What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there. It's been a busy morning in the kitchen and here's the outcome:

img_604694_0_4b5e57fc57a04f28a3280328b9fe8495.jpg

I'm fighting the urge to cut into the Italian Braid and try it out. It's loaded with herbs and seasonings, and topped with Asiago cheese. Only one more thing to come out of the oven, and that's the three mini loaves of banana bread. DW pointed out that she had been saving the bananas so I could make it for a friend of ours. Easy enough as long as the oven's hot and the baker is still fresh. :LOL:

Time to relax before DD brings the lasagna.

yesterday, made banana muffins, and started ny bread.

today finished up ny bread and made peanut butter choco (milk) chips. is there anything better that still warm cookies?

babe:chef::chef:

Im making homemade hamburger buns.
I let my bread machine doing to mixing and then finish in my oven.
This weekend I am making sourdough bread.

No baking for a few days... I was the coordinator for a bake sale at work that ed the local Project Hospitality in NYC (an organization that aids the homeless and the elderly and poor). DH and I baked for it. We made 17 items in 3 days (ginger cookies, brownies without nuts, brownies with nuts, sugar free chocolate chip cookies with nuts, chocolate chip cookies without nuts, sugar cookies, rice krispie treats, chocolate cake, cardamom cookies, 7 layer magic bars, raspberry coconut bars, strawberry oat bars, almond lace cookies, sugar free lemon bars, vanilla cookies, carrot cake, banana pudding) for the sale with our little oven that tries real hard but has something against us (oven dial said 300, thermometer said 381...oven dial said 350, thermometer went to HI after 450). After that, I had to bake a cake for a friend's church's mother's day celebration. We need a break for a few days. Next week is a cake for a birthday. Business is picking up....:sleep:

Wow, meshoo, you really do deserve a break! I hope the bake sale was a success. A young friend of ours is going to NYC tomorrow for two years to cook for an organization which is renovated an old hospital into a shelter for street kids. It is nice to know there are so many organizations trying to make a difference in a city that so needs it (not that all citys don't).

Wow, meshoo, you really do deserve a break! I hope the bake sale was a success. A young friend of ours is going to NYC tomorrow for two years to cook for an organization which is renovated an old hospital into a shelter for street kids. It is nice to know there are so many organizations trying to make a difference in a city that so needs it (not that all citys don't).

We raised $700 in 2 days. We had hoped to open it up to all employees in the building, but we were only allowed to sell to the employees. Considering we have about 400 in the office, I was hoping to do better, but we didn't have that many bakers and the committee decided the prices without me and they went lower than we could have gone. In the end, we sold for a total of 10 hours between the 2 days and everything sold.

Baking Day

Not today, Friday was my baking day.
I started off with Cinnamon Rolls. While they were rising I started my Bran Muffuns.
Today this batch was with Pineappla, Crasiens and nuts. (I usually use Bananas, nuts, raisins and applesauce)

When the muffine were ready for the oven, the Cinnamon Roll dough was ready to make up.
By the time the muffins were baked the Cinnamon Rolls were ready for the oven.

Note: I have tried and tried again and never learned. After todays exercise I will NEVER try to bake two pans of muffins on one rack at the same time. Anyone have a method for this that works?

While the Cinnamon Rolls were baking I got my Rice Pudding ready. I double a recipe from BH&G that don't require the water bath for baking.

Busy AM in the kitchen!!

Charlie

Not today, Friday was my baking day.
I started off with Cinnamon Rolls. While they were rising I started my Bran Muffuns.
Today this batch was with Pineappla, Crasiens and nuts. (I usually use Bananas, nuts, raisins and applesauce)

When the muffine were ready for the oven, the Cinnamon Roll dough was ready to make up.
By the time the muffins were baked the Cinnamon Rolls were ready for the oven.

Note: I have tried and tried again and never learned. After todays exercise I will NEVER try to bake two pans of muffins on one rack at the same time. Anyone have a method for this that works?

While the Cinnamon Rolls were baking I got my Rice Pudding ready. I double a recipe from BH&G that don't require the water bath for baking.

Busy AM in the kitchen!!

Charlie

wow guess u have been busy.

babe:ROFLMAO:

I played with the N.Y. Times bread recipe. Added a whole head of roasted garlic and a boatload of chopped fresh rosemary. The bread is about ready to come out of the oven and the aroma is absolutely killer.

Also have two loaves of plain white loaf bread finishing a second rise. They'll go in the oven in about 5 minutes.

:) Made a 16 inch 3 " high contour pan of chocolate cake will freeze and tomorrow or the next day I will make a 12", 8" and 4" of the same. I'm making a baby shower cake for a fairly large party. I know tiered cakes are for weddings but I like to make them for other occasions. It will be covered with a pale yellow fondant I will then cut out dots from cake and replace with periwinkle and white dots to match invitations. The mother of the daughter wants baby bottles on the cake I haven't decided yet whether to go with decorated sugar cookies or fondant for the bottles. The baby bottles will be a bit of a challenge they are going to need to be at least 2 1/2 to 3 " tall. Any ideas anyone can throw my way would be appreciated. The shower is on the 24th this month.

:) The baby bottles will be a bit of a challenge they are going to need to be at least 2 1/2 to 3 " tall. Any ideas anyone can throw my way would be appreciated. The shower is on the 24th this month.

JP, I made a cake awhile back for a 60th birthday party. The guy loved woodworking and his daughters wanted the cake to depict that. I needed to put tools on it and I sure wasn't hand forming saws, hammers, etc. out of fondant or gumpaste. Instead, I went to my local cake supply store and found chocolate moulds for what I needed them. I made the tools out of white melting chocolate and the tool box out of red (from the same store). I was able to paint the tools with food colorings (dilute with a drop of vodka and it drys faster and smoother than water).

I am sure you can find baby bottle moulds in the size you need and maybe other ones you like as well.

Here is the cake so you can see the effect. The rustic look of it was intentional as is most of his work.

Attachments

• BillTheBuilder2.jpg
    BillTheBuilder2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 184
JP, I made a cake awhile back for a 60th birthday party. The guy loved woodworking and his daughters wanted the cake to depict that. I needed to put tools on it and I sure wasn't hand forming saws, hammers, etc. out of fondant or gumpaste. Instead, I went to my local cake supply store and found chocolate moulds for what I needed them. I made the tools out of white melting chocolate and the tool box out of red (from the same store). I was able to paint the tools with food colorings (dilute with a drop of vodka and it drys faster and smoother than water).

I am sure you can find baby bottle moulds in the size you need and maybe other ones you like as well.

Here is the cake so you can see the effect. The rustic look of it was intentional as is most of his work.

:)I have some candy molds but they are either about 1/2 inch and then I have one about 6" double sided which I will use for the top of cake'. By the way that cake you made is a great looking cake. I have the 3" cookie cutter in a baby bottle shape I know you can roll and cut fondant out and paint them but don't exactly know how food color will work I will experiment with your vodka method I will be attaching bigger bottles to the sides of cake.

I find that gel, paste or powder colours work well with the vodka and on fondant. Don't try the normal liquid colours you get at the grocery store.

Today I'm baking some pineapple coconut bread I sampled at 'Ohana at Walt Disney World a few years. I recently found the recipe on allearsnet.com and wanted to recreate the experience I had with it when I had it back in 2003. Right now the dough is rising and the coconut/pineapple filling is macerating in the fridge :) Should be great for breakfast....maybe with a little cream cheese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom