"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #241
Head Chef

Oh gosh, thanks so much, Fishers Mom, for the compliment! I am very very blessed to have found a second "career." To stay on topic, the dill cottage cheese bread made wonderful ham sandwiches for lunch - hope you enjoyed your day!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #242
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Oh gosh, thanks so much, Fishers Mom, for the compliment! I am very very blessed to have found a second "career." To stay on topic, the dill cottage cheese bread made wonderful ham sandwiches for lunch - hope you enjoyed your day!
Karen, I only got past your first page of art and I love it I'm totally into the Day of the Day folk art. My spare bathroom and my guest bedroom is covered up in Dia de Los Muertos art,crosses and Saints and of course a lot of skeleton art and figurines. Living in Northern New Mexico it is not as popular as the the southern states, but Santa Fe has stores dedicated to the Holiday. I actually was in Mexico during that Holiday when I was 18 years old. I make wooden crosses with saints and angels tiny and some really large ones with paint, wood burning on the big ones and or decopage on the small ones I also use the metal Milagros on the smaller crosses

Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #243
Head Chef

JpMcgrew, thanks so much for your encouragement. Most people in the US don't understand the day of the dead - my sister thinks my paintings are "morbid." There is so much in the Mexican culture to celebrate. I feel very lucky to be here.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 AM   #244
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
JpMcgrew, thanks so much for your encouragement. Most people in the US don't understand the day of the dead - my sister thinks my paintings are "morbid." There is so much in the Mexican culture to celebrate. I feel very lucky to be here.
I have only heard about the day of the dead..I looked at you work and it is just beautiful..I do not think it morbid..I especially loved the picture you have of the tiny hummingbird in your back yard tree..I left you a message there..Thank you for adding beauty to the world.

kadesma
Old 03-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #245
Senior Cook

Chocolate Cookies are super BUT Chocolate Oaties are better healthwise
Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #246
Senior Cook

a 'pea-pickin' cake
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #247
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mark View Post
a 'pea-pickin' cake
A what?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #248
Senior Cook

Bananas are also delicious baked with Marmalade Sauce. Super
Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #249
Senior Cook

a southern tradition...legend has it that after the field hands - both black and white - came in from pea-pickin' they treated themselves w/an orange-pineapple cake...my version today is simple and good if you like mandarin oranges, pineapple, yellow cake mix, instant vanilla pudding and cool whip...extremly moist refrigerated cake for sheet cake or layers...one of my 'smash hit' best sellers...thankx for asking...I love to cook and food history
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
A what?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #250
Senior Cook

You will find Chocolate Oaties in my file. Hope you will try them. Easy to make and delicious

Tags
rye bread