What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a long rise, no knead method that usually results in a delightful loaf with an atisinal (spelling) crust. there are a number of variations. If you want the recipe, just say so and I'll type it out for you.

Cooking with your phone!

Or should I say iPhone. My grandmother let alone my mother could never have dreamt of the technology we are now experiencing in our kitchens. I recently gave into the pressure and got an iPhone. I was overwhelmed by all of the apps out there. Then I started to check out the cooking apps....some were ok others not so great. I came across one called 'iEats'...one that was written by a chef & easy to follow not to mention the pictures. The pictures alone where worth it. iEats Appetizers is the first in the series....can't wait to see what he does next!

Here 'tis:

From The New York Times: (with my notes added)

No-Knead Bread

3 C all purpose Flour (I alway use unbleached),
1/4 tsp instant yeast,
1 1/4 tsp Salt,
cornmeal or wheat bran as needed,

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups Water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl iwth plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferable about 18, at warm room temperature, around 70 degrees.
Dough is ready when the surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkkle it with a little more flout and double it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back whem poked with a finger. (BETTER WAY: line a basket or bowl the same size and shape as the baking vessel with parchment paper, place dough in and cover with plastic wrap and raise as above.)

At least half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6 - 8 uqart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, pyrex or ceramic) (I use a "Romertopf") in the oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot fron oven. Slide your hand under the toewl and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. (LIFT parchment paper holding dough and place in baking pot) Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 -30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. (LIFT loaf out of pot using parchment and place on oven rack to finish baking for the last 15 - 30 minutes)

Cool on rack.

The parchment and basket idea was developed by member JoeV and is a real trouble (read cotton towels) saver and makes everything work much more easily. One variation I employ is to substitute one cup of the regular flour with a cup of white whole wheat flour. Delish!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to help one another.

Dave

tomorrow i will be making cheese cake and my mom's Easter meat pie.

Getting things ready to bake some stuffed onions tomorrow and also the recipe for those yummy brownies that Katie E sent me...Cream puffs all done and in the freezer waiting to be filled

kadesma:LOL:

i made confetti cupcakes today, yes from a mix. i played with food coloring and frosting them in several pastel colors and a little confetti on top. my fingers at the moment are green. why can't someone make a food coloring in something other than those little tiny awkward bottles. i know one can get them from a supply house but they are very expensive. anyway they are spring colors and i like them.

i made confetti cupcakes today, yes from a mix. i played with food coloring and frosting them in several pastel colors and a little confetti on top. my fingers at the moment are green. why can't someone make a food coloring in something other than those little tiny awkward bottles. i know one can get them from a supply house but they are very expensive. anyway they are spring colors and i like them.
have you tried the gels in the squeeze tubes?

Do you have a recipe? That sounds yummy.
Alix, this is an about recipe that I learned to make from my M-I-L..
I use one box frozen chopped spinach
1-c-chopped parsley
1/2 of a large eggplant diced, par boil and squeeze out water
3=4 small zucchini-par boil and then squeeze out water
1/2 of a loaf of 2 day old french bread, tea and whiz in f/p
1/2-c. marjoram, this is your main flavor many times I use a whole bottle of dry when I make a large batch
3-4 cloves crushed garlic,
1-large onion, chopped
1/3 c.evoo
4-6 eggs
1/2-c. parmesan
All the veggies have to be par boiled or simmered til soft,then you squeeze out the water and chop,the spinach you need to squeeze as well no need to chop.Saute onions garlic, all the chopped and squeezed veggies in evoo,add the herbs as well. Remove from heat and let cool about 10-15 min, then add the bread,that you've grated fine, your eggs,and the cheese, salt and pepper to taste...I use a lot of the marjoram as we all love the taste..
let your filling rest and par boil a few small yellow onions that you've cut in half from top to bottom, when they separate, pour into a collander, then let cool,and choose the ones you want to fill, I only use bite sized ones the rest I chop fine and add to the filling...put evoo in the bottom of your cookie cheet and set the onions on it, fill with stuffing. don't over stuff now cook at 375 til the onion bottoms start to carmalize and the tops of the filling get golden...This recipe was hard to do and hard to explain..Mother in law would tell me a pinch or this a hand full of that, so I had her come here and I took her handful and pinches and put them into measuring cups..This is the best I can tell you as I make such a large batch that breaking it down is hard..I hope they turn out for you and you enjoy Noni's onions...If I was able to send you some and have them be safe I would.This is a recipe that really makes a mess as you use so many pots to boil the veggies, but when done it's worth it.
kades

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom