What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't bake, and I bow to those who do. Sure wish I had my Great Aunt's lemon merengue pie recipe, mile high merengue, lemon filling that would set your teeth on edge. Silky, sweet. Dang, it was good! She was well known for her pies.

Also, this is Princess Fiona's Lemon Curd recipe, don't know if it is interchangeable with pie filling, though it sure sounds like it might be.

You know Dawg, you should really try baking. Start with cookies. There is nothing like self pleasure than seeing smiles on faces when they eat something sweet you baked. Use all the shortcuts that are available to today's bakers. Premade pie crust, even frozen and shaped pie crusts in a disposable pie plate. All you have to do is make the filling. They even have ones with two frozen crusts for pies like apple. The bottom is already shaped in the pie plate and the top crust comes with it. With the crust already made for you, all you have to do is the filling. If you don't tell about the crust, neither will I. :angel:

Kylie1969 said:
I will post it, with pleasure guys....which is the best section to post it at?

Try Cakes and Cupcakes in Recipes and Ingredients, Kylie. That's where PF's lemon curd recipe was.

Looking forward to it! Thanks!

Addie said:
You know Dawg, you should really try baking. Start with cookies. There is nothing like self pleasure than seeing smiles on faces when they eat something sweet you baked. Use all the shortcuts that are available to today's bakers. Premade pie crust, even frozen and shaped pie crusts in a disposable pie plate. All you have to do is make the filling. They even have ones with two frozen crusts for pies like apple. The bottom is already shaped in the pie plate and the top crust comes with it. With the crust already made for you, all you have to do is the filling. If you don't tell about the crust, neither will I. :angel:

Thanks Addie. I CAN bake, I just don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy cooking. Have made my share of cookies, cakes and pies, I just find them less forgiving than a stew, soup, or chili. And we're not big on sweets. I do make exceptions for Vanishing Oatmeal Bars and pumpkin pie with gingersnap crust....

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
Thanks Addie. I CAN bake, I just don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy cooking. Have made my share of cookies, cakes and pies, I just find them less forgiving than a stew, soup, or chili. And we're not big on sweets. I do make exceptions for Vanishing Oatmeal Bars and pumpkin pie with gingersnap crust....

+1

This is PF's recipe, TNT, which I have done with lime juice also. I would put this up against any pie filling. Awesome.

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).

There's a bowl of this PF Curd cooling in my kitchen right now. I know it's good* because I licked off the bottom of the sieve. I have in mind tarts (like Kylie), but need to make a recipe of pie crust.

*good - a huge understatement

Thanks for posting it in my absence, Dawg. Appreciate the assist. {{{Dawg}}}

TinLizzie, now you will crave it, like I do.:)

There's a bowl of this PF Curd cooling in my kitchen right now. I know it's good* because I licked off the bottom of the sieve. I have in mind tarts (like Kylie), but need to make a recipe of pie crust.

*good - a huge understatement

The recipe for cream cheese pie crust used in making Pecan Tassies is nice for little lemon tarts!

I think it best to make the shells and then assemble them just prior to serving.

The shells also freeze well so you can make them ahead if need be..

I like an almond shortbread cookie crust for my Lemon Curd Tart crust...like I need more butter.

And we wonder why I have heart problems:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Last edited:
I like an almond shortbread cookie crust for my Lemon Curd Tart crust...like I need more butter.

And we wonder why I have heart problems:ROFLMAO::LOL:

I really don't think it is the butter, I think it is the stress and guilt we are forced to endure over every morsel of food we eat!

I wish I could live peacefully like a rabbit nibbling in the grass on a nice sunny day not knowing that a hawk was circling over head.

Que Sera, Sera what ever will be will be....

Last edited:
Fiona, do you have this recipe somewhere?

Almond shortbread cookies

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup roasted almond butter
3 cups flour

cream all together, roll or mold. I blind bake in tart pans, cool completely and add the Lemon Curd.
bake 10-30 min, depending on how light or dark you want them at 350°F (177C)

Just catching up on the last couple of days. Craving lemon, and can't figure out why. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom