"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3251
Head Chef
 
sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
no baking today just sewing my little heart out and decorating my tree. i will come to your house for dinner, sarah. wishful thinking.
Wish you could babe! but i'm on the other side of the planet...why dont i send u a virtual lunch box with some of each dish that i'm making...
__________________

__________________
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline  
Old 12-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3252
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
I made some bread earlier and now have a lemon pound cake in the oven. I am not really a baker, and this is the first pound cake. Let's see how this turns out.
__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline  
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #3253
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to athens100
Today I made Apple Cheddar Scones! They came out wonderfully!
Here's the recipe! apple and cheddar scones | smitten kitchen
__________________
“Your body is precious. It is our vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care.” ~Buddha
athens100 is offline  
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #3254
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
[QUOTE=sarah;948080]Wish you could babe! but i'm on the other side of the planet...why dont i send u a virtual lunch box with some of each dish that i'm making...[/QUOTE

sounds like a plan. i just mixed up some coleslaw to have with the chicken livers and rice. guess i will settle for that.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #3255
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
just decided i am going to bake a salt dough star for my country tree. think i will tint it red. lol does that count as baking? all the toppers my granddaughter saw either didn't fit the theme or were all busted up.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #3256
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We need replicators. We could post the recipe and the replicator code
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #3257
Cook
 
Frenchys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 81
pumpkin bread
__________________
Come and discover our cuisine, our ideas and test new tastes... live from France on FrenchysCuisine.com
Frenchys is offline  
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #3258
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
just decided i am going to bake a salt dough star for my country tree. think i will tint it red. lol does that count as baking? all the toppers my granddaughter saw either didn't fit the theme or were all busted up.
May I suggest that you not tint the dough. It usually comes out pink no matter how much food color you put in. You might want to make an egg wash and tint that and spread it on the star. i think that will work better. Just a suggestion.

I baked ginger cookies (a bit disappointing) and am now working on an apple spice bread.
__________________
joesfolk is offline  
Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #3259
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
May I suggest that you not tint the dough. It usually comes out pink no matter how much food color you put in. You might want to make an egg wash and tint that and spread it on the star. i think that will work better. Just a suggestion.

I baked ginger cookies (a bit disappointing) and am now working on an apple spice bread.

thanks for the advice. i found a country tin star (white) that is just the right size. so won't be doing this after all. good to know, though..years ago i made many salt dough ornaments . i stained with furniture stain to look like cookies. sprayed with a clear lacquer. that was about thirty years ago. don't know where they went. i think my daughter has them. i dried them in the micro. still a time consuming task. it did look really cute though.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #3260
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
thanks for the advice. i found a country tin star (white) that is just the right size. so won't be doing this after all. good to know, though..years ago i made many salt dough ornaments . i stained with furniture stain to look like cookies. sprayed with a clear lacquer. that was about thirty years ago. don't know where they went. i think my daughter has them. i dried them in the micro. still a time consuming task. it did look really cute though.
It does sound really cute. Do you still have the instructions?
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.