What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a mighty handsome loaf of bread. How did the crumb turn out? Crust? How about the flavor? I've never baked with graham flour.
Thanks, Daisy, thanks Joe!

Here's a crumb shot. Overall it is a good bread, crumb is firm but not overly dense, crust has a nice flavor but it isn't crisp or crunchy.

To be honest, I'm still not sure just how graham flour differs from regular whole wheat tastewise. I think as WW flours go this one is just fine, but I prefer the flour I mill at home. I actually bought this graham flour out of curiosity after someone raved about another brand of graham flour (Hodgson Mills) on another board. I guess I'll still have to try that one out sometime. I'll finish this bag, but I don't think I'll end up buying it again.

Attachments

• IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 148
Probably won't bake it today, because I like to let my dough develop some, but I'll be putting bread to rise first thing when I get home this evening. Probably my basic whole wheat, as I don't have any rolled oats in the house right now. :chef:

I'm THINKING about making calzones but it won't happen today...never made them before but have been wanting to experiment with them. I need to come up with some freezable sandwiches for dh's lunchbox and thought they might work

Thanks, Daisy, thanks Joe!

Here's a crumb shot. Overall it is a good bread, crumb is firm but not overly dense, crust has a nice flavor but it isn't crisp or crunchy.

To be honest, I'm still not sure just how graham flour differs from regular whole wheat tastewise. I think as WW flours go this one is just fine, but I prefer the flour I mill at home. I actually bought this graham flour out of curiosity after someone raved about another brand of graham flour (Hodgson Mills) on another board. I guess I'll still have to try that one out sometime. I'll finish this bag, but I don't think I'll end up buying it again.

Wow, Russ, that crumb is outstanding for a sandwich loaf, and teh height is amazing. My local store has Graham Flour, so I just might give it a try. Mind sharing the recipe?

JoeV

I went to Orowheat today and bought this [brand of graham flour (Hodgson Mills) and also bought their rye flour. I can't wait to do both of them.

I'm making for dessert an apple and orange pie. I have the gala's and the supremes of scrumptous oranges from Fillmore, they're lovely and you know how people compare apples to oranges, well tonight, they'll be married.

Attachments

• Washington DC 2008.jpg
    Washington DC 2008.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for your kind words about my bread, Lefselover.

I went to Orowheat today and bought this [brand of graham flour (Hodgson Mills) and also bought their rye flour. I can't wait to do both of them.

If you're interested, here's a link to the recipe that got me interested in Hodgson Mills' graham flour. To be honest, I didn't follow it with the graham flour I have, as the person who posted the recipe insisted that that particular flour is essential to getting the proper results.

Good luck with your pie - sounds like a great combination. I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Wow, Russ, that crumb is outstanding for a sandwich loaf, and teh height is amazing. My local store has Graham Flour, so I just might give it a try. Mind sharing the recipe?

JoeV

Thanks, Joe.

I don't mind sharing, but I winged it and don't have it in the computer anywhere. I don't have time right now, as I am off to work in just a moment, but I will type in and post it either when I get home or tomorrow, depending on my energy level after work.

Thanks for your kind words about my bread, Lefselover. If you're interested, here's a link to the recipe that got me interested in Hodgson Mills' graham flour. To be honest, I didn't follow it with the graham flour I have, as the person who posted the recipe insisted that that particular flour is essential to getting the proper results. Good luck with your pie - sounds like a great combination. I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.
Hey Russell, that's a great web site, I book marked it for looking more closely into later. Appreciate it.
Now for the pie results.
I am not sure what I did different for the crust, but no bragging just a reality I think, it's maybe the best most flakey ever for me anyway. I don't have grammies hands or touch, never have. This crust...may be perfect, wondering if due to the rain today > that got it so tender? I mean even rolling it out, I could feel it wasn't my obvious typical dough. I also used a cube of almost frozen unsalted butter. Anyway, the supremes and the galas are a perfect marriage, husband not being as avid a pie lover as I am, said, "OML, that is incredible." Pretty good results indeed...................
One of these days I'm gonna have to write down a recipe as I go along. Hard to share otherwise..............

Joe:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm such a non-user at the PC I couldn't even respond to your PM. Lynn and I will try your way and hopefully it will give some positive results.

Thanks,

Dave

Nothing today because I'm up to my all-American ears in cake mix cookies I baked on Monday. Made them to share with my colleagues working the election with me on Tuesday. As it turned out, there was enough food there to sink the Queen Mary and the cookies were hardly touched.

I need to bake bread but it's too late start today and I'm going to be out most of tomorrow, so looks like Sunday will be bread-baking day.

The NYT sourdough is out of the oven, and I'm not particularly pleased. It's not at all like the regular NYT from the other day. It's compact and seems doughy. Too hot to slice yet, but I'm not expecting great things. Oh, well. It was an experiment, and not all experiments are successful. I'll try again sometime soon. Next I'll bake something I know comes out well.

Today I made a pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling - first time for me and it came out very well indeed. Not perfect, but very well. Question - now what - other than eat it? :) Does it need to stay in the fridge? Seriously now, I don't know and an informed answer would be most appreciated!

Today I made a pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling - first time for me and it came out very well indeed. Not perfect, but very well. Question - now what - other than eat it? :) Does it need to stay in the fridge? Seriously now, I don't know and an informed answer would be most appreciated!
One of our daughters favorite things to eat this time of year so she makes it and takes it to work or best friends house a few times this season.
It usually doesn't last but when it has, I've seen it in the freezer in individual servings wrapped in S@r@nWr@p for it to be taken out later. It may be labor intensive to do this but if it's sealed well, it'll keep in there, just take out a piece as you need it, let it thaw and there you have it.

Thanks LEFSElover, seran type wrap I'm out of so at the grocery tomorrow I must but some!

Don't bother buying the plastic wrap. I'll just pop over from Mentor and finish it off for you, That's what DC friends are for!:ohmy: I never met a pumpkin roll I didn't like.:LOL:

JoeV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom