What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PrincessFiona60 said:
Guess I'll have to make lemon curd this weekend.

I have limes and eggs....sigh, our work is never done. :yum:

Last edited:
Very similar. It's not difficult to make and you can also get it in a small jar in the jams and preserves aisle of the market.
I have tried that bottled stuff and it looked creamy/milky NOT glassy like my pie filling and it really wasn't tart enough. I chucked it out because it tasted funny.

Last edited:
This is PF's recipe, TNT, which I have done with lime juice also. I would put this up against any pie filling. Awesome.

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).

Last edited:
This is PF's recipe, TNT, which I have done with lime juice also. I would put this up against any pie filling. Awesome.

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).
Almost the same as mine but I add cornstarch and water and only yolks of 3 eggs.

msmofet said:
Almost the same as mine but I add cornstarch and water and only yolks of 3 eggs.

I don't bake, and I bow to those who do. Sure wish I had my Great Aunt's lemon merengue pie recipe, mile high merengue, lemon filling that would set your teeth on edge. Silky, sweet. Dang, it was good! She was well known for her pies.

Also, this is Princess Fiona's Lemon Curd recipe, don't know if it is interchangeable with pie filling, though it sure sounds like it might be.

Last edited:
Yes, it is easy to make...we usually make it on the stove top but have recently found a microwave recipe for it that is very tasty and so much quicker and easier..if you would like it MM, I will be more than happy to type it up for you :)

Kylie1969 said:
Yes, it is easy to make...we usually make it on the stove top but have recently found a microwave recipe for it that is very tasty and so much quicker and easier..if you would like it MM, I will be more than happy to type it up for you :)

Yes please!

I don't bake, and I bow to those who do. Sure wish I had my Great Aunt's lemon merengue pie recipe, mile high merengue, lemon filling that would set your teeth on edge. Silky, sweet. Dang, it was good! She was well known for her pies.

Also, this is Princess Fiona's Lemon Curd recipe, don't know if it is interchangeable with pie filling, though it sure sounds like it might be.
My filling is sweet AND tart and I don't make my meringue a mile high but it is very flavorful.

img_1182548_0_b650e7e4fc30d4987266124af36fb209.jpg

YES please!!

A very large pan of baked mac and cheese for my daughter's last party for the summer. I have all the componets done, just have to assemble and bake. :angel:

I'm going to see if I can make a rhubarb cream pie. I don't like rhubarb, so am curious if my Great-Great Aunt's Peach Cream Pie can be converted to a rhubarb cream pie. The crust is ready:

1-1/2 AP flour
1/4 c Crisco
1/4 c lard
5 T ice water (put this in the freezer about 30 minutes b/4 making the crust)
1 T cider vinegar
1 T vodka

That's the crust. The filling will be:

4 c diced rhubarb (this has been in the freezer)
1-1/2 c sugar
3 T flour
2 tsp freshly ground cinnamon

Blind bake the crust for 7-8 minutes.
Put the rhubarb, tossed with sugar and flour mixture, in the bottom of the pie pan.
Add 3/4 c to 1 c half and half
Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350, bake for 40-45 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom