What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could use your comments and ideas about these cookies. I plan to make them this weekend for the nurses but since they are new to me I've no idea how they will taste.
1-cup butter
1-cup sugar
1-egg yolk
2 cups a/p flour
salt
1 tea. ground cinnamon
1/8 tea. grated nutmeg
1/8 tea. ground cloves

These are more like bars rather than a cookie. What do you think I need your advice.
'kades

I could use your comments and ideas about these cookies. I plan to make them this weekend for the nurses but since they are new to me I've no idea how they will taste.
1-cup butter
1-cup sugar
1-egg yolk
2 cups a/p flour
salt
1 tea. ground cinnamon
1/8 tea. grated nutmeg
1/8 tea. ground cloves

These are more like bars rather than a cookie. What do you think I need your advice.
'kades

They look like they will have a taste similar to a spice cake. My only concern with the recipe is the recipe only calls for 1 egg yolk, that doesn't seem like enough egg to hold the bars together, I would fear that they would crumble. I would go with 2 whole eggs, or at least one whole egg and one egg yolk.

This sounds very similar to the Lebkuchen we have at Christmas time.

Lebkuchen
[FONT=&quot]4 eggs well beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups light brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups sifted AP flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1t cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4t allspice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup candied fruit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup coarsely chopped walnut or pecans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beat sugar and eggs until smooth. Sift flour and spices. Add fruit and nuts to flour mixture and toss. Combine the two mixtures. Spread in a greased brownie pan 8 x 11. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20- 25 minutes. Test with a straw.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These can be iced with a mixture of 2 cups 10x sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of boiling water or milk. Flavor with rum, vanilla or lemon juice. This should be thin and runny. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Notes:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I just spank them with some 10x sugar and forget the glaze.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I swap out the candied fruit and use raisons plumped in a little boiling water and a tablespoon of dark rum, drain well before adding.[/FONT]

They look like they will have a taste similar to a spice cake. My only concern with the recipe is the recipe only calls for 1 egg yolk, that doesn't seem like enough egg to hold the bars together, I would fear that they would crumble. I would go with 2 whole eggs, or at least one whole egg and one egg yolk.
Thank y ou I wondered if they would be dry and crumble. I'll add several eggs and see what we get.
kades

Could you share what changes you made to your original recipe.
Thanks B
Sure I'd be glad to. I added 2 eggs and 1/4 tea. cloves and freshgrated nutmed 1/2 tea. Next time I' plan to add at least 3-4 eggs these are rather dry but dunked into coffee or hot chocolate it's a winner. Of course I'm a cloves nut so I'm busy eating cookies.These are patted into a greased 15x10 pan then scored with a fork. Let sit and cool 7 min then cut into 2x1 size cubes.
kades

Sure I'd be glad to. I added 2 eggs and 1/4 tea. cloves and freshgrated nutmed 1/2 tea. Next time I' plan to add at least 3-4 eggs these are rather dry but dunked into coffee or hot chocolate it's a winner. Of course I'm a cloves nut so I'm busy eating cookies.These are patted into a greased 15x10 pan then scored with a fork. Let sit and cool 7 min then cut into 2x1 size cubes.
kades

Thanks!

In the fall and winter I love the smell of spices.

I don't think we tend to use cloves, ginger and nutmeg as much as we did years ago.

That's good to know. These turned out pretty good. I love the cloves that are in them. Great with a cuppa.
kades

Family members brought in a batch of Banana Bread, one bite and I could tell they hadn't sifted the baking powder. There were little balls of baking powder throughout the rather short pieces. The bread was gone in the matter of seconds anyway.:LOL:

Family members brought in a batch of Banana Bread, one bite and I could tell they hadn't sifted the baking powder. There were little balls of baking powder throughout the rather short pieces. The bread was gone in the matter of seconds anyway.:LOL:

My mom taught me to sift, she could always tell when someone just tossed baking powder or soda in a recipe.

I just use a whisk and combine the leavening with the flour, as long as the leavening is dry and clump free it isn't usually a problem. I do use a sifter if there are lots of spices that I want to distribute evenly, or if I suspect clumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost never bake. A tourtiere at the holidays is about it. But a friend mentioned she has way too many apples, and I remembered an apple spice cake from my youth. Haven't made it in years, but my elderly friend's recipe is long-lost. But Joy of Cooking has one that is similar and I've used it before with success.

So, on Monday I have a get together with friends and will bring one cake, and another friend's 81st birthday, and I'll do one for her. There will be leftover apples, and apple sauce is so easy to make, so I'll do that with the rest and bring it up to my favorite gals.

Enough for me with baking until tourtiere time.

cardamon/green tea cookies whit lemon zest and dried cranberry

sound weird but i love my green cookies

Aunt Bea said:
Apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.

That sounds really good! When I make it, I have to make extra "crisp" to go on top, per my partner's request. He hated everything apple until I started baking for him.

That sounds really good! When I make it, I have to make extra "crisp" to go on top, per my partner's request. He hated everything apple until I started baking for him.

I make extra "crisp"also :pig:

In the late fall this is a once a week Sunday dinner treat. I make up the topping and keep it in a ziplock bag in the freezer. When I want to make a small crisp for one I peel an apple or two and put a scoop of the frozen crumbles on top and bake as usual.

I was glad I only decided to make two cakes, because the apples were in rotten shape (yes, friend had warned me). But I managed to eke out two apple spice cakes (Joy of Cooking recipe, more or less), apple heavy. I don't bake enough to keep vanilla extract on hand, but use rum (I think spiced rum would have been better, but make do). It was a hit at the Labor Day party, and the other cake will go to an elderly shut-in friend tomorrow. For someone who rarely bakes, whose husband doesn't eat sweets (it really isn't very sweet), I think I did OK.

I made a lemon pie today. Left it in the cooler overnight & will add merange to it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom