What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great cakes, Laurie. Take a break, girl. If anyones desreves one it's you.

Thanks, Dave, but it was short lived. I ended up making Mexico Karen's Peach poundcake as a house warming present for my best friend. I finally got to see her new place tonight as I went to tea, and that cake is so easy and delicious!

Then I got home to a message that a friend wants a shower cake for August 23rd! At least it is over a month away and is only a shower cake!

Thanks, Dave, but it was short lived. I ended up making Mexico Karen's Peach poundcake as a house warming present for my best friend. I finally got to see her new place tonight as I went to tea, and that cake is so easy and delicious!

Then I got home to a message that a friend wants a shower cake for August 23rd! At least it is over a month away and is only a shower cake!

Good. Now take a rest!

The one thing I will NOT be baking for awhile is cake LOL! finished my last ones yesterday for our niece.

I hope to make some diabetic carrot muffins for Dad and gluten free banana ones for DH.

View attachment 7353
The wedding cake was (from bottom) carrot, chocolate, marble and lemon. There 3 dozen sugar sunflowers of varoius sizes and leaves and the layers are literally suspended on plastic plates and pillars at varying angles. Other views are in my profile photo album.

View attachment 7354
The groom's cake was a special touching gift from the bride to her new hubby. His best friend, who he would have chosen as his best man, died a few years ago and the Game of Life was something they played together often.
beautiful cakes!!

i have a question ............. were do you find diabetic carrots and gluten free bananas? do they have support group forums? :LOL:

What's wrong with gluten?

beautiful cakes!!
I have a question ............. were do you find diabetic carrots and gluten free bananas? do they have support group forums? :LOL:
What is the reason for this "Gluten Free" craze? I use gluten anytime I am making all wheat or all rye breads. They have insufficient gluten for my type of baking. Are my ears going to fall off or something? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
I am about to take my first attempt at knead-free sourdough bread out of the oven. Looks good so far through the pyrex casserole bowl in which I cooked it.;)

What is the reason for this "Gluten Free" craze? I use gluten anytime I am making all wheat or all rye breads. They have insufficient gluten for my type of baking. Are my ears going to fall off or something? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
I am about to take my first attempt at knead-free sourdough bread out of the oven. Looks good so far through the pyrex casserole bowl in which I cooked it.;)
post some pics!! PLEASE!! i have never tried to make sourdough bread before.

there is nothing wrong with gluten. I use it as well any time I make bread. it just makes a better finished product. but there is a disease
out there called 'celiac disease' in which the body can't process gluten
and certain other proteins and such and it can like, KILL you. it is not,
however, as common as people are making it out to be. it's kind of
become the new thing to blame everything on, sort of like the 'disease
of the month' because it was recently discovered that there is a link
between autism and celiac disease. gluten sensitivity that isn't related
to celiac disease is basically a food allergy.
but no, your ears won't fall off!!:LOL:

5 lbs Unbleached All-Purpose flour Whole wheat flour
Rye flour
Soy flour
Rolled oats - ground into "flour" consistency
Wheat germ
Powdered milk
Salt
Dry yeast - 8 tsp or 3 packages dry yeast
Pinch sugar - to proof yeast
Water - 105°F - 115°F

I make a bread of these ingredients (I just throw it together so I don't have a real recipe and the bread looks and tastes different each time) that I use to make regular loaves, cinnamon loaves, pizza and pizza fritta with.

In the case of my DH, and most people who go gluten free, it is definitely not a CRAZE. He suffers from Celiac disease which means his digestive system can not break down gluten in any form and the symptoms include severe cramping, constipation and even vomitting. Hope that clears things up for you.

And MsMofet the MUFFINS are gluten free - the carrots and bananas are naturally that way.

Sorry, but in my house this is no laughing matter.

In the case of my DH, and most people who go gluten free, it is definitely not a CRAZE. He suffers from Celiac disease which means his digestive system can not break down gluten in any form and the symptoms include severe cramping, constipation and even vomitting. Hope that clears things up for you.

And MsMofet the MUFFINS are gluten free - the carrots and bananas are naturally that way.

so sorry

there is nothing wrong with gluten. I use it as well any time I make bread. it just makes a better finished product. but there is a disease
out there called 'celiac disease' in which the body can't process gluten
and certain other proteins and such and it can like, KILL you. it is not,
however, as common as people are making it out to be. it's kind of
become the new thing to blame everything on, sort of like the 'disease
of the month' because it was recently discovered that there is a link
between autism and celiac disease. gluten sensitivity that isn't related
to celiac disease is basically a food allergy.
but no, your ears won't fall off!!:LOL:
Oh good; my wife says my ears are cute. :rolleyes:
Well, I must not have the "celiac disease", since I have been baking with gluten for years. :clap:
Marty

Thank you very much for really explaining what Celiac disease. Is it a wide spread problem. Sorry for you husband. Having anything off-kilter with the digestive system is a real bummer.

Sorry, as I was not making light or fun of the disease. I was just not familiar with it. :ermm:

Nothing today. Yesterday I tried a sweet Hawiian bread. It wouldn't rise the second time so I ploped it in a square cake pan and baked it like corn bread or something. Little crusty on the bottom (mea culpa), great flavor, but too dense so I dumped it.

funny you should mention the sweet bread! I posted an ISO request
the other day and got a recipe for it. I made it last night and it turned
out awesome! check for the thread in the bread forum.

Thank you very much for really explaining what Celiac disease. Is it a wide spread problem. Sorry for you husband. Having anything off-kilter with the digestive system is a real bummer.

Sorry, as I was not making light or fun of the disease. I was just not familiar with it. :ermm:

Thanks to you and MsMoffet for your apologies. I must apologize as well if I sounded a bit harsh. Being trained in special diets and dealing with my family members and clients on a regular basis just brings it all too close to home for me. And yes, we do need to bring some fun into serious matters. I know you meant no harm.

Ella, your descriptions of celiac and the "disease of the month" reputation are spot on. But I am so thankful to see that restaurants, magazines and supermarkets are becoming more educated and offering more products, recipes and information on celiac, lactose intolerance and other digestive problems, as well as diabeties.

I made some "chocolate chunk shortbread bars" out of my new "Diabetic Desserts" cookbook which is accredited by the Canadian Diabetic Association for my Dad last night. He was so happy because he misses his sweets (specially cookies and chocolate) and it contained no artificial sweeteners and yet fit into his exchanges.

I am so happy when I can bake for my men! :chef:

it was very cool here this am so I fired up the oven...actually just turned it off, before I realized I had been eaten out of house and home of almost all bread products this past week......

did get some potatoes baked off and some walnuts roasted for a batch of pesto today......bread will be on my list for tomorrow!

Ella, your descriptions of celiac and the "disease of the month" reputation are spot on. But I am so thankful to see that restaurants, magazines and supermarkets are becoming more educated and offering more products, recipes and information on celiac, lactose intolerance and other digestive problems, as well as diabeties..."

I just wanted to add that I am not dissing anyone who has a diagnosed
condition such as celiac or food allergies, diabetes, etc. I know that
this is real and can be deadly. my problem is with the quacks and the
people who diagnose themselves, and the mentality that people get
when a condition starts getting a lot of press. people who suddenly
think "I am always flatulent!! I must have such-and-such disease!!":mrgreen:
please.

it is awesome that more and more information and warnings are out
there for those who really ARE ill. my friends kid can die if he even
gets a microscopic whiff of peanut dust. stuff like this is no joke.
celiac disease, untreated, destroys the small intestine and releases
toxins into the body at the very least. at the worst your guts just
start to hemorrage and you die. again, no joke. but hypochondriacs
truly annoy.
I feel for you for your husband. what a drag. but as you said, there
are more and more options, so in that case too much press isn't a bad
thing.

and in keeping with the thread, today I am doing something with a
couple pints of fresh blueberries, don't know what yet, and some
chocolate-chip cookies so far. might as well crank out some baking
while this unseasonably LOVELY, humidity-free cool weather holds.

Thanks to you and MsMoffet for your apologies. I must apologize as well if I sounded a bit harsh. Being trained in special diets and dealing with my family members and clients on a regular basis just brings it all too close to home for me. And yes, we do need to bring some fun into serious matters. I know you meant no harm.

Ella, your descriptions of celiac and the "disease of the month" reputation are spot on. But I am so thankful to see that restaurants, magazines and supermarkets are becoming more educated and offering more products, recipes and information on celiac, lactose intolerance and other digestive problems, as well as diabeties.

I made some "chocolate chunk shortbread bars" out of my new "Diabetic Desserts" cookbook which is accredited by the Canadian Diabetic Association for my Dad last night. He was so happy because he misses his sweets (specially cookies and chocolate) and it contained no artificial sweeteners and yet fit into his exchanges.

I am so happy when I can bake for my men! :chef:
no need to appologize to me sweetie!! i deal with food problems also due to stomach problems and migraines. did you know fermented food bring on migrines? i eat the food anyway though and deal with it because i refuse to give up cheese, vinegar, wine and bread to name a few things. i PAY dearly sometimes but i am stupid and have to deal with it till i can't any more!! and how can you ask an italian to give up spices and GARLIC!!?? compared to my friend who has Krones and can't eat ANY veggie or fiber not even a SPEC!! i call myself lucky i only need to deal with my problems!! again i am sorry i didn't mean to make light.

but like people who laugh at tragic events to deal with them i try to use humor in the same way and everyone please uderstand THAT is how i DEAL with sad or tragic things. please take no offence in my words just slap me so i know i did something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom