What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried a recipe for a peanut butter loaf bread for my son. No idea if it's any good yet.

I'm going to bake Banana Nut Bread today. Going directly to the freezer! In fact, I hope to hide it so the urchins will leave it alone for a week and a half:angel:

Either tonight or tomorrow, I'll be baking off some chocolate chunk/toasted pecan shortbread balls. I baked some last weekend and was not impressed with them, so I've decided the baked cookies need to be dropped into/coated with melted chocolate. That ought to do it..... :LOL:

Nothing today, but tomorrow I'm baking eggnog cookies and some sugar cookies. Also, a loaf of bread, but I'm not sure what kind as of now.

Well, the loaves are out of the oven and it turns out that what I made were a couple bricks. I think it's because my starter needed to be refreshed. I recently converted my starter from 100% hydration to 67%, which I read tends to give your dough more strength in the gluten (verified) and also lasts longer between refreshes. Well, since it was supposed to last longer, I built it up a bit more. I last refreshed last weekend. The starter still looked and smelled fine, but I guess it just wasn't active enough anymore.

Now it's late at night and I don't have a loaf ready for the weekend. I guess I'll start something tonight to bake in the morning.

Well, the loaves are out of the oven and it turns out that what I made were a couple bricks. I think it's because my starter needed to be refreshed. I recently converted my starter from 100% hydration to 67%, which I read tends to give your dough more strength in the gluten (verified) and also lasts longer between refreshes. Well, since it was supposed to last longer, I built it up a bit more. I last refreshed last weekend. The starter still looked and smelled fine, but I guess it just wasn't active enough anymore.

Now it's late at night and I don't have a loaf ready for the weekend. I guess I'll start something tonight to bake in the morning.

Sorry to hear about your setback. I always try to give my starter at least two good feedings over a 24 hour period before using it. I want to see it bubbling when I dig it out of the jar. I had the same results (brick) when I tried to use it cold from the fridge when it had not been fed for a week. BTW, I have left my starter in the fridge for 3 weeks w/o feeding it, and brought it back to life in just one feeding. Mine is pretty durable, and I always feed at 100% hydration by weight.

Looking for something quick (artisnal)? I've made NYT with just 8 hours of proofing. Not bad in a pinch.

Sorry to hear about your setback. I always try to give my starter at least two good feedings over a 24 hour period before using it. I want to see it bubbling when I dig it out of the jar. I had the same results (brick) when I tried to use it cold from the fridge when it had not been fed for a week.

Thanks, Joe. It's really just that I'm testing the limits of my starter's new format. I generally approach bread with a fairly experimental attitude, so it's not a heartbreaker or anything. BTW, the taste of the loaves is pretty good. I'm going to try this one again soon with a lively starter.
BTW, I have left my starter in the fridge for 3 weeks w/o feeding it, and brought it back to life in just one feeding. Mine is pretty durable, and I always feed at 100% hydration by weight.

Yep, mine has been pretty hardy too. I went through a period when I got caught up in experimenting with commercial yeast and I neglected my starter for nearly a month. It came back fine with a couple feedings. I also keep some dried and frozen (per Eric of Breadtopia's directions) just in case anything should go wrong.

Looking for something quick (artisnal)? I've made NYT with just 8 hours of proofing. Not bad in a pinch.

I've already started a poolish as a base for whatever I end up making in the morning, if I end up having time to bake then. I don't mind rushing a No Knead sourdough as the sourdough gives it enough flavor, but I don't think I'd find a rushed standard NYT bread very interesting.

Refrigerated the sourdough sponge overnight to increase the acetic acid, which gives it more tang. I'll take it out about 10am, add the rest of the ingredients and start the raising process. So far it looks good. Since it seems much cooler and overcast today, the warm bread will be the perfect accessory tonight to a pot of long simmered beef vegatable soup tonight.

I have a whole list of stuff to make but it seems if I write it here first I don't get it done, so I will report back later!

I am baking today

Mix New York Times Bread ...will be fixing and baking today.

Biscotti. Received a new Fudge recipe....simple, delicious. Let me know
if anyone would like it posted. Aria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom