What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i made some orange cranberry muffins this afternoon. my grand babies ate em up with apple juice.

Every year I make cranberry pumpkin mini loaves for the church fair. I season them with orange extract and zest. They are a big seller. :yum:

We finish the NY Times No knead bread this morning & who knows what else we will get into...

Finished it, yay! It went well for a beginner. Had a great crust but burned it a little, not badly though. That strikes me as a soup bread bowl dough. I'm thinking a big pot of chili or cheesy broccoli soup or endless possibilities here really.

I made a loaf of whole wheat bread this morning.

I used a tip from King Arthur to make a batter with the yeast, milk, molasses and 1 1/2 cups of WWF and let it "rest" for half an hour, then I continued with the recipe. The loaf came out higher than the other 100% WW loaves I have made in the past. The King says that this technique allows the bran to moisten and helps with the formation of the gluten. It seemed to work, I guess that's why he is the King!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That's awesome Aunt Bea! Do you use the recipe on the back of the King Arthur flour bag for your whole wheat loaves? I am anxious to try to make my own whole wheat.I'd also like to get my hands on a recipe for something like a 9 grain bread - something really grainy, yet big & soft. And very tasty. Tasty is definitely a requirement.

I made oatmeal raisin cookies last night for Kathleen to take to her "pot luck" at work. I will find out in a little while how they were received.

That's awesome Aunt Bea! Do you use the recipe on the back of the King Arthur flour bag for your whole wheat loaves? I am anxious to try to make my own whole wheat.I'd also like to get my hands on a recipe for something like a 9 grain bread - something really grainy, yet big & soft. And very tasty. Tasty is definitely a requirement.

The recipe I used was:

1 cup skim milk
1 1/4 t salt
1 1/2 T molasses
1 package of dry yeast
1 T butter
up to 3 cups of WWF

I ended up using about 2 1/3 cups of WWF. It varies each time I make bread. I just use what the dough seems to need as I knead, if that makes sense. I made the sponge let it set 30 minutes, added the rest of the flour and kneaded it about 10 minutes. Let it rise about 45 minutes, shaped it and let it rise in the pan another 45 minutes. I baked it in a 375 oven for 40 minutes. When I put it in the oven I tossed in two ice cubes to create some steam.

I need to experiment with making enough dough to for two loaves so I don't waste the yeasty beasties. I think I should be able to bake one loaf and then put the remaining dough in the refrigerator for a couple of days before I shape it and bake it. I also want to try using a starter instead of relying on commercial yeast. The yeast is the most expensive part of my home baked bread.

I should bake all of my bread once a week to save on the gas but, I like it fresh. It makes me think of the days when all the baking would be done once a week. I read about a group of young Amish couples who set out to establish a new community where land was cheaper. They were having community meetings to discuss how things should be done and one of the things that came up as a money saving idea was to prohibit the purchasing of bread. The young men were adamant that they could not live without store bread unless the women agreed to bake at least twice a week. The women were just as adamant that baking more than once a week was too much work. I am not sure what the final decision was but, I tend to agree with the guys. Day seven of that bread must have been a real treat! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I bought 2 pounds of instant yeast at BJ's 5 years ago, for about I think $3.69, I am just finishing up the first pound, it has long since expired, but keeping it air tight in the fridge has kept it going strong. The second pound is in the pantry vacuum sealed, I bet that one is still good.

I'm going to be making an orange chiffon cake this evening. Having company for dinner tomorrow and I thought a lighter textured dessert would be good after a heavy meal of lasagna and homemade bread.

Making two Foccacia's today plus PB cookies with raspberry jam thumb prints.
kades

Made no knead bread and orange chiffon cake to go with lasagna last night.

I am always impressed with the results of the no knead bread, such a wonderful crust and nice flavor.
SG1L0101.JPG

Chiffon cake is such a nice dessert after a heavy meal, I really should make them more often.
SG1L0107.JPG

made no knead bread and orange chiffon cake to go with lasagna last night.

I am always impressed with the results of the no knead bread, such a wonderful crust and nice flavor.
sg1l0101.jpg

chiffon cake is such a nice dessert after a heavy meal, i really should make them more often.
sg1l0107.jpg
beautiful!!

Made no knead bread and orange chiffon cake to go with lasagna last night.

Chiffon cake is such a nice dessert after a heavy meal, I really should make them more often.

Very nice!

With those, who needs lasagna! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I just pulled a loaf of oatmeal bread out of the oven!

I would like to make some hot cross buns and I think I am all set except for the glaze or wash that is put on them when you first take them out of the oven. Do you think I could just brush them with real maple syrup? What is that glaze normally made of? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks B

I just pulled a loaf of oatmeal bread out of the oven!

I would like to make some hot cross buns and I think I am all set except for the glaze or wash that is put on them when you first take them out of the oven. Do you think I could just brush them with real maple syrup? What is that glaze normally made of? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks B

Tradition is that the glaze is made with a 10X glaze. It is made in the shape of a cross. But you should wait until they cool some. Otherwise the glaze will melt and just run off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom