What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not today, but last Thursday, my class and I made baking powder biscuits and white gravy for the office staff at school. As it was, a few people were absent and we ended up with a lot of biscuits left over. Far be it from me to waste biscuits so on Friday we made peach bread pudding with tangy peach caramel sauce. The staff dubbed it "Bread pudding to die for." Even the ones who didn't want biscuits and gravy came in to get some of this, so I wasn't the only one who thought it came out pretty tasty. I'll try to post a recipe in the right thread.

Last edited:
Testing a recipe for pumpkin cream pie. The idea popped in my head, and when I went hunting for recipes, I found a bunch of recipes that called for instant pudding mix, but since that's not my style, I thought that I would make one from scratch. We'll know tomorrow how good it is. The pastry cream sure did taste good warm, I bet once the spices do their thing it'll be even better.

3 cakes one for my dialysis pals and 2 for the nurses. that's how I spent tuesday while DH was at work. 2 were chocolate with mayo and chocolate chips, one was white with coconutWas this morning fun:yum:
kades

Last edited by a moderator:
simonbaker said:
Sorry but they all sold today. I have to tell myself I am allergic to them not to eat them. Today dh made a banana cream & a coconut cream pie.:yum:

I bet I am too late for these pies, but they sound fantastic. :)

Sorry but they all sold today. I have to tell myself I am allergic to them not to eat them. Today dh made a banana cream & a coconut cream pie.:yum:

simonbaker,

I really like to make banana cream pie but, when I make it the banana slices turn black and watery if the pie is not served quickly. Do you have any secrets you could share that might help with this.

The only solution I have seen came from a diner in our area that makes a plain cream pie and tops each slice with half a banana at the time the customer orders. It works but, it seems like cheating to me. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks,
B

simonbaker,

I really like to make banana cream pie but, when I make it the banana slices turn black and watery if the pie is not served quickly. Do you have any secrets you could share that might help with this.

The only solution I have seen came from a diner in our area that makes a plain cream pie and tops each slice with half a banana at the time the customer orders. It works but, it seems like cheating to me. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Thanks,

Have you tried using lemon on the banana slices to keep them from turning black? I don't put any banana slices on the top. I line the bottom with slices, some cream, more slices and then top with more cream. I also line the sides with banana slices. They turn black due to be exposed to the air. If I must have a topping for the pie, I will make a meringue with Just Whites. :angel:

Have you tried using lemon on the banana slices to keep them from turning black? I don't put any banana slices on the top. I line the bottom with slices, some cream, more slices and then top with more cream. I also line the sides with banana slices. They turn black due to be exposed to the air. If I must have a topping for the pie, I will make a meringue with Just Whites. :angel:

That is pretty much what I do.

Maybe the only solution is to eat more and faster! :pig::ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This afternoon I will bake a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. Then for dinner I'll make a pan of chicken enchiladas. Saturday I will bake some bread and make some pork stew with apples, onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms. I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom