What are you eating Friday July 19, 2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight will probably be stove top grilled strip steak. Either with tossed green salad or cold lemon & garlic string bean salad.

July 19th
But with the heat expected this could change.

We will have chicken thighs in a pineapple sauce with rice and something green..

I'm baking a peach cobbler for two, for later..

Ross

While grocery shopping today SO and I sampled a caramelized onion and mushroom flatbread/pizza in the store. It was really good so we bought one with a $2 coupon. SO will make salads to go with it.

I'm planning on pulled pork on wholegrain baguette with salad on the side. Maybe a fruit salad for dessert.

We'll be having my copycat version of the Original Quisno sub as taught to me by one of the employees of the family owned Columbus, OH pizza and sub shop. SO much better than carry-out subs. Might even rival that sub caseydog is planning on getting when he's in New Jersey. :cool: Side will probably be a corn and tomato salad. And I hope my pickles are "done" when I check them later today.

We'll be having my copycat version of the Original Quisno sub as taught to me by one of the employees of the family owned Columbus, OH pizza and sub shop. SO much better than carry-out subs. Might even rival that sub caseydog is planning on getting when he's in New Jersey. :cool: Side will probably be a corn and tomato salad. And I hope my pickles are "done" when I check them later today.

Love Quiznos..

My favorite is the meatball on rosemary parm bread..

Ross

We had stove top grilled strip steak and tossed green salad.

steak_071919_IMG_6019.jpg

salad_071919_IMG_6024.jpg

Would be interested in hearing the details on how to make one.
Most importantly, use quality ingredients. Since I don't have a pizza oven, I first toast my rolls, then layer the meats on the bottom half of the roll. Always capicola ham, pepperoni, and salami. Then another one or two hams - this time I used prociutto and basic deli ham. Pop it into the oven or under the broiler to warm the meat. When you take it out, top the meat with mozz, provolone, or both. Broil until the cheese is melted. Meanwhile, drizzle seasoned olive oil on the top half of the roll - I like it that way so that the oil doesn't dribble over the veggies and down my arm. When you take the bottom bun from the oven, top it with thin sliced onion, pepperoncini slices, tomato slices, and lettuce. Put the top on, cut in half, admire your work, and chomp down.

The pickles weren't quite ready for prime time, but something tasty needed to fill the plate and we don't have potato chips in the house.
IMG_20190719_211701009.jpg

Love Quiznos...

My favorite is the meatball on rosemary parm bread..
I'm pretty sure that Quisno's never offered that sub. ;) The Quiznos chain was founded by a guy who had briefly worked for the stand-alone, family run Quisno's Pizza and Subs in Columbus OH. I think all they had back in the 1960s and 1970s were Italian, meatball, and sausage subs. The bulk of their business was pizza. And it was ALL good - except when you were staying with a friend who lived right across from the place. I have no idea how she could sleep with the smell of that place wafting through her apartment until 2 or 3 in the morning! :LOL: Anyway, the former employee decided to start up a sub shop when he lived in Denver, altered the spelling of the name, and turned it into a chain offering lower quality subs. There were lawsuits and all that stuff involved. The chain cant's hold a candle to what the family shop turned out.

Everything looks delicious tonight.
It was a perfect mild evening for grilling tonight (sorry it's so hot elsewhere) but I had a grilling good time out there with my music and wine.

It was a simple Italian grill with our favorite veggies marinated in an Italian vinaigrette, and both sweet and hot Italian sausages along with Texas garlic cheese toast.

Attachments

• P7190014[1].jpg
    P7190014[1].jpg
    88 KB · Views: 116
  • P7190016[1].jpg
    P7190016[1].jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 94
Everything looks delicious tonight.
It was a perfect mild evening for grilling tonight (sorry it's so hot elsewhere) but I had a grilling good time out there with my music and wine.

It was a simple Italian grill with our favorite veggies marinated in an Italian vinaigrette, and both sweet and hot Italian sausages along with Texas garlic cheese toast.

That looks fantastic K!

It's not a sub, it's a hoagie. You get a Sub in North Jersey and NY. In South Jersey, it is a hoagie. Pretty much the same, but different bread. Bread you can only get in and around Philadelphia.

I had a nice bacon and scrambled egg breakfast on the way to the airport this morning. Lunch on the plane was not so good. A chicken breast that was not as moist and tender as shoe leather, and a mediocre "Mexican" salad. Dinner was at the Ruby Tuesday's across the street from my hotel. Again, mediocre. Can't imagine why they are going out of business.

As long as I get my killer hoagie, with some help from luckytrim, I will consider it a good trip.

I don't remember what I ordered for the flight home -- I hope it is better.

CD

Last edited:
Are the rolls from Amorosa's Bakery? If so, the Aldi down in Dayville, CT, has it in stock regularly. I did buy my rolls locally, though, since my Aldi shopping list has to be long enough to justify the 16-mile-trip each way. Unless we need to go to Lowe's. Then Aldi is just across the street.

Craig made sort of a lasagna with grilled slices of zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant acting as the "noodles.". Garlic knots on the side.

I'm pretty sure that Quisno's never offered that sub. ;) The Quiznos chain was founded by a guy who had briefly worked for the stand-alone, family run Quisno's Pizza and Subs in Columbus OH. I think all they had back in the 1960s and 1970s were Italian, meatball, and sausage subs. The bulk of their business was pizza. And it was ALL good - except when you were staying with a friend who lived right across from the place. I have no idea how she could sleep with the smell of that place wafting through her apartment until 2 or 3 in the morning! :LOL: Anyway, the former employee decided to start up a sub shop when he lived in Denver, altered the spelling of the name, and turned it into a chain offering lower quality subs. There were lawsuits and all that stuff involved. The chain cant's hold a candle to what the family shop turned out.

My bad... Love the chain and its offerings anyway..

Ross

Flat Iron steak on the bbq...

39817-albums933-picture8024.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom