What are you drinking (again...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vodka and tonic with a twist of lime!
(Potato vodka that is. Tripple filtered.)
You know vodka was made from wheat originally. But the Germans took all of the wheat away from the Russians during WW II, so they reverted to potatoes. And they all discovered it was better!

shannon in KS said:
Lindeman's Chardonnay Bin 65, surprisingly tasty for $9!!!

It occurs to me that I've not had a chardonnay in quite some time. Might need to dig one out for tonight!

Currently dealeing with a major crisis here at the office - it wasn't even 9:30 when we heard the words "We're out of coffee" :ohmy:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

John

veddy interesting, pete. i knew vodka is made from several things, but who woulda thought to use potatoes?

i am having a pot of earl grey supreme from harney and sons teas.

buckytom said:
veddy interesting, pete. i knew vodka is made from several things, but who woulda thought to use potatoes?

i am having a pot of earl grey supreme from harney and sons teas.

Any of us Pole-skis would!!!

Got about 3 different types of potato vodka at the house, plus a rye vodka, plus a.. (Well, you get the point).

I refuse to drink one of the trendy new vodkas that claims to be made from grapes. If it isn't made from a grain starch, it isn't vodka!!

Grapes would make a brandy, or an eau-de-vie! :angel:

John

or grappa. my neighbor makes the meanest grappa/tar remover. good for stripping your esophagus, too.

i'm hoping his wine will be better this year. he's always made a 50 gallon drum of wine every fall in a plastic drum, but this year, he bought an oak barrel from a liquor store. it turns out it was a real barrel that was lacquered to be used as a display. the owner was going to turn into firewood, so my neighbor bought it for a hundred bucks, and we sanded down the inside. the oakwood is beautiful, and the coopering perfect for such thick pieces of oak.

True, the pomice(?) (skins, stems, seeds, etc) makes grappa. Wicked stuff!!

Did you guys toast the inside of the barrel at all? Most barrels that I know of (And I'm far from being an expert) have some sort of toast to them, as well as the oak chips that I can buy at the brew store...

John

ya know, i had read about, and spoken to some old italian guys that said you needed to torch the inside, and after it's been used, to burn a strip of sulphur in it every year. but my neighbor didn't want to do anything after sanding and washing it. maybe it needs a year soak before you toast it? i dunno. my macedonian isn't too good.

buckytom said:
ya know, i had read about, and spoken to some old italian guys that said you needed to torch the inside, and after it's been used, to burn a strip of sulphur in it every year. but my neighbor didn't want to do anything after sanding and washing it. maybe it needs a year soak before you toast it? i dunno. my macedonian isn't too good.

Cooperage isn't my strong point, but the candle is for keeping mold and bad beasties from taking hold in the barrel (once a barrel is infected, it's nearly impossible to fix). Sulfite solutions do the same thing, plus help keep the barrel wet, so it starys sealed.

Not sure about the soak then toast, I think they're toasted new, and then filled straight away. The first use of a barrel is the most potent it will ever be, tanin wise, it contributes less and less with each following use.

John

i am up for cider (cidar?). need to go post 'n see if you guys have any good grown-up cider recipes.:-p

luvs_food said:
i am up for cider (cidar?). need to go post 'n see if you guys have any good grown-up cider recipes.:-p

I have 5 gallons of grown up cider going in the basement right now! :-p

Think I have a bottle or two of the last batch, too. If you can get to Dearborn, MI before the snow hits, you're welcome to them!

John

ronjohn55 said:
I have 5 gallons of grown up cider going in the basement right now! :-p

Think I have a bottle or two of the last batch, too. If you can get to Dearborn, MI before the snow hits, you're welcome to them!

John

so, i'm weighing my options.... liquor store 5 minutes away, or going to ronjonhn's for some cider.... think i'm gonna be on my way to your place, ronjohn.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom