What are you eating Friday July 19, 2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went to our neighborhood monthly happy hour/potluck last night. I brought a chopped Greek salad with fresh mint and parsley from the garden and a lemony dressing and we ate the delicious offerings of our neighbors. So much fun :yum:
0719191937.jpg

It's not a sub, it's a hoagie. You get a Sub in North Jersey and NY. In South Jersey, it is a hoagie. Pretty much the same, but different bread. Bread you can only get in and around Philadelphia.

I had a nice bacon and scrambled egg breakfast on the way to the airport this morning. Lunch on the plane was not so good. A chicken breast that was not as moist and tender as shoe leather, and a mediocre "Mexican" salad. Dinner was at the Ruby Tuesday's across the street from my hotel. Again, mediocre. Can't imagine why they are going out of business.

As long as I get my killer hoagie, with some help from luckytrim, I will consider it a good trip.

I don't remember what I ordered for the flight home -- I hope it is better.

When I was traveling a lot for work, I started ordering the vegetarian meal, although I'm not a vegetarian. I saw it on someone else's plate and it was so pretty and fresh-looking, I decided to get it next time. It's generally some combination of raw fruits and vegetables, a dip, bread and cheese and maybe yogurt. Nothing to overcook and dry out.

We went to our neighborhood monthly happy hour/potluck last night. I brought a chopped Greek salad with fresh mint and parsley from the garden and a lemony dressing and we ate the delicious offerings of our neighbors. So much fun :yum:
View attachment 35697

I love the look of that salad GG! Can you give me more details or post a recipe? :yum:
I sure wish I lived in your neighborhood. ;)

Are the rolls from Amorosa's Bakery? If so, the Aldi down in Dayville, CT, has it in stock regularly. I did buy my rolls locally, though, since my Aldi shopping list has to be long enough to justify the 16-mile-trip each way. Unless we need to go to Lowe's. Then Aldi is just across the street.

Yes, they are Amorosa's rolls. I can order them online, but the cost with shipping is ridiculous.

CD

When I was traveling a lot for work, I started ordering the vegetarian meal, although I'm not a vegetarian. I saw it on someone else's plate and it was so pretty and fresh-looking, I decided to get it next time. It's generally some combination of raw fruits and vegetables, a dip, bread and cheese and maybe yogurt. Nothing to overcook and dry out.

I've heard other people say that, too. I'll have to try it.

CD

I suppose the last thing you would want to do is wrap and freeze those. Still, how long could it take to lovingly wrap each roll in plastic wrap, them tuck them into freezer bags and pop into the freezer. Surely you'd have enough time and energy to process one package...:whistling:

I love the look of that salad GG! Can you give me more details or post a recipe? :yum:
I sure wish I lived in your neighborhood. ;)
I wish you lived in our neighborhood, too! :winkiss: These parties are lots of fun. They include everyone from their 30s to their 70s, so it's a great mix.

I pretty much followed this recipe, although I used an orange pepper instead of a green one - I wanted lots of colors. I wasn't crazy about the lemon dressing, though. I think it was diluted a bit by the vinegar.
https://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/greek-chopped-salad-recipe/

Next time, I'll use the red wine vinegar dressing from this recipe. I also like the variety of shapes the veggies are cut into.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/the-best-greek-salad-tomato-feta-summer-recipe.html

Last edited:

Noticed the URL is afarmgirlsdabbles. This site has one of my favorite recipes: Lasagna Soup. I highly recommend it.

Lasagna Soup from afarmgirlsdabbles site

There are a few changes I make. One is that I par-boil the sausage for 4-5 minutes and then drain the water. Slice the sausage in coins. This makes it a little less greasy IMO.

I make the soup with the noodles/cheesy yum separate. So when serving the soup, I put some noodles (bowties are my favorite) into a bowl, ladle the soup in, and then top with cheesy yum.

Noticed the URL is afarmgirlsdabbles. This site has one of my favorite recipes: Lasagna Soup. I highly recommend it.

Lasagna Soup from afarmgirlsdabbles site

There are a few changes I make. One is that I par-boil the sausage for 4-5 minutes and then drain the water. Slice the sausage in coins. This makes it a little less greasy IMO.

I make the soup with the noodles/cheesy yum separate. So when serving the soup, I put some noodles (bowties are my favorite) into a bowl, ladle the soup in, and then top with cheesy yum.
That sounds really good, although I'll have to change the name of it ;) If I say I'm making lasagna, my husband will immediately think I'm talking about the one I make every year for his birthday. I mentioned a skillet lasagna recipe I have in a cookbook and he wasn't at all impressed or interested [emoji38]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom