What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Envious of all of you who can bake. Its MUCH too hot to consider turning on an oven and I'm not proficient enough with the BBQ to figure out how to bake in that thing. Oh well, when it gets cooler I'll kick it back into gear. Til then I'll just read this thread and dream and drool!

ummm, aren't you in Canada? I have been having an unusually cool August, even have a wool blanket on the bed, simply unheard of in these parts.:huh:

Yes I'm in Canada, and its darned toasty up here. Its been a really warm summer all things considered. We've had a nice spell of heat this week that is supposed to last a few more days at least. Its currently somewhere in the high 90's. I can't convert quickly enough at the moment...I think our predicted high today is supposed to be about 102F.

high today is supposed to be about 102F.

102F?:shock:

We have been having lows in the low 50's and highs in the 70's. It really is like late fall here. I have not mentioned it here because I was afraid I would jinx this weather. I do not do well in our typical August weather so I am one happy camper

oh, I am baking a custard today..

Yep, we are having another hot spell. LOL, we had a crappy spring so this makes up for it I guess. Enjoy your custard. I'm sitting here thinking longingly of a lemon poppyseed cake and can't make one for a while!

I am baking an angel food cake. I have some blueberries and strawberries to serve with it.
By the way, what can I do with 12 egg yolks?

Make creme brulee, ice cream, gelato, lemon curd, key lime pie, Boston cream pie, chocolate cream pie, natilla, ...

I am baking an angel food cake. I have some blueberries and strawberries to serve with it.
By the way, what can I do with 12 egg yolks?

GourmetSleuth - What to do with left over egg yolks

Left-over egg yolks can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days and used in pastries, sauces, mayonnaise, as a binding in meatloaves and patties, custards and so on.

They can be frozen for up to a month, but require the addition of 1/8 teaspoon salt for every 4 egg yolks (¼cup) or ½ teaspoon sugar depending on whether you want to use them for sweet or savoury purposes. Remember to label the container with the number of egg yolks and the date.

I couldn't find my card reader to upload this from yesterday's baking for a funeral luncheon. After much looking in nooks and crannies, I did manage to find it in the last place I looked. :LOL: Next weekend is the quarterly bake sale for the church. I better get to the store since I'm down to just 10# of flour in the cupboard.

img_666865_0_58f0f93025c15ae25f4ce1669d6d0625.jpg

I found some new cooking vessels at a garage sale for NYT bread. The name "GLASBAKE" is on the bottom of each one and I was told they are from the 50's. Both are in excellent condition. I'll have to adjust the recipe slightly so I can make sure each vessel is optimized, but it should only be about 25-30%. Kind of cute, don't ya think? I baked these this morning with a round loaf as well (I always make at least 2 loaves, otherwise it's not optimizing the oven.)

img_666874_0_4217a9dd1eaaed30497ce3372c724f4a.jpg

img_666874_1_c09ea9fc61dcea5745f058522259788c.jpg

I split the recipe 1/3 and 2/3 and ended up with a couple of nice laves of bread in the traditional loaf style. Nice for just me and DW. They'll fill out nice with a bit more dough in each one. I never stop looking at garage sale for baking goodies.

JoeV

wonderful , Joe. I must start going to yard sales and flea markets. Who knows what goodies are there ?

Probably biscuits. All this talk about biscuits on the other thread is making me hungry for some. Besides, I have all that nice rendered lard in the fridge. :)

Gad JoeV, those are incredible, lucky find, you and I get lucky some times eh?

I'm doing GRK's banana oatmeal cookies and one loaf of NYT bread. New twist to the bread and hope it works.
I replaced some of the regular flour with masa harina 2 parts apf and 1 part mh. The dough is gorgeous and so fragrant and building nicely, hope it turns out well, it will, the husband loves this type of thing.

Gad JoeV, those are incredible, lucky find, you and I get lucky some times eh?

I'm doing GRK's banana oatmeal cookies and one loaf of NYT bread. New twist to the bread and hope it works.
I replaced some of the regular flour with masa harina 2 parts apf and 1 part mh. The dough is gorgeous and so fragrant and building nicely, hope it turns out well, it will, the husband loves this type of thing.

Lucky? If you knew just how many of those sale I stop at, you would say I'm crazy, and I'd be better off just ordering what I want online and save the gas.:LOL:

Hope your 'experiment' turns out. Be sure to let us know. I'm baking a batch of sammich rolls to fill the freezer. Ate the last one for lunch today.

DW is making BLT's for dinner out of NYT bread. Boy are they delicious with tomatoes from the garden. Urp!

JoeV

Artisan 5 min a day bread , one with cheddar cheese and basil and one with sweet red peppers, onion powder , and ground rosemary.

nuttin, goin to work instead.
the NYT bread from yesterday turned out wonderful.
the addition of Masa Harina was an unexpected different flavor.
baked it in my LeCreuset heart new baker, so it was in the shape of love!:-p
didn't ever get to GRK's banana cookies, ran out of time, did frozen choco chippers instead for the man.

I baked a crostata for 4 last night with Granny Smith apples. The crust was quite simple to make. Tonight I'll make it again except I'll use an egg wash over the crust with sprinkled cinnamon sugar for a nicer finish.

I baked a crostata for 4 last night with Granny Smith apples. The crust was quite simple to make. Tonight I'll make it again except I'll use an egg wash over the crust with sprinkled cinnamon sugar for a nicer finish.
Emmm that sounds so good Dina. I plan to make one as well, but will be using nectarines..We have a tree full and I hate to see them go to waste.
kades

Emmm that sounds so good Dina. I plan to make one as well, but will be using nectarines..We have a tree full and I hate to see them go to waste.
kades
You just gave me a great idea Kades. I can use our seasonal peaches and nectarines for a nice dessert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom