"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #981
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
You just gave me a great idea Kades. I can use our seasonal peaches and nectarines for a nice dessert.
You know I think that would be great..There are some beautiful plums on the market and I'm thinking of making something with them and peaches..I love fooling around with all these ripe fruit..even if ya good you still have a tasty treat..
kades

Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #982
Head Chef

Saturday is the church quarterly bake sale so I got a jump on my baking tonight. I made oatmeal-raisin cake cookies and a batch of Italian bread. DW reminded me that we have lots of seniors, so what about making smaller loaves of bread for them. Good idea (her ideas are ALL good ideas), so I divided the dough into 4 piece and baked them on the pizza stone. Each loaf is just 3/4 lb. instead of 1-1/2 lb.

Next time I'll just bake 2 small loaves at a time to get a better looking loaf. The oven spring was just amazing with this batch of dough. Of course, the kitchen is 82 F.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #983
Chef Extraordinaire

joe they are just beautiful. could i do them without a stone? if so what could i use?

babe
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #984
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
joe they are just beautiful. could i do them without a stone? if so what could i use?

babe
babe,

Yes you can. Just flip a baking (cookie) sheet upside down and bake it on that to maintain the free-form loaf.

Joe
Old 08-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #985
Head Chef

The church bake sale contribution is done (thank goodness). After separating the 4 loaves shown above, they didn't look so bad, so I made another batch the same way and took my Basic White Bread recipe and divided the dough into thirds for three loaves of white bread at 1 lb. each. Along with the oatmeal-raisin cake cookies, I've had enough baking for a little while.

JoeV
Old 08-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #986
Master Chef

Joe, where did you buy the bags for the bread ?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #987
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Joe, where did you buy the bags for the bread ?
Got them at my local restaurant supply. I had to buy 1,000 bags, but can't remember the price. I think it was around $26. Check your local suppliers and see if they would sell you a smaller quantity. These are 5x4x15" 1# bread bag 1.5 mil thick. There are NOT twist ties with the bags. You have to find them elsewhere. A friend gave me a couple hundred she had, but they go quickly.

Here's an online source for about the same price. If you can get a couple people to go in on them, you can split the cost. I did that with a couple of local bakers, and got rid of half the case.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...Bread_Bags.htm

Joe
Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #988
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
babe,

Yes you can. Just flip a baking (cookie) sheet upside down and bake it on that to maintain the free-form loaf.

Joe

cool joe, am going to order a stone from target i think but in mean time can use cookie sheet.

babe
Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #989
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Got them at my local restaurant supply. I had to buy 1,000 bags, but can't remember the price. I think it was around $26. Check your local suppliers and see if they would sell you a smaller quantity. These are 5x4x15" 1# bread bag 1.5 mil thick. There are NOT twist ties with the bags. You have to find them elsewhere. A friend gave me a couple hundred she had, but they go quickly.

Here's an online source for about the same price. If you can get a couple people to go in on them, you can split the cost. I did that with a couple of local bakers, and got rid of half the case.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...Bread_Bags.htm

Joe

thanks , Joe.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #990
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
thanks , Joe.
BTW, I looked on the same site and they have the twist ties.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...Twist_Ties.htm

Tags
rye bread