"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Executive Chef

What are you baking today?

I love baking and I'm always intersted to hear what you all have been baking. Thought I'd start this thread up to keep tabs on you all.

I'll be baking two things today.
I have a recipe for these incredible chocolate cookies. There is melted bittersweet chocolate and cocoa in the dough along with chocolate chips and orange zest. They disappear fast.

Dh was trying to convince me yesterday that the bananas were ready for banana bread. I stuck them in a bag with an apple to ripen them up and they are ready now.

I look forward to hearing about what you are baking up!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Everymom

Hey corazon, I think I want the recipe for those cookies. I bet they are a winner. Got a link?

I am going to do cookies today, either oatmeal chocolate chip or that recipe of yours. I'm also contemplating some kind of bar. Maybe lemon bars or a "creation" with a shortbread bottome and some stuff on top.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I'll pm you the recipe. Got it from fine cooking magazine.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Everymom

Is it a recent Mag? I just have the most recent one and I'm contemplating subscribing. Is it worth it?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Executive Chef

It's from December's issue.
I am happy with Fine Cooking. I like the product reviews and the recipes I try almost always turn out great. They also sometimes give you a basic recipe and then lots of different options to play with it. That way you can make it the way you'd like, which is helpful when you have a picky dh and little improvising skills.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Corazon,
Today I'm baking a Ghirardelli's grand fudge cake for my niece. We're giving her a surprise birthday party and I'm going to try to pull off a cake for 30 people. Do you have a good ganache recipe to accent the cake?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Hello Corazon!

I love baking too, and am always baking something it seems..

I'm baking the NY Times No Knead Bread and an apple cheesecake pie..

I would also love to have that chocolate chip recipe if you wouldn't mind..
Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

I'm making our favorite chocolate chip cookies - I use a cup measure for each cookie, so they're really big. They're also really soft - yum!
Need your best chocolate chip recipe
Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Hello! I am a newbie to this site and love everything I have read so far. Today I am cooking for lunch after church tomorrow. I have a pot of large lima butterbeans with chunky ham on the stovetop, potatoes for creamed spuds in the boiler, hard boiled eggs cooling on the sideboard for deviled eggs and cornbread in the oven. After that I am going to attempt my Grandmother Ladelle's Apricot Nectar Bundt Cake. My only difficulty is the "icing". My Grandmothers recipe just says to take a little bit of nectar and mix it with confectioners sugar and drizzle over the warm cake. I can't seem to get the proportions right for it to drizzle and still harden like I remember it. As near as I can remember, it is the consistency of the glaze you pour onto doughnuts. Any ideas?

thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Hospitality Queen

Hi Calagara! Welcome! Your food sounds delish - but I think we all need to try it to make sure....

As for the glaze, make sure you sift the confectioner's sugar at least twice to get all the lumps out, and then use way more than you think you need. Use the nectar sparingly and add just a few extra drops at a time. You'll get the hang of it I'm sure!

Closed Thread

Tags
rye bread