

Later... well, I guess the posts have already been removed.

Next time, click on the red and white "yield" sign next to the karma icon (whatever that one is supposed to be...Hershey's Kisses???) anyway, a screen will come up where you can just write "SPAM" and a moderator will swat them off our site like the flies they are.:LOL:

What's Baking today?

Today I made Medtran's Magic Cookie Bars... really yummy. Also made Carrot Cake Cookies and Cherry Chip Cookies as well as a small Banana Cream Pie. It's a good thing most of that stuff is leaving the house. We could all go into a diabetic coma with so much sugar.

Made a chocolate bread pudding for tomorrow's Ma's Sunday plus grilled a ton of mushrooms for french bread Pizza,busy busy busy:LOL:
kadesma

I've been craving lemon lately. So today I baked my lightened-up version of Alix's Lemon Cake. I went wild and doubled the glaze for the top of the cake...poked holes in the cake before I drizzled it on the warm cake. Can't wait to try some later. The waiting is the hardest part.;)

My April 2011 issue of Southern Living arrived in yesterday's mail so I HAD to try their Layered Carrot Cake recipe. We had it for dessert tonight after dinner. Yum!!

I'm hoping it'll last through the week.
Katie, would you could you post the recipe for that carrot cake? I'd preciate it muchly:LOL:
kades

I'm going to make a pound cake today. I haven't decided if I'm going to make the traditional one, or a lemony one. I found a great deal on organic lemons and I have about 8 of them rolling in my produce drawer.

I'm also considering a carrot cake, found some carrots that need using up. And I'm making both pudding and jello for my oldest who will be recovering from dental surgery today.

making some brown sugar nut bars. This will be a first so lets see how it tastes.
kades:)

I baked some sesame seed rolls to go with the tuna and egg salad I fixed to serve my brother for lunch. With lettuce and tomatoe and some nice pears, it was a really yummy lunch.

I made banana nut muffins. Just my usual banana bread recipe, but in muffin tins. The advantages: bakes in 20 minutes instead of 50 minutes, cools to eatable quicker, and I don't have to grease the muffin tins, 'cause they are muffin sized and the recipe has a lot of butter (I put cupcake papers in the "non-stick" Baker's Secret muffin tin, 'cause it sticks worse than the regular ones.)

I'm eating them now, they are deeelicious.

I saw an episode of ATK the other day where they made the ultimate banana bread so I thought that I would give it a try. Okay, so now it's my new banana bread recipe. It is so full of banana flavor! It is amazing!!!! Not that my old banana bread recipe was bad :LOL: but this is just incredible. It's a little more work than regular banana bread since you use more bananas (6 large for one loaf), you have to microwave them, strain and then take the juice and reduce it in a saucepan. It really concentrates the banana flavor.

America’s Test Kitchen :: Watch Our Show

Attachments

• ultimate-banana-bread.jpg
    ultimate-banana-bread.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the video Mama. What's the white bit in the middle of your banana bread slice?

I was beginning to suspect why my banana bread was so good. I have been using only frozen bananas for the past 10 years or so. My recipe calls for 1.25 cups of banana. That's usually 5 frozen bananas. They shrivel a bit and a lot of frost develops in the bag, that must be moisture escaped from the 'nanas.

Next time I will peel the 'nanas into a colander and reduce the liquid.

I personally think freezing is easier than all that fussing with the microwave. Of course, I almost always have some frozen 'nanas in the freezer. We never seem to finish them before they are too ripe. Well, actually I buy enough to save some for 'nana bread. I let them get really, really ripe before I freeze them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom