What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
baked a bazillion bagels and gonna do it again tomorrow.....

does it count if i only do it because i get paid to???

Oops! Was so busy yesterday I forgot to check in. I made a 3# batch of hamburger and hot dog buns and two loaves of NYT bread, one with flax seeds and one plain. Anymore I just make two NYT's at a time because they are so simple to do. The flax seeded loaf makes delicious toast with a nice flavor. I added 1/4 cup of flax seeds. Here's what it looks like before & after baking:

img_617589_0_c9685fec90c201f4dad7570ee6dd418b.jpg

img_617589_1_47b16461513dc6a9c7e71f4190bc8385.jpg

Add more or less as you prefer, but this looks and taste about right. FYI NEWBIES: Add additional ingredients to your dry mix, not after the 12 hour rise. At that point it's too late and "almost" impossible to work with.

Could've baked just a few more min, other than that, great!
suziquzie,

First, congrats on your first NYT. Now you're playing with the big kids!:LOL: Second, whenever I try a different style of bread for the first time, I use my digital thermometer to verify that the bread has reached at least 200 F. before taking it out of the oven. This also validates the time/temp stated in the new recipe, which I then update (if necessary) on my recipe sheet for future reference. After that I know I can just follow the recipe without over or under baking. Do you have a digital thermometer? If not, you may consider getting one. I use mine all the time for all kinds of cooking.

Joe

Last edited:
Okay, I am really becoming a true DC'er!! Today I made my first NYT bread, and while I know a couple of things I didn't to quite right, it truly has potential and I know I will be trying it more often. Joe, I am a firm believer in the benefits of flax and will be trying your flaxseed version soon.

Secondly, I sent DH to the store to pick up some on-sale cake mixes to try out the cake mix cookies. I hope to experiment over the next couple of days and will report back the results! (just please don't tell my customers I am doing ANYTHING with cake mixes!).

I have two loaves of NYT in the oven; one plain and one with a medley of Italian seasonings, dried chives, dried chopped onions, dried chopped garlic and a bit of cayenne red pepper. OMG, does it ever smell great in my kitchen this morning.:LOL:

Joe

I have two loaves of NYT in the oven; one plain and one with a medley of Italian seasonings, dried chives, dried chopped onions, dried chopped garlic and a bit of cayenne red pepper. OMG, does it ever smell great in my kitchen this morning.:LOL:

Joe

Joe, what do you bake your bread in? I think that was part of my problem yesterday.

I have a giant bunch of chives that want to be cut, I think I will roast some garlic and try garlic / chive NYT bread.
Laurie I used my crock pot insert.....

Suzi, I used a corning french white casserole, but I think it was to wide and long. My bread was spread out too much and therefore got a really tough crust and was flatter than I would have liked. But it tasted great!!! Garlic and chives sound great.

I have two loaves of NYT in the oven; one plain and one with a medley of Italian seasonings, dried chives, dried chopped onions, dried chopped garlic and a bit of cayenne red pepper. OMG, does it ever smell great in my kitchen this morning.:LOL:Joe
Joe, I have a question for you. Do you add more yeast to yours and more salt? I do, to me, with the extremely small amount of both in the recipe, it's not enough and I'm not Italian so I like my bread to have flavor, not like in Tuscany where you swear that they forgot the salt:ohmy:. I will try the flax seed and also the Italian version. Sound so good and have two containers of flax seeds so may as well use them up......................so I can buy more:LOL:

Joe, what do you bake your bread in? I think that was part of my problem yesterday.

I use a 3 qt enameled dutch oven and a 5 qt Corell baking dish with lid:

img_618903_0_a8f6a22bb90a82de062b1f28578fe425.jpg

The Corell makes the loaf come out square-ish, but that's OK with me. Here's today's end product where you can see the difference:

img_618903_1_459b359dc7e8f904d4292a69b4473749.jpg

I just ordered the La Cloche oblong baker from Breadtopia.com, and will be heading to World Market shortly to find a suitable basket to proof the bread in. I'll use parchment paper for a liner so I can drop the whole thing right into the cooker when it's ready.

Regarding the salt & yeast, I just use the 1-1/2t salt and 1/4t yeast for my recipes. Just because I'm adding flavorings and endhancements doesn't seem to require deviating from the recipe. As a matter of fact, I had my bread in the oven after a 9 hour rest on the countertop overnight. It had more than doubled in size so I figured it was ready. It appears to have come out OK, and I got the usual oven spring as well.

Joe

^^^ gad, that ^^^ looks disgusting. I'd say thanks for posting but it'd be a fib:LOL:

Forgot to post what I'm doing today for tomorrows dessert.
Chocolate chip muffin bread pudding with hot caramel sauce over the top of it.

It's chocolate chip muffins from the freezer that I saved when they didn't get nearly enough eaten up for dinner one night, so I zippered them up. They'll get broken up, then doused in custard of cream and eggs, cinnamon and sugar and a bit of salt, then baked. The sauce is white sugar, water, brown sugar, butter, salt and cream, slowly sauce-pan'd

Oh, Saphellae, that's just so perfectly gross. EXACTLY what a room full of 11-year-olds would love, especially the boys.

I just took a loaf of N.Y. Times bread out of the oven. I added a whole head of roasted garlic and several tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary to the water before I mixed the dough.

I've added all sorts of things to my N.Y. Times dough and have never had to adjust the yeast.

Regarding the salt & yeast, I just use the 1-1/2t salt and 1/4t yeast for my recipes. Just because I'm adding flavorings and endhancements doesn't seem to require deviating from the recipe. As a matter of fact, I had my bread in the oven after a 9 hour rest on the countertop overnight. It had more than doubled in size so I figured it was ready. It appears to have come out OK, and I got the usual oven spring as well.

Joe

Actually, Lefse, he did answer you, it was just a the bottom of a big answer to my question with pictures. I have cut his reply to you out above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom