What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was good. My gf claims it was the best sourdough ever: chewy, with the right sourness to it. This was actually the second loaf of it, I made one Friday night as well and it was so popular here that I had to make another. Friday's loaf was pretty much by the book. Sundays loaf I hurried a bit, I used a bit more starter and did a couple french folds during bulk fermentation in order to develop the gluten more quickly. There was little if any noticeable difference between the two loaves, despite the different treatment.

Here's a pic of what's left. Not especially high, but the crumb is nicely open.

Russ,

The volume of your loaf looks fine, the height is limited by the diameter of your cooking vessel. If you want it higher, either increase your ingredients by 25-50% so they fill out the pan, or use a pan that is smaller in diameter. If you have a nice sized pot (which it appears you do), I would increase the ingredients by 25%, and if you're still not getting the height, then go to 50%. I have several pots that get a 150% sized recipe. My oblong baker gets 150%, and the loaf looks like this:

img_728261_0_4f7a76ffce0c3174149082ed3fdbd7c5.jpg

Here is a comparison between standard and 150%:

img_728261_1_b511ae389a43759ff462ce92b01e44a5.jpg

JoeV

That's it! JoeV, I'm comin over.
I've had it with you tempting me with your wonderful looking treats.
Knock it off! < Then invite me over.:ROFLMAO:
Sleeping Cookies/Magic 6 Way Cookies/Triple lemon bundt cake.
I'd dare to take a picture if they are lovely, even slightly lovely.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Attachments

• hide.gif
    hide.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 71
I've been playing around trying to create a Christmas Breakfast Casserole. I think I found the one I'm going with this year! :chef:

Attachments

• holiday-breakfast-casserole-0.jpg
    holiday-breakfast-casserole-0.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 63
1 pound of bacon
about 3 cups of seasoned croutons
10 ounces of Velveeta cheese, grated
8 eggs
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 tablespoon of Gulden’s Spicy Brown Mustard
2 plum tomatoes, diced

Sleeping Cookies/Magic 6 Way Cookies/Triple lemon bundt cake.
I'd dare to take a picture if they are lovely, even slightly lovely.
We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm sure they will be beautiful!!
Can you share the recipe for the bundt cake? One can NEVER have
too many lemom recipes.

Thanks!! Smiles, PDS

Yum! I'd love to learn how to make challah. How did yours turn out Alix?

IF you have made bread other than NYT, Challah is not any more difficult. Here is a recipe I found for you that is very similar to one that I used in the pictures above (I don't have permission to distribute the one I was given).

Challah Recipe

You can make this recipe as one large loaf or two smaller loaves, and it can be baked in a standard loaf pan or braided and cooked on a stone or I've even seen braided loaves baked in loaf pans. For the braiding instructions go to :

Braid a Six-Strand Challah Bread Loaf | Expert Village Videos

Baking a Four-Strand Challah Bread Loaf | Expert Village Videos

Or, you can even do a three strand braid like braiding hair.

There's nothing to be afraid of with Challah Bread, except possible weight gain from eating way too much of it.:LOL: I gave a loaf to a customer today and they had it for lunch. The 85 year young grandmother was there and said that in all her years of baking bread (she baked weekly most of her life) she has never tastes a better loaf of bread than this Challah Bread (just wait until I get her a loaf of my Italian herb NYT bread. That will make her dentures dance!:ROFLMAO:). It is really delicious, and you owe it to yourself to make it at least once. If you have kids around it would be fun for them to help with the braiding.

There, now you have no excuse for not trying this great bread.

Joseph the Gentile Baker:chef:

Pack your fat pants and catch the red-eye to Cleveland. We have a couple of extra bedrooms since the girls moved out on their own.

Mea Culpa for "leading you into temptation.":LOL:

Joe

Pack your fat pants and catch the red-eye to Cleveland.Okay, hello they're all at GoodWill We have a couple of extra bedrooms since the girls moved out on their own. Again, hello, I'd only need one bedroom, I'm kinda small.Mea Culpa for "leading you into temptation." No JoeV, it's lead us NOT into temptation but deliver us from evil.............and to me, your breads and my rumpus would for sure = evil......gotta get your verbiage straight here buddy:ROFLMAO::LOL::wacko:

Attachments

• brazz.gif
    brazz.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 104
  • hide.gif
    hide.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 101
  • high5.gif
    high5.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 115
Russ,

The volume of your loaf looks fine, the height is limited by the diameter of your cooking vessel. If you want it higher, either increase your ingredients by 25-50% so they fill out the pan, or use a pan that is smaller in diameter. If you have a nice sized pot (which it appears you do), I would increase the ingredients by 25%, and if you're still not getting the height, then go to 50%. I have several pots that get a 150% sized recipe. My oblong baker gets 150%, and the loaf looks like this: [pictures snipped since they appear just a few posts up anyway]
JoeV

Thanks, Joe.

I wasn't actually complaining about the height, mostly commenting about it as I was answering your in which one of your complaints about SDNK was that it was hard to get height out of it. I'm pretty happy with the shape as is.

And I've already added your increased loaf sizes for NKB to my repertoire - you gave me that tip some time ago and I do appreciate and use it, especially when baking in the oblong baker.

Very nice looking loaves, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom