"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #4091
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Do u wanna make the whole cake into the university's logo? another good idea would be to keep the frosting white in keeping with the tradition, with the university logo done in one corner with butter cream or fondant or even marzipan? or u could even do the logo on the side of the cake or do several of them spread on all sides of the cake..

I was wondering if the cake itself could be orange and blue instead of red. I am not sure about the cocoa distorting the color of the cake batter. Then decorate it simply. Also thought about making them as cupcakes, I thought it might make a nice tailgate item. Now many people use New York style Black and White cookies but change the frosting to half orange and half blue. They are good but becoming sort of a cliche. I could put the coloring into a white cake batter but, I thought the red velvet would be a little different. I guess I need to get into the kitchen and experiment a little.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #4092
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I was wondering if the cake itself could be orange and blue instead of red. I am not sure about the cocoa distorting the color of the cake batter. Then decorate it simply. Also thought about making them as cupcakes, I thought it might make a nice tailgate item. Now many people use New York style Black and White cookies but change the frosting to half orange and half blue. They are good but becoming sort of a cliche. I could put the coloring into a white cake batter but, I thought the red velvet would be a little different. I guess I need to get into the kitchen and experiment a little.
You could probably skip the cocoa, and achieve any color you like, if you have cocoa in the batter, it will make the orange more of an autumn muted orange and the blue a bit darker.
Wilton paste colors would work well and are more cost effective than buying the bottles in the grocery store.

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #4093
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I made some goofy looking cupcakes tonight.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #4094
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
I made some goofy looking cupcakes tonight.
Very cute BakeChef!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #4095
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
i made some goofy looking cupcakes tonight.

very cute
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #4096
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
i made some goofy looking cupcakes tonight.

Attachment 12237
Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #4097
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

thanks y'all!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #4098
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
my suggestion would be to use a vanilla cake recipe if u want to color the batter cuz yes the cocoa WILL effect the colors.Why dont u make red velvet cup cakes and tint the frostings instead of the cake batter.blue and orange swirls or blue and orange spider web? i think they will look cute!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #4099
Executive Chef

Sugar cookies decorated to look like they are veined and bleeding (for holloween) and caramel apple cookies.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #4100
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

For putting in custard or raspberry jam?
No, a peanut butter cup!

Tags
rye bread