"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #4931
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
3 cakes one for my dialysis pals and 2 for the nurses. that's how I spent tuesday while DH was at work. 2 were chocolate with mayo and chocolate chips, one was white with coconutWas this morning fun
kades
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #4932
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
All sounds lovely Kades
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #4933
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker
Sorry but they all sold today. I have to tell myself I am allergic to them not to eat them. Today dh made a banana cream & a coconut cream pie.
I bet I am too late for these pies, but they sound fantastic. :)
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #4934
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Sorry but they all sold today. I have to tell myself I am allergic to them not to eat them. Today dh made a banana cream & a coconut cream pie.
simonbaker,

I really like to make banana cream pie but, when I make it the banana slices turn black and watery if the pie is not served quickly. Do you have any secrets you could share that might help with this.

The only solution I have seen came from a diner in our area that makes a plain cream pie and tops each slice with half a banana at the time the customer orders. It works but, it seems like cheating to me.

Thanks,
B
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #4935
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
simonbaker,

I really like to make banana cream pie but, when I make it the banana slices turn black and watery if the pie is not served quickly. Do you have any secrets you could share that might help with this.

The only solution I have seen came from a diner in our area that makes a plain cream pie and tops each slice with half a banana at the time the customer orders. It works but, it seems like cheating to me.
Thanks,
Have you tried using lemon on the banana slices to keep them from turning black? I don't put any banana slices on the top. I line the bottom with slices, some cream, more slices and then top with more cream. I also line the sides with banana slices. They turn black due to be exposed to the air. If I must have a topping for the pie, I will make a meringue with Just Whites.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #4936
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have you tried using lemon on the banana slices to keep them from turning black? I don't put any banana slices on the top. I line the bottom with slices, some cream, more slices and then top with more cream. I also line the sides with banana slices. They turn black due to be exposed to the air. If I must have a topping for the pie, I will make a meringue with Just Whites.
That is pretty much what I do.

Maybe the only solution is to eat more and faster!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #4937
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
I have an egg custard pie in the oven!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #4938
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
That sounds lovely Bea
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #4939
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 9
This afternoon I will bake a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. Then for dinner I'll make a pan of chicken enchiladas. Saturday I will bake some bread and make some pork stew with apples, onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms. I can't wait!
__________________
kansasteddybear is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #4940
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Lots of cooking there Kansas...sounds great!
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.