What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm staying off sugar for sometime, at least till we finish the batch of breakfast cookies. Maybe I'll bake bread..

Oh! we are having an amazing pizza tonight. My favorite whole wheat crust (neither thick nor thin) with leftovers on top... going to be caramelized onions, broccoli rabe, an egg/cream mixture and shredded swiss cheese. anybody want to come and join us, you're more than welcome. :D

Just finished a 3-day bread-baking marathon. Today's accomplishment was a nice big batch of English muffins. Now we're up to our all-American elbows with all kinds of bread, so I probably won't have to make more for a couple of weeks. Although, I'm seriously considering making some potato dinner rolls this weekend. I'll see.

I haven't made English Muffins in years. Homemade ones are SO good! I remember collecting tunafish cans to use for the molds. What do you use, Katie?

I haven't made English Muffins in years. Homemade ones are SO good! I remember collecting tunafish cans to use for the molds. What do you use, Katie?

I make English muffins about every 6 weeks. And, you're right, homemade ones are sooooo good.

I used to use tuna cans, June, but Buck gave me a set of English muffin rings for my birthday many years ago. I sent my tuna cans to my daughter so she could make English muffins.

It takes a while to accumulate enough tuna cans for a batch of muffins. It's getting even harder now that tuna cans don't open on both ends. I've discovered that 8-ounce pineapple or water chestnut cans can be substituted for tuna cans. At least those cans can have both lids removed.

Today I tried my T&T Challah recipe using Bob's Red Mill's White Whole Wheat flour. The bread doesn't come out "white" at all... and altho the raw flour looked white, I couldn't see any difference in the dough or finished bread from regular whole wheat bread.

Funny.... it looked like Challah, and it smelled like Challah (all eggy) but it doesn't taste like Challah. It's still a good bread, but I won't be doing that again when I want Challah!

I made a dessert yesterday for a BBQ I was going to ... and promptly left it behind!! So now I have a Turkish Delight Mouse tart for dessert. Tried to get my mum to come over to share but she doesn't want to, at least not before Easter and I don't think it will keep til then. Does mousse freeze??

Bilby I messed up a mousse once so I put in in my ice cream maker. It turned out to be a very good, extremely rich chocolate amaretto ice cream! Whats in your mousse?

Bilby I messed up a mousse once so I put in in my ice cream maker. It turned out to be a very good, extremely rich chocolate amaretto ice cream! Whats in your mousse?
:blush::blush:I'm embarassed to say it was just a packet chocolate mousse I found in the back of my pantry when I was cleaning out. I added some rose water essence to the mix (powder and milk) and put it in a shortcrust pastry case. I was going to top with shaved chocolate before serving. When I was getting sprayed with the mousse as I was whipping it (!!), it tasted okay, albeit a tad sweet for my taste.

I think it would freeze fine, just eat it frozen... like an ice cream cake.
Sounds good for your hot weather, it that still going on?

Thankfully no!! Next week it is meant to get back to the mid-30's Celsius but after being the Australian title holder of the capital city with the most days in a row over 30C to Adelaide (and boy are we cut up about that - NOT!!!!), a few days is absolutely nothing! Actually welcomed the duvet the other night!!! And to make things even better, we are in the last fortnight of DLS!!!!!

And thanks for the tip! It is going in the freezer tonight!!

I'm good at stuff not working!!
I made these last night, used green bagels from work. I was attempting St. Patty's day.
I think I ended up w/ Christmas wreaths!:angel:

Attachments

• IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 170
I made banana muffins yesterday. Cook's Illustrated says you can use any quick bread recipe to make muffins - just cut the baking time in about half. Good stuff :)

I also made a loaf of cinnamon-raisin bread in the bread machine, but it didn't rise :( I don't know what happened, but DH is eating it anyway :-p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom