What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I made sour cream blueberry mini muffins for DH. He is somehow under the impression that blueberry muffins are better for his diabetes than cake. He just doesn't get the nutrition thing. Well at least the blueberries are good for him and I subbed splenda for some of the sugar. He'll never know.

Addie said:
My favorite guests dessert is the following;
A slice of pound cake (can be store bought)
Some pureed strawberry syrup ( made from pureed frozen strawberries in the blender)
A scoop of ice cream (strawberry or vanilla works just fine)
Whipped cream
Chocolate syrup
Repeat process. If you used strawberry ice cream for the first layer, use vanilla for this layer. Topped off with berry syrup, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup and sprinkles. This can be made with any in season berry.

Make the slice of pound cake thin. And the scoops of ice cream on the small side. This is a fillinig dessert. :chef:

OMG! You're making me hungry! Another great idea for berries. Last year I went Berry crazy. I'm going to have to start up another thread...(about berries)

OMG! You're making me hungry! Another great idea for berries. Last year I went Berry crazy. I'm going to have to start up another thread...(about berries)

This dessert can also be made using just frozen berries. One year my neice brought me a large pail of wild blueberries. I laid them out on a cookie sheet, froze them, them placed them in a ziplock bag. I was so happy. :pig: me!!

I just pulled a loaf of bread out of the oven.

I used the Bimini bread recipe from a link in a recent thread. I do not know anything about Bimini bread but this loaf reminds me of a country Canadian, Scottish or Mennonite loaf. I am anxious to taste it tonight and also toast some tomorrow for breakfast.

Me, too. I'm making Dill Rye. :chef:

That is the best !

I buy mine from a small bakery near my home. They make loaves that are about three feet long and then you negotiate with the bakery clerk on how large a chunk you want and how you would like it sliced. :pig:

I cannot make it to my satisfaction at home. I can't get that shiny leathery crust and the moist dense crumb. Any secrets that you can share?

I cannot make it to my satisfaction at home. I can't get that shiny leathery crust and the moist dense crumb. Any secrets that you can share?
This one wasn't one of my prettier rye loaves, but the flavor and texture is good. I've actually been working to lighten mine up a little, as it used to come out too heavy and dense for our tastes. You can play with the ratio of white to rye flour to change the texture. I like to use about 3-to-2 white to rye. For a denser crumb you could up the amount of rye.

As far as getting a shiny crust, an egg wash brushed on for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time will take care of that.

img_1123588_0_b97afa15a3a77c78edb04b123d9a9c2c.jpg

This one wasn't one of my prettier rye loaves, but the flavor and texture is good. I've actually been working to lighten mine up a little, as it used to come out too heavy and dense for our tastes. You can play with the ratio of white to rye flour to change the texture. I like to use about 3-to-2 white to rye. For a denser crumb you could up the amount of rye.

As far as getting a shiny crust, an egg wash brushed on for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time will take care of that.

Nice loaf of bread.

Thanks for the tips!

One last question, where do you buy your rye flour. I always wonder if the specialty flours in the grocery store have a fast enough turnover to keep them fresh.

what are you baking today

I made sugar cookies like my Bubby (Grandma) used to make.....very plain and very yummy.....make them in the shape of a knot and sugar the tops.

One last question, where do you buy your rye flour. I always wonder if the specialty flours in the grocery store have a fast enough turnover to keep them fresh.
I shop at a co-op that carries specialty flour in 22 oz. bags. I don't know how fresh it is, but by buying in small sizes, at least it's not going bad in my pantry. And for something like rye, which I don't make very often, I can also buy flour by the cup in the store's bulk grocery aisle.

Nice loaf of bread.

Thanks for the tips!

They do in the store I shop. I often see the space where the specialty flours are usually, empty. Then when I go back it is filled. Someone is baking a lot of bread :ohmy:

Just took 2 chocolate pound cake out of the oven. First time making it. House smells wonderful. I can't wait to cut one.

Today was loaf day: 4 potato loaves, and started 2 batches of the New York Times No Knead bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom