"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #3371
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I wasn't happy with this recipe. I got it from Land O Lakes site too!! Maybe if I use Alix's Lemon Cake recipe minus the lemon peel and proceed with the Caramel Apple concept it will be better.
i made this recipe this evening. i too did not like the cake part. too coarse for my taste. you may be onto something with the lemon cake recipe. i would just leave the lemon zest in it. will let you know if i want to make another right away.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #3372
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i made this recipe this evening. i too did not like the cake part. too coarse for my taste. you may be onto something with the lemon cake recipe. i would just leave the lemon zest in it. will let you know if i want to make another right away.
If you make it before I do, let me know.
I am itching to make "Scalloped Pineapple" again. I bought some sourdough bread tonight. I might try that. I think the fact that it is a heavier bread it might stand up better then the store brand cheap bread I used last time. I will let you know.

Tonight I made "French Bread Rolls to die for". I added a egg white wash and sprinkled on some dried onions.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #3373
Chef Extraordinaire

patti, i just found a recipe for cinnamon apple coffee cake. it uses a yellow cake mix. think i will use up the rest of my apples and make that. not really into the labor intensive upside down cake. if i like it will send recipe to you.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #3374
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
patti, i just found a recipe for cinnamon apple coffee cake. it uses a yellow cake mix. think i will use up the rest of my apples and make that. not really into the labor intensive upside down cake. if i like it will send recipe to you.

Ok, sounds good.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #3375
Head Chef

I baked these for the third time with a few minor tweaks - insanely good!
Thomas Keller's Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Food Gal Blog Archiv Tantalizing Preview: Ad Hoc Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe By Thomas Keller
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #3376
Sous Chef

I'm going to be making jello poke cupcakes for the bf's poker game. I have leftover crab dip for them from a party over the weekend (I made a double batch and saved half on purpose), and I might put out some cheese and crackers or something too
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #3377
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I'm going to be making jello poke cupcakes for the bf's poker game. I have leftover crab dip for them from a party over the weekend (I made a double batch and saved half on purpose), and I might put out some cheese and crackers or something too
my son is 53 years old and still loves mom's lemon poke cake. he requests it most years on his birthday. good job skittle
Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #3378
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I have made the poke-cake often, but never thought to make poke-cupcakes! Thanks for the idea. Another good one to make with the grand-kids. I hope I can get together with them soon. I am getting so many new ideas!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #3379
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo

my son is 53 years old and still loves mom's lemon poke cake. he requests it most years on his birthday. good job skittle
The cupcakes turned out great! They didn't have cake mix at the convenience store by my house (my bf took my car to work because he is getting his fixed) so I made the cake mix from scratch, used strawberry jello, and cut up some strawberries I had in the freezer (1 cup for 12 cup cakes). The thing that I thought was outstanding though, was the frosting. I had some regular white, vanilla frosting leftover from frosting sugar cookies over Christmas, and I mixed it about half and half with home made whipped cream. I whipped the cream so it was pretty thick. It is amazingly delicious. Soft and fluffy, but with more of a frosting flavor. To die for!! I think this is my new favorite frosting, and I was just trying to use it up ha ha
Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #3380
Chef Extraordinaire

skittles, i missed that you were baking cupcakes. what a clever idea. my great grandkids would love it. thanks.

Tags
rye bread