What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tradition is that the glaze is made with a 10X glaze. It is made in the shape of a cross. But you should wait until they cool some. Otherwise the glaze will melt and just run off.

Addie,

I'm good with the cross mixture.

In my area the ones from the bakery have a clear sticky coating on them and then the cross on top of that. All of the recipes I have seen say to glaze the dough prior to baking with an egg wash to create a shine. What I am used to is more than a shine it is sweet and shiny like corn syrup. That shine is what has me baffled.
Thanks, B

Addie,

I'm good with the cross mixture.

In my area the ones from the bakery have a clear sticky coating on them and then the cross on top of that. All of the recipes I have seen say to glaze the dough prior to baking with an egg wash to create a shine. What I am used to is more than a shine it is sweet and shiny like corn syrup. That shine is what has me baffled.
Thanks, B

Aunt Bea, in the bakery we always glazed them with thinned apricot preserves, enough water to make it flow like syrup.

Aunt Bea said:
I just pulled a loaf of oatmeal bread out of the oven!

I would like to make some hot cross buns and I think I am all set except for the glaze or wash that is put on them when you first take them out of the oven. Do you think I could just brush them with real maple syrup? What is that glaze normally made of? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks B

OATMEAL BREAD? Please tell me more.:)

Aunt Bea, in the bakery we always glazed them with thinned apricot preserves, enough water to make it flow like syrup.

I was just about to post the same thing. I like to add a little water and warm until all melted together.

This is also a great glaze to use to brush a fresh fruit tart.

What commercial bakeries usually use is called a "honey" or "danish" glaze, the honey glaze usually doesn't contain honey, but a lot of corn syrup reduced down really thick.

The apricot preserve glaze should work just as well.

Thanks for the info about the glaze!

I think I will try either honey or maple syrup. I don't have any clear jelly or jam on hand. we'll see!

The oatmeal bread is just regular yeast bread but I replace a cup of flour with a cup of oatmeal flakes. I put them, the sweetening and the liquid into the microwave for a minute. When it cools to 110 degrees I add the yeast and let it proof then finish the recipe. It makes a chewy bread that is great toasted! You can also just use any leftover oatmeal or cooked cereal from breakfast, that is what my grandmother did. Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Ordered goodies from King Aruthur Flour they came today fun on the way. Kids are coming tomorrow to dye eggs all 36 hard cooked eggs, so as a treat chocolate muffins and for the big kids brioche bread with fig orange jam.
kades

I learned the apricot glaze working in the bakery, I use it at home now, it's perfect for sweet rolls and fruit tarts.

I cant find the post where somebody was asking for what the glaze for hot cross buns is made out of, but as far as I know, the glaze is made by brushing egg whites onto the buns before baking. :)

Buongiorno,

We are going to be sharing the baking of Calzones for Saturday Lunch ...
The filling: (1) eggplant parmigiana with globs of melted Italian cheeses in a calzone and Number (2) is a local Apulian called in English Rustic Green & White, and it is made with Spring Onion, Broccoli, Garlic, Olives, Anchovies ...

Margi.

I learned the apricot glaze working in the bakery, I use it at home now, it's perfect for sweet rolls and fruit tarts.

When you watch the travel shows, they sometimes visit pastry shops in Europe. The tarts and other goodies in the window are painted with the apricot glaze. It was a favorite of Julia Child's. When I make a fruit tart I always paint the fruit with apricot glaze. It gives it such a nice shine. :yum:

Easter Meat Pie (Pizzagaina) and cheesecake.

I love the filling of the Pizzagaina Pie, but eveyone I have had made with a bread dough, the dough is just too thick. The ones made with a pie crust I have found the bottom crust not cook very well. I usually stick to the ones made in bakeries. They seem to get it right.

I made one once many moons ago and I used puff pastry. It took two sheet to get the bottom and sides big enough for the spring form pan. Then another sheet for the top. But it was thin enough so that you weren't eating all crust nd not enough filling. It is a lot of work. And depending what you put in it, can run into $$$$.

Isn't that what holidays are all about? Spending a lot of money for a big meal and a good feeling when you leave the table? Then when everyone tells you how good the meal was, you tell them it was no problem to make after you slaved for three days to get everything done. Time for a nap. Who deserves it more than the cook. :yum:

I love the filling of the Pizzagaina Pie, but eveyone I have had made with a bread dough, the dough is just too thick. The ones made with a pie crust I have found the bottom crust not cook very well. I usually stick to the ones made in bakeries. They seem to get it right.

I made one once many moons ago and I used puff pastry. It took two sheet to get the bottom and sides big enough for the spring form pan. Then another sheet for the top. But it was thin enough so that you weren't eating all crust nd not enough filling. It is a lot of work. And depending what you put in it, can run into $$$$.

Isn't that what holidays are all about? Spending a lot of money for a big meal and a good feeling when you leave the table? Then when everyone tells you how good the meal was, you tell them it was no problem to make after you slaved for three days to get everything done. Time for a nap. Who deserves it more than the cook. :yum:

I use a pie/pastry crust. Here are 2 old photos from a past Easter. I will hopefully get some better pics this year.

img_1126812_0_9fa70a2544a7a66a4abf86482abeeabe.jpg

img_1126812_1_4f2518d226d3f20f6da1ab456ba788e3.jpg

Last edited:
I use a pie/pastry crust. Here are 2 old photos from a past Easter. I will hopefully get some better pics this year.

img_1126844_0_9fa70a2544a7a66a4abf86482abeeabe.jpg

img_1126844_1_4f2518d226d3f20f6da1ab456ba788e3.jpg

That's what I am talking about. The bottom crust is not so thick that there is very little room for the filling. It is not all crust. :yum:

That's what I am talking about. The bottom crust is not so thick that there is very little room for the filling. It is not all crust. :yum:
Thank you. I used to make a LARGE deep pie. It was well rounded over the top of the pie plate like around 6 inches deep. But now I make them level with the plate so they cook quicker. LOL

I think I will bake late tonight or tomorrow. I need to run a few errands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom