"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #2191
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
In the case of my DH, and most people who go gluten free, it is definitely not a CRAZE. He suffers from Celiac disease which means his digestive system can not break down gluten in any form and the symptoms include severe cramping, constipation and even vomitting. Hope that clears things up for you.

And MsMofet the MUFFINS are gluten free - the carrots and bananas are naturally that way.

Sorry, but in my house this is no laughing matter.
so sorry

Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #2192
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellakav View Post
there is nothing wrong with gluten. I use it as well any time I make bread. it just makes a better finished product. but there is a disease
out there called 'celiac disease' in which the body can't process gluten
and certain other proteins and such and it can like, KILL you. it is not,
however, as common as people are making it out to be. it's kind of
become the new thing to blame everything on, sort of like the 'disease
of the month' because it was recently discovered that there is a link
between autism and celiac disease. gluten sensitivity that isn't related
to celiac disease is basically a food allergy.
but no, your ears won't fall off!!
Oh good; my wife says my ears are cute.
Well, I must not have the "celiac disease", since I have been baking with gluten for years.
Marty

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #2193
Executive Chef

Quote:
In the case of my DH, and most people who go gluten free, it is definitely not a CRAZE. He suffers from Celiac disease which means his digestive system can not break down gluten in any form and the symptoms include severe cramping, constipation and even vomitting. Hope that clears things up for you.

And MsMofet the MUFFINS are gluten free - the carrots and bananas are naturally that way.

Sorry, but in my house this is no laughing matter.
Thank you very much for really explaining what Celiac disease. Is it a wide spread problem. Sorry for you husband. Having anything off-kilter with the digestive system is a real bummer.

Sorry, as I was not making light or fun of the disease. I was just not familiar with it.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #2194
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Nothing today. Yesterday I tried a sweet Hawiian bread. It wouldn't rise the second time so I ploped it in a square cake pan and baked it like corn bread or something. Little crusty on the bottom (mea culpa), great flavor, but too dense so I dumped it.

funny you should mention the sweet bread! I posted an ISO request
the other day and got a recipe for it. I made it last night and it turned
out awesome! check for the thread in the bread forum.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #2195
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
Thank you very much for really explaining what Celiac disease. Is it a wide spread problem. Sorry for you husband. Having anything off-kilter with the digestive system is a real bummer.

Sorry, as I was not making light or fun of the disease. I was just not familiar with it.
Thanks to you and MsMoffet for your apologies. I must apologize as well if I sounded a bit harsh. Being trained in special diets and dealing with my family members and clients on a regular basis just brings it all too close to home for me. And yes, we do need to bring some fun into serious matters. I know you meant no harm.

Ella, your descriptions of celiac and the "disease of the month" reputation are spot on. But I am so thankful to see that restaurants, magazines and supermarkets are becoming more educated and offering more products, recipes and information on celiac, lactose intolerance and other digestive problems, as well as diabeties.

I made some "chocolate chunk shortbread bars" out of my new "Diabetic Desserts" cookbook which is accredited by the Canadian Diabetic Association for my Dad last night. He was so happy because he misses his sweets (specially cookies and chocolate) and it contained no artificial sweeteners and yet fit into his exchanges.

I am so happy when I can bake for my men!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #2196
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
beautiful cakes!!
Thank you so much. It is very much a labour of love!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #2197
Executive Chef

it was very cool here this am so I fired up the oven...actually just turned it off, before I realized I had been eaten out of house and home of almost all bread products this past week......

did get some potatoes baked off and some walnuts roasted for a batch of pesto today......bread will be on my list for tomorrow!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #2198
Sous Chef

[quote=LPBeier;837441]...
Ella, your descriptions of celiac and the "disease of the month" reputation are spot on. But I am so thankful to see that restaurants, magazines and supermarkets are becoming more educated and offering more products, recipes and information on celiac, lactose intolerance and other digestive problems, as well as diabeties..."

I just wanted to add that I am not dissing anyone who has a diagnosed
condition such as celiac or food allergies, diabetes, etc. I know that
this is real and can be deadly. my problem is with the quacks and the
people who diagnose themselves, and the mentality that people get
when a condition starts getting a lot of press. people who suddenly
think "I am always flatulent!! I must have such-and-such disease!!"
please.

it is awesome that more and more information and warnings are out
there for those who really ARE ill. my friends kid can die if he even
gets a microscopic whiff of peanut dust. stuff like this is no joke.
celiac disease, untreated, destroys the small intestine and releases
toxins into the body at the very least. at the worst your guts just
start to hemorrage and you die. again, no joke. but hypochondriacs
truly annoy.
I feel for you for your husband. what a drag. but as you said, there
are more and more options, so in that case too much press isn't a bad
thing.

and in keeping with the thread, today I am doing something with a
couple pints of fresh blueberries, don't know what yet, and some
chocolate-chip cookies so far. might as well crank out some baking
while this unseasonably LOVELY, humidity-free cool weather holds.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #2199
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks to you and MsMoffet for your apologies. I must apologize as well if I sounded a bit harsh. Being trained in special diets and dealing with my family members and clients on a regular basis just brings it all too close to home for me. And yes, we do need to bring some fun into serious matters. I know you meant no harm.

Ella, your descriptions of celiac and the "disease of the month" reputation are spot on. But I am so thankful to see that restaurants, magazines and supermarkets are becoming more educated and offering more products, recipes and information on celiac, lactose intolerance and other digestive problems, as well as diabeties.

I made some "chocolate chunk shortbread bars" out of my new "Diabetic Desserts" cookbook which is accredited by the Canadian Diabetic Association for my Dad last night. He was so happy because he misses his sweets (specially cookies and chocolate) and it contained no artificial sweeteners and yet fit into his exchanges.

I am so happy when I can bake for my men!
no need to appologize to me sweetie!! i deal with food problems also due to stomach problems and migraines. did you know fermented food bring on migrines? i eat the food anyway though and deal with it because i refuse to give up cheese, vinegar, wine and bread to name a few things. i PAY dearly sometimes but i am stupid and have to deal with it till i can't any more!! and how can you ask an italian to give up spices and GARLIC!!?? compared to my friend who has Krones and can't eat ANY veggie or fiber not even a SPEC!! i call myself lucky i only need to deal with my problems!! again i am sorry i didn't mean to make light.

but like people who laugh at tragic events to deal with them i try to use humor in the same way and everyone please uderstand THAT is how i DEAL with sad or tragic things. please take no offence in my words just slap me so i know i did something wrong.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #2200
Sous Chef

Nothing~! It's too %#@*&## HOT!

Tags
rye bread