What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I love baking and I'm always intersted to hear what you all have been baking. Thought I'd start this thread up to keep tabs on you all. :LOL:

I'll be baking two things today.
I have a recipe for these incredible chocolate cookies. There is melted bittersweet chocolate and cocoa in the dough along with chocolate chips and orange zest. They disappear fast.

Dh was trying to convince me yesterday that the bananas were ready for banana bread. I stuck them in a bag with an apple to ripen them up and they are ready now.

I look forward to hearing about what you are baking up!

Hey corazon, I think I want the recipe for those cookies. I bet they are a winner. Got a link?

I am going to do cookies today, either oatmeal chocolate chip or that recipe of yours. I'm also contemplating some kind of bar. Maybe lemon bars or a "creation" with a shortbread bottome and some stuff on top.

Is it a recent Mag? I just have the most recent one and I'm contemplating subscribing. Is it worth it?

It's from December's issue.
I am happy with Fine Cooking. I like the product reviews and the recipes I try almost always turn out great. They also sometimes give you a basic recipe and then lots of different options to play with it. That way you can make it the way you'd like, which is helpful when you have a picky dh and little improvising skills. ;)

Corazon,
Today I'm baking a Ghirardelli's grand fudge cake for my niece. We're giving her a surprise birthday party and I'm going to try to pull off a cake for 30 people. Do you have a good ganache recipe to accent the cake?

Last edited:
Hello Corazon!

I love baking too, and am always baking something it seems..

I'm baking the NY Times No Knead Bread and an apple cheesecake pie..

I would also love to have that chocolate chip recipe if you wouldn't mind..:)

Hello! I am a newbie to this site and love everything I have read so far. Today I am cooking for lunch after church tomorrow. I have a pot of large lima butterbeans with chunky ham on the stovetop, potatoes for creamed spuds in the boiler, hard boiled eggs cooling on the sideboard for deviled eggs and cornbread in the oven. After that I am going to attempt my Grandmother Ladelle's Apricot Nectar Bundt Cake. My only difficulty is the "icing". My Grandmothers recipe just says to take a little bit of nectar and mix it with confectioners sugar and drizzle over the warm cake. I can't seem to get the proportions right for it to drizzle and still harden like I remember it. As near as I can remember, it is the consistency of the glaze you pour onto doughnuts. Any ideas?

thanks

Hi Calagara! Welcome! Your food sounds delish - but I think we all need to try it to make sure....:rolleyes:

As for the glaze, make sure you sift the confectioner's sugar at least twice to get all the lumps out, and then use way more than you think you need. Use the nectar sparingly and add just a few extra drops at a time. You'll get the hang of it I'm sure!

You are welcome to taste my food if . . .

you come and visit us at DaySpring Community Church in Columbus, GA tomorrow! I believe it would be quite a drive for some of you, but all are welcome. We always have home cooked meals for lunch after our sunday fellowship. The rule is cook for your family plus one and we always have plenty of leftovers. I believe that my mother in law is making meat loaf, potato salad, green beans and chocolate chip cake . . , yum. One of our dear ladies even brings fried chicken every Sunday. Between the fresh blueberry pie and hummingbird cake last week, I thought I would just pass out. Now maybe you know why i am attempting my Grandmothers cake. It's tough being one of the youngest cooks in this crowd - I'm 48 - since we don't expect the younger and working moms to cook.​

corazon,
If it's not too much trouble, will you pm me the recipes.My dh would really enjoy the cookies.
Today, I am working on NYT bread recipe and an orange chiffon cake.

Mardi Gras

I am going to a Mardi Gras party tonite - I was in charge of the King Cake....so thats what I made this morning. They smell yummy!

I made a banana loaf with plenty of flax seeds and I have a large casserole of baked beans cooking in the oven.

I was very lazy today and bake a loaf of cranberry bread from a box of quick bread. It tasted pretty good, I am on my second slice.:rolleyes:

Cora,
nice thread idea..I made a fresh apple cake with granny snith apples, currants and walnuts, and just finish putting together Paula Deens, chocolate bread pudding for tomorrow, yesterday I made the p/b cookies I got the recipe for here on DC, just p/b,sugar and an egg, they are wonderful, but one caution bake them on parchment as they want to stick to your baking sheet even with cooking spray..That said, if you want you can melt some bittersweet chocolate and drizzle with a fork on the cooled cookies, they go like hot cakes:LOL:
kadesma

Hi Dina ~
Saw your request for a chocolate ganache for the chocolate fudge cake you are making. Here is a recipe that is easy and soooooo good. I use it to frost my favorite cake -- Blackout Cake.

Chocolate Ganache
18 oz. semisweet chocolate chips or semisweet or bittersweet chocolate bars, chopped (3 cups)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a 2-quart glass bowl, combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Heat in a microwave oven on High for 3 minutes or until melted and smooth when stirred. Str in butter and vanilla.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until ganache holds its shape and is thick enough to spread on the cake. Makes enough to fill and frost a 2 layer, 9 inch cake.

I made a quiche this morning and had an extra crust left over. So I was forced to make an apple pie with a crumbly oatmeal topping. It came out perfect. The best one in a long time. Aidan helped me out quite a bit with it. He told me I make pie like a samurai. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom