"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #3271
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
I started making a Christmas stollen yesterday. Yesterday, I made the walnut marzipan with rum, for the filling. Today, I will soak some fruit in rum to put in it, when I bake it on Thursday. It it will have a spice and sugar crust on top. Hopefully, it will turn out nice.
__________________

Mel! is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #3272
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
I started making a Christmas stollen yesterday. Yesterday, I made the walnut marzipan with rum, for the filling. Today, I will soak some fruit in rum to put in it, when I bake it on Thursday. It it will have a spice and sugar crust on top. Hopefully, it will turn out nice.
Sounds yummy. You made walnut marzipan?! Wow, how do you do that?
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now  
Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #3273
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Thanks SnickerDoodle,loved the sound of ur recipe,will be waiting for it,as i really wanna try it, but no rush,take ur time! :)
OK, sorry for the wait... I'll just link it:

Peanutty Chocolate Banana Bread

I didn't use any peanuts when I made it, just the peanut butter. The peanut butter flavor was very subtle and probably would have been much more balanced had I added the nuts. I also don't own the stoneware baking dish the recipe says to use so I just used my tin loaf pan and it turned out fine with no adjustments to oven temp/baking time. EXCELLENT bread! Enjoy!!
__________________
snickerdoodle is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #3274
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds yummy. You made walnut marzipan?! Wow, how do you do that?
If you have made the usual almond marzipan, then you can do it the same way with walnuts. If not, then cook ground walnuts with honey or sugar, some water(or rose or orange water) and a few splashes of rum, brandy or whiskey. You put them all in a pot and cook until it thickens to a paste. Then put it in the fridge or out in the garden overnight so it gets more solid. Then you can smear it onto cookies that have been baked as a filling, or in the middle of a fruit bread before baking. If you want very solid marzipan such as the ones found in shops, then put less water in it and honey solidifies better than sugar. After cooking let cool in the garden, and then press it into a solid mass.
Mel! is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #3275
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thank you Mel!, I had never even thought of making almond marzipan at home. Do you grind it with a meat grinder? What proportion of nuts to sugar/honey?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now  
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #3276
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 863
I grind the nuts with a coffee grinder, because nut flavours taste OK with coffee too. Proportions: I never measure them, but around the same quantity of honey as nuts, and go easy on the water. Also, go easy on the alcohol. A few tablespoons of alcohol max is enough. The cooking is a bit like the tecnique used to make jams and chutneys. You cook it enough so the sugar causes a sort of paste, rather than liquid. Dont worry if it still looks a bit liquidy while hot, because when the sugar and oil in the nuts cool it will be less liquidy.
Mel! is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #3277
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
I grind the nuts with a coffee grinder, because nut flavours taste OK with coffee too. Proportions: I never measure them, but around the same quantity of honey as nuts, and go easy on the water. Also, go easy on the alcohol. A few tablespoons of alcohol max is enough. The cooking is a bit like the tecnique used to make jams and chutneys. You cook it enough so the sugar causes a sort of paste, rather than liquid. Dont worry if it still looks a bit liquidy while hot, because when the sugar and oil in the nuts cool it will be less liquidy.
Thank you. I will give it a try. I love proper marzipan.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now  
Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #3278
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Spritz (butter) cookies, gingersnaps, peanut butter fudge, chocolate fudge, peppermint bark and 12 loaves of pumpkin bread. That's enough for today!
__________________
bakechef is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #3279
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Spritz (butter) cookies, gingersnaps, peanut butter fudge, chocolate fudge, peppermint bark and 12 loaves of pumpkin bread. That's enough for today!
Wow, you must be pooped, but your house must smell like heaven.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline  
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #3280
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Wow, you must be pooped, but your house must smell like heaven.
it does, and I'm on kind of a sugar high!
__________________

__________________
bakechef is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.