What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weekly loaves of honey-wheat-buttermilk bread and a loaf of
Italian for dinner. maybe a pound cake for dessert - got some
fresh strawberries and melon the other day.

I'm baking two 9X13 pans of almond bars to take to the gallery for art walk this evening. Had to sort of make up my own recipe because I couldn't find anything that exactly matched my ingredients and I didn't want to go to the store...sure hope they turn out. I put alot of expensive ingredients in them, including 2 cups of butter. I'll post the recipe if they are any good.

I am baking a Jewish Apple Cake using Splenda. Last time I made one it did not rise as high and was a little dry. I asked for suggestions here and someone (and I thank you) told me to add something like applesauce which I did and the consistancy was much better. Now waiting to see how it turns out.

Bread - no recipe, but I found flour, cornmeal and ground flax seed in the freezer so that'll have to do.

I love my dough hook! (in an appropriate way of course) :chef:

Last edited:
I am baking a Jewish Apple Cake using Splenda. Last time I made one it did not rise as high and was a little dry. I asked for suggestions here and someone (and I thank you) told me to add something like applesauce which I did and the consistancy was much better. Now waiting to see how it turns out.

Hey that was me! I really hope it turns out well for you. Keep us posted. (And where was that recipe again? I can't find it.)

It might have been you Alix. It turned out good, but still not as good as when made with sugar. Taste wise it is the same, but just not as high and airy.
I posted the recipe not too long ago under cakes. I will see if I can find it.

Jewish Apple Cake
5 to 6 apples (granny smith) sliced thimble size.
Sprinkle with 2 tsp. Cinnamin, 5 tsp. sugar. Set aside.

3 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1 cup crisco oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt.

Grease tube pan, pour 3/4 of batter in, add apples, pour remaining batter over apples. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hour.

I just sliced some lemons paper thin and have them macerating in sugar. Tomorrow I'll make some pate brisee and turn the whole thing into a Shaker lemon pie.

I'm taking it Saturday to my brother's house for dinner. He's having ham, etc., so I think it'll be a great spring addition to the meal.

I thought I would just pop in from my busy schedule to let you know what I have been busy with! Wednesday I made 3 loaves of Dave the Baker's incredible butter pecan bread. But I think in tripling the recipe I left out a cup of flour and while they taste fine, aren't good enough for my catering event (a ladies' tea tomorrow). So, we have lots of it in our freezer for us and I made three more perfect loaves yesterday!

I make some oatmeal ginger muffins this morning, and will make more now, as well as 4 dozen cranberry orange muffins. All I have left is tomorrow I will whip the cream cheese with fresh strawberries and a little balsamic and dark brown sugar, and some some plain cream cheese as well as butter.

The house smells wonderful, but Dad, who is diabetic and DH who is on a basically gluten free diet haven't been too thrilled LOL!!!! I told them once it is over I promise to make something each of them can eat!

By the way Dave, the tea organizing committee chairperson loved the tasters of your loaf so much, that none of the others on the committee got any! Oh well, there is always tomorrow!

Last edited:
Making extra large chocolate chip cookies,once nice and cool will fill with chocolate chip ice cream wrap and freeze...The kids should love these, plus I'm getting things together to make a Pain De Mie with a recipe from Katie E. Can hardly wait to get started, I'm so looking forward to this bread.
kadesma

My youngest made chocolate chip cake yesterday night so thats changed my plan today. I was going to make a strawberry pie, but now I will just slice up a pile of strawberries, shake a little sugar over them and serve them in pretty dishes with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

I have to make more of the base for Alix's Granola as I ate most of it yesterday. All that is left is the dried fruits. :LOL: I have lots of lemons, so will try to find a recipe for Katie E's Shaker Lemon Pie.

I thought I would just pop in from my busy schedule to let you know what I have been busy with! Wednesday I made 3 loaves of Dave the Baker's incredible butter pecan bread. But I think in tripling the recipe I left out a cup of flour and while they taste fine, aren't good enough for my catering event (a ladies' tea tomorrow). So, we have lots of it in our freezer for us and I made three more perfect loaves yesterday!

I make some oatmeal ginger muffins this morning, and will make more now, as well as 4 dozen cranberry orange muffins. All I have left is tomorrow I will whip the cream cheese with fresh strawberries and a little balsamic and dark brown sugar, and some some plain cream cheese as well as butter.

The house smells wonderful, but Dad, who is diabetic and DH who is on a basically gluten free diet haven't been too thrilled LOL!!!! I told them once it is over I promise to make something each of them can eat!

By the way Dave, the tea organizing committee chairperson loved the tasters of your loaf so much, that none of the others on the committee got any! Oh well, there is always tomorrow!

the oatmeal ginger muffins sound wonderful. would love to have the recipe.
babe too:angel:

I have to make more of the base for Alix's Granola as I ate most of it yesterday. All that is left is the dried fruits. :LOL: I have lots of lemons, so will try to find a recipe for Katie E's Shaker Lemon Pie.

Loprraine, look in at my post #6 in this thread. That will direct you to the recipe for the pie. It was FANTASTIC. The pate brisee was awesome, too. This recipe is a definite keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom