"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 AM   #4311
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boracay, Philippines
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I would absolutely love to have the recipie for dog biscuits. Our dog, max, is so fussy it would be great to make him treats.
This is very basic and you can add things your dog would like. Chicken instead of beef and so forth.
I don't cut them into fancy shapes because they are rewards for learning tricks so only small pieces at a time.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered milk
  • 1 tablespoon wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
  • cup bacon grease
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup ice water
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, powdered milk, wheat germ and beef bouillon granules. Stir in the bacon grease and egg. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is wet enough to stick together. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Place biscuits 1 inch apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  • Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Cool before serving.
__________________

__________________
BoracayB is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #4312
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
I just pulled a batch of granola out of the oven and the house smells like Thanksgiving!

More like faking than baking!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #4313
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
We're totally out of plain white bread and I "feel the need" for some toast, so I'm going to make a couple of loaves of bread today. If I have time and feel like it I may make a Pullman loaf, too. I'll just have to see how the time goes.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #4314
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoracayB View Post
This is very basic and you can add things your dog would like. Chicken instead of beef and so forth.
I don't cut them into fancy shapes because they are rewards for learning tricks so only small pieces at a time.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered milk
  • 1 tablespoon wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
  • cup bacon grease
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup ice water
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, powdered milk, wheat germ and beef bouillon granules. Stir in the bacon grease and egg. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is wet enough to stick together. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Place biscuits 1 inch apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  • Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Cool before serving.
Thank you very much! I will try them out & let you know if max eats them.
__________________
simonbaker is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #4315
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Right now I'm in the process of baking myself a cake for my birthday tomorrow. It's a 2-layer butter cake with a raspberry mousse filling, frosted with a dark chocolate ganache. Wish me luck!
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #4316
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Happy Birthday!!

That sounds like a wonderful cake, would love to see pictures.

Good luck!
__________________
simonbaker is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #4317
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Happy Birthday!!

That sounds like a wonderful cake, would love to see pictures.

Good luck!
Thanks! I don't know what I'm worried about - I've made this cake before with lots of tweaks. I guess it's because it's my birthday - I always get nervous when baking for birthdays - never mind I've been baking cakes forever!

Anyway, I haven't really learned how to use a digital camera (do you believe it???), but here's the basic recipe with a photo. I make 2 cake layers instead of one.
Chocolate Rhapsody
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #4318
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Thanks! I don't know what I'm worried about - I've made this cake before with lots of tweaks. I guess it's because it's my birthday - I always get nervous when baking for birthdays - never mind I've been baking cakes forever!

Anyway, I haven't really learned how to use a digital camera (do you believe it???), but here's the basic recipe with a photo. I make 2 cake layers instead of one.
Chocolate Rhapsody
That looks wonderful. I will definitely try it out. Do you strain the seeds out of the raspberries for the center layer?
__________________
simonbaker is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #4319
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
That looks wonderful. I will definitely try it out. Do you strain the seeds out of the raspberries for the center layer?
Absolutely!
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #4320
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Boracay, I know you didn't list garlic powder in the ingredients, but you list in the instructions. Garlic and onions (among other things that we can eat) is toxic to dogs.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.