What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to resist this, but I lost. Am making an apple pie, crust dough is chilling in the frig. I have been picking some lovely apples lately, working on a tree right now that stongly resembles a winesap.

and some oven roasted sweet potatoes

Yes, it is too darn hot here to bake, but I did it anyway. My DH (aka Cookie Man) was out of cookies, which takes some of the sparkle out of his life. And a dear friend has had a death in the family, so needs some comfort. Made chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips and toasted walnuts. They are good, but need some special handling here. I let them cool on a rack, but if I leave them too long, they begin to absorb the humidity and turn back into globs of cookie dough. So I cook them a little crisp, then pack them away airtight as quickly as I can.

Pumpernickel color agent come out very well, so I gave in to temptation and have a new batch of dark rye working. Just starting it's first rise. We'll see how it comes out. Should be ready when #1 Judge (DW) gets home from work. Anxious to see how many "thumbs up" I get.

I have a pizza base left from last Saturday's demo, so tonight I'll roast off some veggies, smear the base with pesto, top with the roasted veggies and fresh mozzarella. :chef:
too easy, and yummy in the tummy. ;)

I'm also thinking about Coconut Pie for breaking the fast on Thursday, so if I can get one made before the debate, I might just do that, too.

Made 2 loaves of NYT whole wheat (25% whole wheat flour) in my newly acquired Thrift Store bakers.

img_701368_0_7e8178568e599870aa989189d6a71896.jpg

And 2 loaves of seeded Italian. I made one braided for a dinner we're hosting tonight. Should have made it shorter so it would have risen more, but it will be fine as it is. I just won't show them the regular loaf.:LOL:

img_701368_1_dc531dd821375e339153e8e5c94e72bc.jpg

JoeV

Made 2 loaves of NYT whole wheat (25% whole wheat flour) in my newly acquired Thrift Store bakers.

img_701509_0_7e8178568e599870aa989189d6a71896.jpg

And 2 loaves of seeded Italian. I made one braided for a dinner we're hosting tonight. Should have made it shorter so it would have risen more, but it will be fine as it is. I just won't show them the regular loaf.:LOL:

img_701509_1_dc531dd821375e339153e8e5c94e72bc.jpg

JoeV

Joe, I am so jealous. I have tried a few times and I can't get my NYT Bread to rise.

the "snicker doodle" pie i made yesterday, is not a keeper.

very confusing recipe , had to read it four times. not really much flavor like a snicker doodle cookie. very very sweet, took brown sugar, powdered sugar and regular sugar.

the bread however was wonderful as always.:chef:

Butterrmilk, potato, honey bread. Yum, yum and yum. Perfect day for baking, too. But we're really going to get it Sunday night and Monday. The santa Anas are upon us and it's wildfire season once again. For those who aren't familiar with the term, Santa Anas are "off shore" winds; strong, hot ones, that blow from the east to the west, out of the high desert. With them, even the smallest spark can ignite the wildfires, especially with all the trees, bushes and grasses being bone dry. Last year was horrible; entire mountains on fire. We had to evacuate but luckily we not burned out.

so true dave, makes me worry just to think about it. i was told to leave last year by reverse 911. my son is five min. from me. he could see hills where fire was and stayed put. so i did also. lots of smoke and ash but no fire here. my friend in park left with all her six cats. thomas and i just hunkered down. lots of other people left also but trickled back in next morning.

it is a scary business. :(:ohmy:

Joe, I am so jealous. I have tried a few times and I can't get my NYT Bread to rise.
The only reason I can think of that your NYT does not rise is your yeast. Are you using 1/4 t of INSTANT YEAST? If you're using Active Dry Yeast, the stuff in the little foil packages, go get Instant Yeast and give it a shot again.

JoeV

The only reason I can think of that your NYT does not rise is your yeast. Are you using 1/4 t of INSTANT YEAST? If you're using Active Dry Yeast, the stuff in the little foil packages, go get Instant Yeast and give it a shot again.

JoeV

I am using Instant Yeast. It has worked using other recipes??????? I just make a loaf of French bread the other day using the same yeast. I have a small bag.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom