What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Swiss roulade went so quick I had to replace it with baklava

image-4281210745.jpg

Best baklava is pistachio....

Siegal said:
My Swiss roulade went so quick I had to replace it with baklava

Best baklava is pistachio....

Oh man! Now I'm hungry for baklava! I've never made it. Is it hard to make?

chopper said:
Oh man! Now I'm hungry for baklava! I've never made it. Is it hard to make?

It's actually super easy and only 5 ingredients (filo, sugar, butter, lemon, pistachio) I don't like the ones with 3 types of nuts and spices. I just make plain pistachio ones and they are much better then the ones with walnuts and spices as pistachios are superior and don't need spices to help it. The recipe I use is Syrian from aromas of Aleppo. Let me know if you want it

Siegal said:
It's actually super easy and only 5 ingredients (filo, sugar, butter, lemon, pistachio) I don't like the ones with 3 types of nuts and spices. I just make plain pistachio ones and they are much better then the ones with walnuts and spices as pistachios are superior and don't need spices to help it. The recipe I use is Syrian from aromas of Aleppo. Let me know if you want it

No honey? I thought the Greek recipe used honey, Syrian might be different. Please post your recipe, Siegal!

Last edited:
I love baklava, I love both pistachio and walnut, but I walnut is my favorite, I love walnuts.

We have a Lebanese deli nearby where they make it, some of the best I've ever had.

No honey? I thought the Greek recipe used honey, Syrian might be different. Please post your recipe, Siegal!

There are a lot of different versions as you travel around that area of the world. Spices vary or are omitted, nuts may vary and the sweetener can vary.

Our version uses simple syrup with lemon in place of the honey, walnuts in place of the pistachios with the addition of cinnamon and a touch of clove.

Siegal said:

I would love to have the recipe. Thank you. I would really like to try to make it.

Me too. I'll have to get SO to make another batch. I have no patience for handling the delicate sheets of filo and brushing each layer with butter. However, I am responsible for making the simple syrup and cutting the uncooked paklava (the Armenian version of the word) in the proper pattern. Everyone knows those are the most important parts of the recipe. :innocent:

Andy M. said:
Me too. I'll have to get SO to make another batch. I have no patience for handling the delicate sheets of filo and brushing each layer with butter. However, I am responsible for making the simple syrup and cutting the uncooked paklava (the Armenian version of the word) in the proper pattern. Everyone knows those are the most important parts of the recipe. :innocent:

Yeah, right. Now just gimme the dang baklava....

:ROFLMAO:

I am now baking the sweet shortcrust pastry I have just made, it is in the oven :)

I am making little custard tarts and lemon curd tarts...now I just need to make the filling :chef:

Will take a photo when they are all done :)

Kylie1969 said:
I am now baking the sweet shortcrust pastry I have just made, it is in the oven :)

I am making little custard tarts and lemon curd tarts...now I just need to make the filling :chef:

Will take a photo when they are all done :)

My fav lemon curd. Need pic to eat vicariously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom