"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #961
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Envious of all of you who can bake. Its MUCH too hot to consider turning on an oven and I'm not proficient enough with the BBQ to figure out how to bake in that thing. Oh well, when it gets cooler I'll kick it back into gear. Til then I'll just read this thread and dream and drool!
ummm, aren't you in Canada? I have been having an unusually cool August, even have a wool blanket on the bed, simply unheard of in these parts.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #962
Everymom

Yes I'm in Canada, and its darned toasty up here. Its been a really warm summer all things considered. We've had a nice spell of heat this week that is supposed to last a few more days at least. Its currently somewhere in the high 90's. I can't convert quickly enough at the moment...I think our predicted high today is supposed to be about 102F.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #963
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
high today is supposed to be about 102F.
102F?

We have been having lows in the low 50's and highs in the 70's. It really is like late fall here. I have not mentioned it here because I was afraid I would jinx this weather. I do not do well in our typical August weather so I am one happy camper

oh, I am baking a custard today..
Old 08-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #964
Everymom

Yep, we are having another hot spell. LOL, we had a crappy spring so this makes up for it I guess. Enjoy your custard. I'm sitting here thinking longingly of a lemon poppyseed cake and can't make one for a while!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #965
Senior Cook

I am baking an angel food cake. I have some blueberries and strawberries to serve with it.
By the way, what can I do with 12 egg yolks?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #966
Head Chef

Make creme brulee, ice cream, gelato, lemon curd, key lime pie, Boston cream pie, chocolate cream pie, natilla, ...
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #967
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
I am baking an angel food cake. I have some blueberries and strawberries to serve with it.
By the way, what can I do with 12 egg yolks?

GourmetSleuth - What to do with left over egg yolks

Left-over egg yolks can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days and used in pastries, sauces, mayonnaise, as a binding in meatloaves and patties, custards and so on.

They can be frozen for up to a month, but require the addition of 1/8 teaspoon salt for every 4 egg yolks (¼cup) or ½ teaspoon sugar depending on whether you want to use them for sweet or savoury purposes. Remember to label the container with the number of egg yolks and the date.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #968
Head Chef

I couldn't find my card reader to upload this from yesterday's baking for a funeral luncheon. After much looking in nooks and crannies, I did manage to find it in the last place I looked. Next weekend is the quarterly bake sale for the church. I better get to the store since I'm down to just 10# of flour in the cupboard.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #969
Head Chef

I found some new cooking vessels at a garage sale for NYT bread. The name "GLASBAKE" is on the bottom of each one and I was told they are from the 50's. Both are in excellent condition. I'll have to adjust the recipe slightly so I can make sure each vessel is optimized, but it should only be about 25-30%. Kind of cute, don't ya think? I baked these this morning with a round loaf as well (I always make at least 2 loaves, otherwise it's not optimizing the oven.)

I split the recipe 1/3 and 2/3 and ended up with a couple of nice laves of bread in the traditional loaf style. Nice for just me and DW. They'll fill out nice with a bit more dough in each one. I never stop looking at garage sale for baking goodies.

JoeV
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #970
Master Chef

wonderful , Joe. I must start going to yard sales and flea markets. Who knows what goodies are there ?

Tags
rye bread