"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #51
Senior Cook
Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
what I baked today

Well, I made 2 big loaves of ww bread, with flour I just ground. I've been using the great idea of baking it inside the Dutch oven for all my bread. Made a 1# loaf to give away and made a 2 # loaf for us. Already had to cut into it and make reuben paninis for supper with it along with corn, potato cheesy chowder. I dumped in the leftover steamed summer squash and red peppers that we had last night and it really set it off with a lovely flavor. Then I baked up my usual baked egg custards which we can't seem to get enough of. After that I was hankering for a yellow cake with choc. frosting, so I baked up a really nice easy one, half a recipe's worth because there's just the two of us and we really didn't need it anyway. Hopefully it will last a few days.
I did all this because we were snowed in again. We got 9 inches today. Hubby's been out blowing snow 2 times today. I got all that baking done, plus painted a new watercolor pic, and practiced my fiddle too.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #52
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm craving some baked apples stuffed with nuts, brown sugar, oatmeal and spices. I may just bake some tomorrow morning.

If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #53
Executive Chef
I'm going to bake Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins later today, they are the boys favorite!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
Where can you find cinnamon chips? Do they just sell them at the grocery store?
We have a bakery in town that makes cinnamon chip bread and it has brown sugar baked onto the top. Think I'm gonna go get some tomorrow.
So many sweets and so little time. Its no wonder I've had so many cavities.
yep they were right next to the chocolate chips in the baking aisle. Made by hershey. I think other companies may make them too.... I also saw somw cherry chips. I'm gonna grab those on todays trip.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #55
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
I'm going to bake Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins later today, they are the boys favorite!
Those sound tasty. I could see why they would be a favorite.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #56
Certified Cake Maniac
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I'm craving some baked apples stuffed with nuts, brown sugar, oatmeal and spices. I may just bake some tomorrow morning.
Dina, I am with you on the apples, but I think I will do an apple crisp. Another old family favorite is apple pan dowdy where you shred the apples and wrap them in cinnamon, brown sugar and raisin sprinkled bisquit dough and then bake it in a sauce. Only problem is my grandmother never had a recipe and I only know how to make enough for an army
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

Old 02-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #57
Master Chef
I didn't bake today but hubby has banana bread in the oven.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #58
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Yes, Lefse, Number 21 would be perfect for you - much like mine! Let me know when you get it and I will send you some more awesome recipes based on weight!
that's what I was looking for, one like yours since maybe I could remember how to use it
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
Old 02-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #59
Senior Cook
Just out of the oven

DH loves lemon meringue pie so I just finished baking my first one. Sitting on the cooking rack right now. DH is standing by to give it the ol' taste test. Now I only have another 20 lemons to use up. Next up, suziquzie's lemon sherbert!
CAB Cooks
Old 02-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #60
Senior Cook
I made banana walnut muffins for today's breakfast and just took a batch of THE FOOD PROCESSOR'S BIBLE pecan rolls out of the oven.
By the way, my almost new 11 cup Cuisinart food processor decided this recipe was too much for it and shut down. It was only 3 cups of flour!!!!!

Closed Thread

rye bread