What are you cooking for Mom today, 05/14/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers, stepmothers, grandmothers, and pet mothers today.

I stopped off in our old neighborhood on the way home this morning and picked up Polish rye bread and ham, and Slovakian potato salad for DW to have for lunch, then brought home blueberry honey wheat pancakes from a local diner for her for breakfast.

Roses and a card from the cats rounded out the morning, and we will be going out for Korean jigae/bibimbap later for dinner.

What are you cooking or eating today?

Today is a special day--a year ago January the Dr said my Mom had 3-5 months to live. She's proved him wrong. Last year, I sent a bouquet of flowers from Ontario--a white rose was in memory of my brother since I had just finished clearing out his apartment.

Today I am making turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli and I have a rhubarb pie in the oven. First cut of the rhubarb my Mom planted 20 years ago. My deceased brother loved rhubarb pie (I only like rhubarb in savory dishes, so this pie is in memory of him). Miss you so, bro. Love you Mom to the moon and back. Today's flowers are daffodils from the flower garden down by the driveway--we can't wheel Mom down the hill, so I have brought the flowers to her.

Last edited:
DH, my FIL and I will be taking dinner to the nursing home where my MIL lives. They have a very nice room with tables and chairs, a microwave, etc., where residents and family members can share a meal. I'm making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans with onions. No dessert because she's diabetic and has been having problems keeping her blood sugar under control.

I'm cooking today for the family.

Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn planned.

Mrs. T: What are we doing for Mothers Day?
Me: I'll cook dinner for you.
Mrs. T: But you cook dinner every day for me.
Me: See, every day is like Mothers Day around here.

We're going to daughter and SIL's house, but I'm making dinner. At Mrs. T's request, it will be salmon and fresh tagliatelle, which I made once before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzZgt4jLGCY

A veggie salad on the side, and a loaf of rosemary and olive oil dutch oven bread which I made this morning. Everything is prepped and ready to go, so all I need to do is boil the water for the pasta and dump the salmon in the pan.

Chicken marsala and pasta. I am also finally getting around to making the Boudin. I'll probably stuff some into casings and save some as bulk for balls.

I brined a couple of chickens overnight, and I'm going to cook them on the rotisserie on my dad's grill. I'm also making some Jamaican rice and peas. So, it's kind of a caribbean theme for mother's day supper.

CD

Happy Mother´s Day to All ..

In Spain, Mother´s Day is always the 1st Sunday in May (not the 2nd Sunday in May), and so last week, my husband, 2 married sons, and my 2 daughter in laws and 2 young grandsons, my parents, the parents of my daughter in laws, and I, went to a favorite restaurant in Barcelona called:

Restaurant Ikibana Born ..

Born, Barcelona, is a Soho, London or Greenwich Village type neighborhood and loads of fun to explore ... It is Japanese Brazilian cuisine !

Nipo Brasileña ..

Http://www.ikibana.com

Last edited:
I was hoping to grill a hunk o'meat of some kind, but when I visited the neighbor's freezer (he's kindly storing the overflow for us after DH pulled the door off the bottom drawer freezer on our fridge) I determined it will probably be hotdogs tonight.

Dawg, I love how you keep bringing up your freezer drawer story. :LOL:

I'm the chief cook and bottle washer in this house...Himself is inept with anything more than a toaster. :LOL: Still, he's my guy. :wub: With that in mind, he will be doing what he does best when it comes to food - making a run to a local restaurant for one of my favorite foods. We'll get a tub of broaster chicken (plenty of leftovers :yum: ) and a serving of JoJo potatoes. While he's gone, I'll nuke some frozen peas for the side dish. I may need to make a salad to move a few things out of my stuffed fridge so that there is room for the leftovers. :ermm:

A reduced carb version of General Tso's chicken, the poor General is probably spinning in his grave! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Mine didn't look anything like this but the presentation makes me laugh!!!

onigiri-bento.png

My mom's 2000 miles away and has already had her Mother's Day meal at Outback. I gave her a call though and she got my card, so that's good.

So I guess I'm cooking for me and tonight I'm making Beef and Guiness stew and fondant potatoes.

Happy Mother´s Day to All ..

In Spain, Mother´s Day is always the 1st Sunday in May (not the 2nd Sunday in May), and so last week, my husband, 2 married sons, and my 2 daughter in laws and 2 young grandsons, my parents, the parents of my daughter in laws, and I, went to a favorite restaurant in Barcelona called:

Restaurant Ikibana Born ..

Born, Barcelona, is a Soho, London or Greenwich Village type neighborhood and loads of fun to explore ... It is Japanese Brazilian cuisine !

Nipo Brasileña ..

Http://www.ikibana.com

Last time I was in Spain, I stayed at La Meridien Hotel in that general part of Barcelona, and wandered all over the neighborhood. It is a cool neighborhood, and I found some good food. Of course, I was focused on Spanish/Catalan food.

CD

What I would give to be able to cook for my Mom again on Mother's Day!

My sons and their families took us out for brunch yesterday to celebrate...much better idea, and it was lovely without any stress just one day removed.

Tonight I did Chef John's rusty thighs on the grill..delish, and the side was my own version of Ratatouille that was to die for.

Last edited:
With visitors from FL and MA, we had a full house for brunch and dinner.

Brunch was mimosas, french toast, sausage bread, three kinds of muffins and fruit.

For dinner we had a bacon cheeseburger meatloaf, chicken dinner pie, baked potatoes and salad for dinner. Dinner was my New York style cheesecake with blueberry topping.

What I would give to be able to cook for my Mom again on Mother's Day!

My sons and their families took us out for brunch yesterday to celebrate...much better idea, and it was lovely without any stress just one day removed.

Tonight I did Chef John's rusty thighs on the grill..delish, and the side was my own version of Ratatouille that was to die for.

Can you post your recipe for ratatouille please.

Back
Top Bottom