What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spray the parchment paper with some cooking spray, then put the "folded, not kneaded" dough/glop right on the paper to rise. Just leave the paper long enough to lay on top of the dough and put a towel over it to keep it warm and cozy. When the vessels are hot and the dough has doubled in size, just lift the whole thing by the paper edges and place it gently in the vessel and put the cover on. the paper may get a little brown, but you don't have to worry about it burning (if that concerns you).

Found a couple of proofing baskets today (wicker) at the Goodwill store for $.80 and $1.90 each to use with my La Cloche Oblong Baker when it arrives. I'll post pics of the whole sequence when it gets here so you can see how the parchment paper works.

Joe
I don't use parchment, I use my pizza peel and just dump the dough in the DO. :LOL:

Okay, I am really becoming a true DC'er!! Today I made my first NYT bread...Secondly, I sent DH to the store to pick up some on-sale cake mixes to try out the cake mix cookies.

Karen, and others, I apologize for this statement. I wasn't trying to imply that doing certain things makes you a better community member. I was only making a comment about myself.

I have been cooking for years and am professionally trained; however, I am learning more wonderful things from the people here than I have through my own experience. I admire you all and have a lot more to learn here.

I have been cooking for years and am professionally trained; however, I am learning more wonderful things from the people here than I have through my own experience. I admire you all and have a lot more to learn here.

I'm with you on that!

I've been lurking here a lot longer than I've been posting, and I have to say, this is a great community with excellent people. I've learned a ton reading posts here, and I don't think it can be said enough that I really appreciate all the people who make this such a great site!

Right now I have a NYT bread rising. It's special touches today include dried garlic flakes/dehydrated minced onions/thyme/thai purple basil/oregano from my yard. Can't wait for it to smell up the house when it's baking tonight for our dinner. Loaf from yesterday is gone. The flax/sesame/poppy seeds did wonders for it and husband loved the texture of the crunch they added.

I'll be doing the dreamsicle cake too for hubby but don't have any DH Orange Supreme and it's not on sale, $3.79 a box is a little too much and the hubster isn't worth it, so I'll make it but will use lemon with the extra orange extract and all other orange stuff to make it seem orange and hopefully, he'll not notice. I bought 3 new boxes of different color food coloring so I have 12 new colors, maybe one of them will be orange, yes, I know it is, there's a black one in there too.

What's anyone else baking?

Oh Laurie, I never intended to imply that what you said was unkind! You, of all people! Please don't feel bad. Sometimes we forget that when we communicate by written word, we leave out about 2/3rds of our communication skills. It is ALL in fun. Period.

Unlike you, I have never been a professional, but I think I am an above-average cook, mainly because I have such a passion for it. But like you, I learn something from the generous people on this board everyday. And I feel like I have a set of wonderful new friends, like you. Thanks.

Thanks, Karen, I feel the same about you, and everyone here. What I like about this place is training doesn't matter - we are all on equal ground and can learn from each other.

So, the cinnamon rolls turned out good, but the pictures didn't. I had planned to post a couple pics, but I don't seem to take good shots using the flash.

Russell....
are you way too into looks????
:)
I'm sure they look just great!! How can a cinnmon roll take a bad pic?!?!??
Wish I was a cinnamon roll.....

So, the cinnamon rolls turned out good, but the pictures didn't. I had planned to post a couple pics, but I don't seem to take good shots using the flash.

Russ,

I've had that same problem with shooting pictures of food in my kitchen. I force the flash to OFF, then just take the picture with the available light. If your camera is able, just slightly depress the button until a green frame shows up in the view box (it goes from red to green). This tells you the camera is in focus on what your are shooting. THEN depress the button the rest of the way and you should get a picture of your cinnamon rolls that look like this (no flash):

img_619896_0_fa6ca9afee7be35b74473c8bc03be3e7.jpg

Hope this helps. Also, if you are in close on the object, switch over to the MACRO mode (should look like a little flower on the selector wheel) and try the shot that way.

Joe

I think you nailed it, Suzi, I guess I am a bit vain about things I cook. This is a little odd, since I don't really think of myself as a master of presentation, and plating for me actually just means putting things on the plate most of the time.

Thanks for the tips, Joe. I decided to try again, brought the remains of the rolls out into the sun to photograph.

After looking at them on the computer, I realized that some of the pics I took last night aren't so bad, so here's one of those too.

Attachments

• IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 175
:) Anybody make a grilled cheese or panini with the NYT bread yet? Very, very good.:)

I made a Panini for the first time on Tuesday evening using the NYT bread with the Italian seasonings tossed in... to die for! I brushed Italian salad dressing on the inside surfaces of the bread, built the sammich with Genoa salami, Bavarian ham and fresh shredded mozzarella cheese, then brushed EVOO on the outside surfaces. About 10 minutes in the George Foreman grill and I was in fat city...literally!:LOL::LOL:

great idea!!!!!
I saw a Monte CHristo sandwich I want to try.....
I better start some bread!

I'm going to bake some cookies today. Haven't decided what kind yet though. I am also going to make some orange muffins as my oranges look a bit pathetic at the moment. I have a huge pot of soup on so there may even be a loaf of french bread to go with it done for supper tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom