"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #4781
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I heard that too!
Guess I'll have to make lemon curd this weekend.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #4782
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Guess I'll have to make lemon curd this weekend.
I have limes and eggs....sigh, our work is never done.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #4783
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Now you've done it...you said Lemon Curd Tarts!
ROFL...oops
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #4784
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I heard that too!
Sorry DL
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #4785
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
Is lemon curd like the lemon filling for lemon meringue pie?
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #4786
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Is lemon curd like the lemon filling for lemon meringue pie?
Very similar. It's not difficult to make and you can also get it in a small jar in the jams and preserves aisle of the market.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #4787
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Very similar. It's not difficult to make and you can also get it in a small jar in the jams and preserves aisle of the market.
I have tried that bottled stuff and it looked creamy/milky NOT glassy like my pie filling and it really wasn't tart enough. I chucked it out because it tasted funny.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #4788
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
This is PF's recipe, TNT, which I have done with lime juice also. I would put this up against any pie filling. Awesome.

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #4789
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This is PF's recipe, TNT, which I have done with lime juice also. I would put this up against any pie filling. Awesome.

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).
Almost the same as mine but I add cornstarch and water and only yolks of 3 eggs.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now  
Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #4790
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet
Almost the same as mine but I add cornstarch and water and only yolks of 3 eggs.
I don't bake, and I bow to those who do. Sure wish I had my Great Aunt's lemon merengue pie recipe, mile high merengue, lemon filling that would set your teeth on edge. Silky, sweet. Dang, it was good! She was well known for her pies.

Also, this is Princess Fiona's Lemon Curd recipe, don't know if it is interchangeable with pie filling, though it sure sounds like it might be.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.