"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #671
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes, Joe, I use parchment, too. I don't even bother using flour, cornmeal or nonstick spray on my parchment paper.

Been using the parchment for close to a year with fantastic success.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #672
Certified Cake Maniac

I made some cranberry almond cake mix cookies using a yellow cake mix and they turned out really good. I used dried cranberries, slivered almonds and almond extract. They are part of dessert. I am going to get another batch of NYT bread started tonight for my MIL who is coming over to visit tomorrow. I am making some buttermilk buscuits for supper too.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #673
Hospitality Queen

Just made Paula Deen's brown sugar cookies. The house smells like heaven!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #674
Head Chef

OK, so I have to admit that I have NEVER made the NYT bread. Guess I am not a genuine DC'er. I have looked at the recipe - do I have to leave it on the counter to rise? 'Cause our room temp here greatly exceeds 70F - can I put it in the fridge instead and just leave it there longer? Has this already been discussed somewhere? I am getting jealous, looking at all this beautiful bread.....help.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #675
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
OK, so I have to admit that I have NEVER made the NYT bread. Guess I am not a genuine DC'er. I have looked at the recipe - do I have to leave it on the counter to rise? 'Cause our room temp here greatly exceeds 70F - can I put it in the fridge instead and just leave it there longer? Has this already been discussed somewhere? I am getting jealous, looking at all this beautiful bread.....help.
Don't worry Karen, I haven't made it either.
All this talk about it makes me want to try though!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #676
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:

Don't put it in the fridge, Karen. Our house isn't air-conditioned and my upstairs (second floor) office was 94F today. I just put my NYT dough/slop, covered, in the "least hot" part of my house during the summer months. I won't tell you what gyrations I go through in the wintertime.

The dough is very forgiving and withstands abuse quite gracefully. I've abused it in ways I won't even say and it always comes out fabulously.

So....just get goin' and make yourself some.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #677
Head Chef

OK, Katie - I'll try it. What do I have to lose? A few cups of flour and ONLY a quarter teaspoon of yeast. I have a perfect cast iron dutch oven for it, and I'm pretty well stocked with parchment paper, and a friend bringing me some more from the US next week. Thanks for the quick answer!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #678
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I'm thinking of trying cinnamon rolls tonight. Will report back with the results if I do it.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #679
Hospitality Queen

ooooooooooh cinnamon rolls! Those are one of my all time favorites.

Karen, I've not tried the NYT bread either, but I'm with you...all this talk about it really is making me want to try it. I may wait, however for a couple of weeks, till the kids are out of school and the schedule goes back to the lazy days of summer :)
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #680
Master Chef

Quote:
Karen, you are a genuine DC'er... not making the bread doesn't make you less of a DC'er. You're among friends here.
LadyCook

Tags
rye bread