What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a pastry decorating class today - we worked with fondant to decorate cupcakes and also made an "icing" fondant that we dipped cookies into.

Baking Challah bread today. Got the recipe from Pie Susan. Going to make a 4-braid and a 6-braid loaf.

Wish me luck!

JoeV

ughh.......Joe da DC Doughboy...........do you really think that I'm going to wish you luck with a bread recipe???? you are going to not only make a great challah but you will improve on it.........post your beautiful pics when you finish.....I love challah

ughh.......Joe da DC Doughboy...........do you really think that I'm going to wish you luck with a bread recipe???? you are going to not only make a great challah but you will improve on it.........post your beautiful pics when you finish.....I love challah

Please explain to this Catholic boy how he can improve on a Challah recipe from George Greenstein??? I don't stand a chance. I'll ask my priest at Mass today if that's possible (he's a baker as well, but not bread), but I think I already know the answer.:rolleyes:

OK, here's my first attempt at braided Challah...

Just before jumping into the oven...

img_726188_0_25daf269e45e5bbdbab57858caf211dd.jpg

After 35 minutes in the tanning bed....

img_726188_1_765329042a4712f07e3fafa6be9b5318.jpg

Forgive me, but I couldn't wait. Me and DS attacked this loaf and tried it plain, with butter and toasted, and now we're planning on making french toast. OMG, is this delicious...

img_726188_2_a87e3b9fe6a2cc9f5dfd0a7cf26e3cc7.jpg

Definitely going to keep this recipe close at hand. It will be a beautiful loaf to take to my brother's home for Thanksgiving. Better make that 2 or three loaves. :LOL:

I would post the recipe, but it came from Pie Susan to me via PM. If you want the recipe, drop her a PM.

JoeV

Wow, beautiful Joe. Could you tell me this at least? Is it an egg loaf base? I can use my own recipe if I know that basic fact.

Today I need to bake a dessert. I'm a bit torn. I'm in the mood for something really rich and sinfully decadent but I'm not sure I'll have the time. I'll post back in an hour or so with the decision.

Wow, beautiful Joe. Could you tell me this at least? Is it an egg loaf base? I can use my own recipe if I know that basic fact.

Today I need to bake a dessert. I'm a bit torn. I'm in the mood for something really rich and sinfully decadent but I'm not sure I'll have the time. I'll post back in an hour or so with the decision.

Yes, it is egg based. one whole egg and two yolks. I found the braiding instructions at

Braid a Six-Strand Challah Bread Loaf | Expert Village Videos

Baking a Four-Strand Challah Bread Loaf | Expert Village Videos

Joe

Thank you Joe. That link is wonderful. I think I may have to give this a go for tonight! We have a turkey dinner tonight and I'm all for adding something that pretty to the table.

OK, here's my first attempt at braided Challah...

Just before jumping into the oven...

img_726803_0_25daf269e45e5bbdbab57858caf211dd.jpg

After 35 minutes in the tanning bed....

img_726803_1_765329042a4712f07e3fafa6be9b5318.jpg

Forgive me, but I couldn't wait. Me and DS attacked this loaf and tried it plain, with butter and toasted, and now we're planning on making french toast. OMG, is this delicious...

img_726803_2_a87e3b9fe6a2cc9f5dfd0a7cf26e3cc7.jpg

Definitely going to keep this recipe close at hand. It will be a beautiful loaf to take to my brother's home for Thanksgiving. Better make that 2 or three loaves. :LOL:

I would post the recipe, but it came from Pie Susan to me via PM. If you want the recipe, drop her a PM.

JoeV

Everyone I know thinks Challah makes the best French toast AND bread pudding in the world. :)

This isn't Pie Susan's recipe, but I can't imagine her's is much different from mine......

Challah
(Jewish Egg Bread)

Challah is the traditional Jewish Sabbath and Holiday bread. It is rich with eggs, and sometimes at Rosh Hashanah -- fruit. This is a pareve Challah. If you wish to make a richer bread (or for a dairy meal) you may substitute whole milk for the 3/4 cup water in the recipe. Special Bonus: If any of the Challah remains to get stale, soaking it in an egg mixture allow you to make the best French Toast in the universe!

makes 2 braided challah (or one large swirled)

1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
6 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Approximately 3/4 cup water
1 large egg yolk mixed with 2 tablespoons water (for brushing the loaf)
Poppy seeds (for sprinkling, optional)

1. Dissolve the yeast in 1/3 cup lukewarm water. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, salt and sugar. Make a hollow in the center and put yeast mixture in the hole. Mix to a thin paste adding a little flour from the sides. Cover and let sit for about 10 minutes.
3. Add eggs, oil and water to the hole. Combine mixture in hollow with flour around it using a spoon at first, then your hands, and adding additional flour to the bottom and sides as needed. Knead well, about 10 minutes, until dough is smooth.
4. The dough should lose its stickiness and completely clean the bowl. Sprinkle a little flour under dough in bowl. Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Punch down and form into loaves (or one large one).
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. To form into loaves: 1) make one large swirled round by rolling into one long coil, and coiling it upward, with the end sticking out the top; (This is the traditional shape for the New Year.) 2) cut off pieces, knead into balls and put side by side in oiled bread pans; 3) Divide in two. Then divide each loaf into five pieces and roll into long coils. Starting from the middle, braid the coils to each end, and put braid(s) into well-oiled bread pan(s) or onto a large baking sheet well sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until almost double in size (about 1 hour).
6. Just before baking, brush tops with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown, and loaf taps hollow. Cool on wire racks.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. For Rosh Hashanah, you may wish to make a “beehive” loaf. Use all the dough and make a long thick coil that you will roll like a snake and let it climb two or three layers.
2. Soy milk makes a very rich-tasting pareve Challah.

Today, I'm baking this bread. The dough is already made and in the fridge. When I get home, I just have to bring it to room temp and form into loaves. It's my favorite sandwich bread.

Jewish-Style Rye Bread

makes 2 medium-sized loaves

2 1/2 cups rye flour
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 package (2 teaspoons) dry yeast
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 3/4 cups water
3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses (Grandma’s yellow label)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 egg white, lightly beaten

1. Combine flours, yeast ,caraway seed and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine water, molasses and butter. Heat until warm (butter does not have to melt).
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour mixture with the warm liquid. Beat at medium speed of an electric hand mixer for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup more flour mixture, or enough to make a thick batter. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
3. With spoon, stir in remaining flour, or enough to make a soft dough. (This is where you may have to add additional flour to get a good consistency.)
5. Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 15 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
6. Punch down. Knead lightly. Divide in two; shape each into a round (or oval) bread. Place on baking sheet you have sprinkled generously with corn meal. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush with egg white (or plain water). If desired, sprinkle with additional caraway seeds. Bake in preheated 400 degrees F. oven for 25 minutes, or until bread taps hollow.
8. Cool on wire racks.

Made a Sourdough No Knead last night. Joe's Challah is inspiring, I think I'll have to try one of those soon.

How was the sourdough No Knead? I'm not crazy about it, and it really needs a kick in the pants to get any height from it, at least that's what happens when I have made it.

This afternoon I will be making Italian bread and Challah bread.

How was the sourdough No Knead? I'm not crazy about it, and it really needs a kick in the pants to get any height from it, at least that's what happens when I have made it.

It was good. My gf claims it was the best sourdough ever: chewy, with the right sourness to it. This was actually the second loaf of it, I made one Friday night as well and it was so popular here that I had to make another. Friday's loaf was pretty much by the book. Sundays loaf I hurried a bit, I used a bit more starter and did a couple french folds during bulk fermentation in order to develop the gluten more quickly. There was little if any noticeable difference between the two loaves, despite the different treatment.

Here's a pic of what's left. Not especially high, but the crumb is nicely open.

Attachments

• sdnoknead1.JPG
    sdnoknead1.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 163
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom