"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #4271
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I learned the apricot glaze working in the bakery, I use it at home now, it's perfect for sweet rolls and fruit tarts.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #4272
Sous Chef

I cant find the post where somebody was asking for what the glaze for hot cross buns is made out of, but as far as I know, the glaze is made by brushing egg whites onto the buns before baking.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #4273
Executive Chef

Buongiorno,

We are going to be sharing the baking of Calzones for Saturday Lunch ...
The filling: (1) eggplant parmigiana with globs of melted Italian cheeses in a calzone and Number (2) is a local Apulian called in English Rustic Green & White, and it is made with Spring Onion, Broccoli, Garlic, Olives, Anchovies ...

Margi.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #4274
Master Chef

Easter Meat Pie (Pizzagaina) and cheesecake.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #4275
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I learned the apricot glaze working in the bakery, I use it at home now, it's perfect for sweet rolls and fruit tarts.
When you watch the travel shows, they sometimes visit pastry shops in Europe. The tarts and other goodies in the window are painted with the apricot glaze. It was a favorite of Julia Child's. When I make a fruit tart I always paint the fruit with apricot glaze. It gives it such a nice shine.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #4276
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Easter Meat Pie (Pizzagaina) and cheesecake.
I love the filling of the Pizzagaina Pie, but eveyone I have had made with a bread dough, the dough is just too thick. The ones made with a pie crust I have found the bottom crust not cook very well. I usually stick to the ones made in bakeries. They seem to get it right.

I made one once many moons ago and I used puff pastry. It took two sheet to get the bottom and sides big enough for the spring form pan. Then another sheet for the top. But it was thin enough so that you weren't eating all crust nd not enough filling. It is a lot of work. And depending what you put in it, can run into $$$$.

Isn't that what holidays are all about? Spending a lot of money for a big meal and a good feeling when you leave the table? Then when everyone tells you how good the meal was, you tell them it was no problem to make after you slaved for three days to get everything done. Time for a nap. Who deserves it more than the cook.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #4277
Senior Cook

Tahini pie

Per aspera ad astra
Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #4278
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love the filling of the Pizzagaina Pie, but eveyone I have had made with a bread dough, the dough is just too thick. The ones made with a pie crust I have found the bottom crust not cook very well. I usually stick to the ones made in bakeries. They seem to get it right.

I made one once many moons ago and I used puff pastry. It took two sheet to get the bottom and sides big enough for the spring form pan. Then another sheet for the top. But it was thin enough so that you weren't eating all crust nd not enough filling. It is a lot of work. And depending what you put in it, can run into $$$$.

Isn't that what holidays are all about? Spending a lot of money for a big meal and a good feeling when you leave the table? Then when everyone tells you how good the meal was, you tell them it was no problem to make after you slaved for three days to get everything done. Time for a nap. Who deserves it more than the cook.

I use a pie/pastry crust. Here are 2 old photos from a past Easter. I will hopefully get some better pics this year.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #4279
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I use a pie/pastry crust. Here are 2 old photos from a past Easter. I will hopefully get some better pics this year.

That's what I am talking about. The bottom crust is not so thick that there is very little room for the filling. It is not all crust.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #4280
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That's what I am talking about. The bottom crust is not so thick that there is very little room for the filling. It is not all crust.
Thank you. I used to make a LARGE deep pie. It was well rounded over the top of the pie plate like around 6 inches deep. But now I make them level with the plate so they cook quicker. LOL

I think I will bake late tonight or tomorrow. I need to run a few errands.

Tags
rye bread