What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gluten free hazelnut sugar cookies (~24)-

• 1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
  • 2 cups finely ground hazelnuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Dough is rolled out to 1/4" thick & cut out with cookie cutter.
Baked on a lightly greased (butter) cookie sheet at 350*F for ~ 20 minutes (until lightly browned and crispy).

i am a huge fan of sour rye. that looks wonderful.
Thanks. Fifty years ago I could still get better in northern Manhattan (Washington Heights) but now I'm 150 miles east of Washington Heights, Washington Heights ain't what it used to be, and the locals here are Wonderbread (packaged factory whitebread) types.

Last edited:
We finished the last of the blood orange cheesecake for dessert last night and there's nothing in the dessert dome on the kitchen counter. We're having company later today, so I have a cream cheese pound cake in the oven right now. It's smellin' pretty nice all through the house.

I made a half batch of oatmeal, peanut butter, walnut, chocolate chip, coconut cookies today. Clean out the pantry cookies! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Now I am waiting for some dough to rise, half will go into a pizza for dinner and the other half will go into the fridge for use later in the week.

Dog biscuits today. There are no dog treats available where I live so I make my own for the dogs. It's probably better for the dogs anyway. The store I get flour from only had cake flour but I don't think the dogs will care.

Baked that beautiful & delicious Mexican Cornbread. The maple sour cream to dip the cornbread in was pretty darn good too.

I would absolutely love to have the recipie for dog biscuits. Our dog, max, is so fussy it would be great to make him treats.

I would absolutely love to have the recipie for dog biscuits. Our dog, max, is so fussy it would be great to make him treats.

This is very basic and you can add things your dog would like. Chicken instead of beef and so forth.
I don't cut them into fancy shapes because they are rewards for learning tricks so only small pieces at a time.

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered milk
  • 1 tablespoon wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
  • ¼ cup bacon grease
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup ice water
Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, powdered milk, wheat germ and beef bouillon granules. Stir in the bacon grease and egg. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is wet enough to stick together. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Place biscuits 1 inch apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  • Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Cool before serving.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're totally out of plain white bread and I "feel the need" for some toast, so I'm going to make a couple of loaves of bread today. If I have time and feel like it I may make a Pullman loaf, too. I'll just have to see how the time goes.

This is very basic and you can add things your dog would like. Chicken instead of beef and so forth.
I don't cut them into fancy shapes because they are rewards for learning tricks so only small pieces at a time.

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered milk
  • 1 tablespoon wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
  • ¼ cup bacon grease
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup ice water
Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, powdered milk, wheat germ and beef bouillon granules. Stir in the bacon grease and egg. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is wet enough to stick together. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Place biscuits 1 inch apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  • Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Cool before serving.
Thank you very much! I will try them out & let you know if max eats them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I'm in the process of baking myself a cake for my birthday tomorrow. It's a 2-layer butter cake with a raspberry mousse filling, frosted with a dark chocolate ganache. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday!!

That sounds like a wonderful cake, would love to see pictures.

Good luck!

Happy Birthday!!

That sounds like a wonderful cake, would love to see pictures.

Good luck!

Thanks! I don't know what I'm worried about - I've made this cake before with lots of tweaks. I guess it's because it's my birthday - I always get nervous when baking for birthdays - never mind I've been baking cakes forever!

Anyway, I haven't really learned how to use a digital camera (do you believe it???), but here's the basic recipe with a photo. I make 2 cake layers instead of one.
Chocolate Rhapsody

Thanks! I don't know what I'm worried about - I've made this cake before with lots of tweaks. I guess it's because it's my birthday - I always get nervous when baking for birthdays - never mind I've been baking cakes forever!

Anyway, I haven't really learned how to use a digital camera (do you believe it???), but here's the basic recipe with a photo. I make 2 cake layers instead of one.
Chocolate Rhapsody
That looks wonderful. I will definitely try it out. Do you strain the seeds out of the raspberries for the center layer?

Boracay, I know you didn't list garlic powder in the ingredients, but you list in the instructions. Garlic and onions (among other things that we can eat) is toxic to dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom