"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #531
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I played with the N.Y. Times bread recipe. Added a whole head of roasted garlic and a boatload of chopped fresh rosemary. The bread is about ready to come out of the oven and the aroma is absolutely killer.

Also have two loaves of plain white loaf bread finishing a second rise. They'll go in the oven in about 5 minutes.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #532
Senior Cook

I baked a pecan pie with my mom. =)

Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #533
Executive Chef

Not any baking or cooking for me today!
Since dh was working on Mother's day, we went out to breakfast this morning and he's making dinner tonight.
hee hee hee. I feel so lazy.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #534
Executive Chef

Made a 16 inch 3 " high contour pan of chocolate cake will freeze and tomorrow or the next day I will make a 12", 8" and 4" of the same. I'm making a baby shower cake for a fairly large party. I know tiered cakes are for weddings but I like to make them for other occasions. It will be covered with a pale yellow fondant I will then cut out dots from cake and replace with periwinkle and white dots to match invitations. The mother of the daughter wants baby bottles on the cake I haven't decided yet whether to go with decorated sugar cookies or fondant for the bottles. The baby bottles will be a bit of a challenge they are going to need to be at least 2 1/2 to 3 " tall. Any ideas anyone can throw my way would be appreciated. The shower is on the 24th this month.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #535
Head Chef

Sounds wonderful - be sure to take a picture to share with us!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #536
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
The baby bottles will be a bit of a challenge they are going to need to be at least 2 1/2 to 3 " tall. Any ideas anyone can throw my way would be appreciated. The shower is on the 24th this month.
JP, I made a cake awhile back for a 60th birthday party. The guy loved woodworking and his daughters wanted the cake to depict that. I needed to put tools on it and I sure wasn't hand forming saws, hammers, etc. out of fondant or gumpaste. Instead, I went to my local cake supply store and found chocolate moulds for what I needed them. I made the tools out of white melting chocolate and the tool box out of red (from the same store). I was able to paint the tools with food colorings (dilute with a drop of vodka and it drys faster and smoother than water).

I am sure you can find baby bottle moulds in the size you need and maybe other ones you like as well.

Here is the cake so you can see the effect. The rustic look of it was intentional as is most of his work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BillTheBuilder2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	4090  

http://beinglydia.com
Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #537
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
JP, I made a cake awhile back for a 60th birthday party. The guy loved woodworking and his daughters wanted the cake to depict that. I needed to put tools on it and I sure wasn't hand forming saws, hammers, etc. out of fondant or gumpaste. Instead, I went to my local cake supply store and found chocolate moulds for what I needed them. I made the tools out of white melting chocolate and the tool box out of red (from the same store). I was able to paint the tools with food colorings (dilute with a drop of vodka and it drys faster and smoother than water).

I am sure you can find baby bottle moulds in the size you need and maybe other ones you like as well.

Here is the cake so you can see the effect. The rustic look of it was intentional as is most of his work.
I have some candy molds but they are either about 1/2 inch and then I have one about 6" double sided which I will use for the top of cake'. By the way that cake you made is a great looking cake. I have the 3" cookie cutter in a baby bottle shape I know you can roll and cut fondant out and paint them but don't exactly know how food color will work I will experiment with your vodka method I will be attaching bigger bottles to the sides of cake.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #538
Certified Cake Maniac

I find that gel, paste or powder colours work well with the vodka and on fondant. Don't try the normal liquid colours you get at the grocery store.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 05-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #539
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I find that gel, paste or powder colours work well with the vodka and on fondant. Don't try the normal liquid colours you get at the grocery store.
I have the gel type.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #540
Assistant Cook

Today I'm baking some pineapple coconut bread I sampled at 'Ohana at Walt Disney World a few years. I recently found the recipe on allearsnet.com and wanted to recreate the experience I had with it when I had it back in 2003. Right now the dough is rising and the coconut/pineapple filling is macerating in the fridge :) Should be great for breakfast....maybe with a little cream cheese?

Tags
rye bread