What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does sound really cute. Do you still have the instructions?

no instructions, sorry. but you can find many recipes for salt dough on line. i don't remember now how long in micro. easy to do one and check the time it took. they can also be baked at 200 in the oven , til they are dry. poke a hole in them for hanging. i used a drinking straw. micro works so well because you can stop it and make sure hole still open. if not , poke it again.i used many different types of cookie cutters. not just stars, etc. baseball mitts and various animals as well. let me know if you do them. salt dough is cheap. they say can be painted with acrylic paint as well. :ohmy::ohmy:

I baked a sponge cake. It's cooling upside down at the moment. It is going in the trifle which is dessert tomorrow for my annual solstice dinner party.

I made a box yellow cake today,as dessert for dinner as we were having some friends coming over and i had a busy day,so didnt have time for something more elaborate,made it into a double layered cake and frosted with good ol' buttercream ,glued sweetened flaked coconut on the sides and decorated with edible pearls..well nothing fancy but they loved it,not a single slice is left.. :)

salt dough is cheap. they say can be painted with acrylic paint as well. :ohmy::ohmy:

I made a salt dough nativity one year and painted them with acrylic paints. it worked great but if you have to mix the paints with water go easy on the water as it can re-hydrate the dough.

the cakes are baked. there were a bit of a hassle. first i put to much batter , they looked like frogs and stuck. next pan i sprayed and used less batter. going to be hard to decorate. may have to use candy confetti for the eyes and buttons. at any rate, to tired to do it now. finished typing my quilt and am pooped. dinner and then i am done for day.

i put glaze on the gingerbread cakes and christmas sprinkles. last night baked 12 small loaves of date nut bread for gifts. saved a couple for me. yummy. today made a chex mix using ranch dressing instead of the usual. made a ton. really don't belong here, no baking.

i put glaze on the gingerbread cakes and christmas sprinkles. last night baked 12 small loaves of date nut bread for gifts. saved a couple for me. yummy. today made a chex mix using ranch dressing instead of the usual. made a ton. really don't belong here, no baking.

I would love to have you recipe for Date Nut Bread. My loves it and I can't seem to find a good recipe for it. Thanks:chef:

Have sweetened dessicated coconut on hand,might make coconut macaroons today...

I started making a Christmas stollen yesterday. Yesterday, I made the walnut marzipan with rum, for the filling. Today, I will soak some fruit in rum to put in it, when I bake it on Thursday. It it will have a spice and sugar crust on top. Hopefully, it will turn out nice. :)

I started making a Christmas stollen yesterday. Yesterday, I made the walnut marzipan with rum, for the filling. Today, I will soak some fruit in rum to put in it, when I bake it on Thursday. It it will have a spice and sugar crust on top. Hopefully, it will turn out nice. :)

Sounds yummy. You made walnut marzipan?! Wow, how do you do that?

Thanks SnickerDoodle,loved the sound of ur recipe,will be waiting for it,as i really wanna try it, but no rush,take ur time! :)

OK, sorry for the wait... I'll just link it:

Peanutty Chocolate Banana Bread

I didn't use any peanuts when I made it, just the peanut butter. The peanut butter flavor was very subtle and probably would have been much more balanced had I added the nuts. I also don't own the stoneware baking dish the recipe says to use so I just used my tin loaf pan and it turned out fine with no adjustments to oven temp/baking time. EXCELLENT bread! Enjoy!!

Sounds yummy. You made walnut marzipan?! Wow, how do you do that?

If you have made the usual almond marzipan, then you can do it the same way with walnuts. If not, then cook ground walnuts with honey or sugar, some water(or rose or orange water) and a few splashes of rum, brandy or whiskey. You put them all in a pot and cook until it thickens to a paste. Then put it in the fridge or out in the garden overnight so it gets more solid. Then you can smear it onto cookies that have been baked as a filling, or in the middle of a fruit bread before baking. If you want very solid marzipan such as the ones found in shops, then put less water in it and honey solidifies better than sugar. After cooking let cool in the garden, and then press it into a solid mass. :chef:

Thank you Mel!, I had never even thought of making almond marzipan at home. Do you grind it with a meat grinder? What proportion of nuts to sugar/honey?

I grind the nuts with a coffee grinder, because nut flavours taste OK with coffee too. Proportions: I never measure them, but around the same quantity of honey as nuts, and go easy on the water. Also, go easy on the alcohol. A few tablespoons of alcohol max is enough. The cooking is a bit like the tecnique used to make jams and chutneys. You cook it enough so the sugar causes a sort of paste, rather than liquid. Dont worry if it still looks a bit liquidy while hot, because when the sugar and oil in the nuts cool it will be less liquidy. :)

I grind the nuts with a coffee grinder, because nut flavours taste OK with coffee too. Proportions: I never measure them, but around the same quantity of honey as nuts, and go easy on the water. Also, go easy on the alcohol. A few tablespoons of alcohol max is enough. The cooking is a bit like the tecnique used to make jams and chutneys. You cook it enough so the sugar causes a sort of paste, rather than liquid. Dont worry if it still looks a bit liquidy while hot, because when the sugar and oil in the nuts cool it will be less liquidy. :)

Thank you. I will give it a try. I love proper marzipan.

Spritz (butter) cookies, gingersnaps, peanut butter fudge, chocolate fudge, peppermint bark and 12 loaves of pumpkin bread. That's enough for today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom