What are you eating Monday January 11, 2010?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
french toast sticks and a cup of turbo coffee from BK for breakfast.

dinner will be leftover stew and more biscuits or corn bread.

what are you eating?

Dinner is Lasagna, home made bread, and birthday cake for my sister's 50th birthday.
Coffee and tea for the adults, milk or soda for the kids.

dh will be home all day so we will be finishing off the pizza

soaked some kidney beans last night and am presently simmering them. will put together a chili tomorrow, with four meats; one pound each of ground venison, chevon and local beef, and will mince the last of the smoked venison..i'm really looking forward to that concoction!

I have a 10 pound chub of excellent quality ground beef and am hoping today to cook it up and start making things with it. The plan is chili (Beth, mine has 1 meat and 3 kinds of beans LOL!!), spaghetti sauce and lasagna (I mix mild Italian sausage with the beef for this).

So, dinner depends what I get done! It may turn out to be meat pies and salad :LOL:

I have a 10 pound chub of excellent quality ground beef and am hoping today to cook it up and start making things with it. The plan is chili (Beth, mine has 1 meat and 3 kinds of beans LOL!!), spaghetti sauce and lasagna (I mix mild Italian sausage with the beef for this).

So, dinner depends what I get done! It may turn out to be meat pies and salad :LOL:
oh lord adopt me!! LOL all sounds good!!

btw i added sausage to my beef in lasagna also. i have never had meat pies with beef i have only had mom's italian meat pie usually for easter (pics below). whats in your meat pie? i'd love to see your meat pies and a recipe.

img_870756_0_9fa70a2544a7a66a4abf86482abeeabe.jpg

img_870756_1_4f2518d226d3f20f6da1ab456ba788e3.jpg

I don't really have a recipe, Ms M, I just kinda made it up a long time ago because I didn't like commercial pies. I make chicken ones as well, but a little differently.

I just make a shortcrust pastry, and for my filling I cook the beef with onions and garlic just until the pink is gone, add some flour and beef broth and frozen peas (sometimes with corn and carrots). I cook till the flour is cooked and there is just a tough of gravy but not too thin. I season with salt, pepper, Italian herbs (my own blend but you can use anything) and a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce.

I make individual pies in small foil pans, using a top and bottom crust, slitting the top once or twice. I freeze them this way and when I am ready to use them I thaw, add an egg wash to the tops and bake at 400 until the pastry is brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.

I don't have pictures but will be sure to take some.

I don't really have a recipe, Ms M, I just kinda made it up a long time ago because I didn't like commercial pies. I make chicken ones as well, but a little differently.

I just make a shortcrust pastry, and for my filling I cook the beef with onions and garlic just until the pink is gone, add some flour and beef broth and frozen peas (sometimes with corn and carrots). I cook till the flour is cooked and there is just a tough of gravy but not too thin. I season with salt, pepper, Italian herbs (my own blend but you can use anything) and a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce.

I make individual pies in small foil pans, using a top and bottom crust, slitting the top once or twice. I freeze them this way and when I am ready to use them I thaw, add an egg wash to the tops and bake at 400 until the pastry is brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.

I don't have pictures but will be sure to take some.
ok so basically what we call "pot pies". you do a top and bottom crust? that is so yummy!! i stopped buying store pot pies because alot of them started just doing the top crust.

When I grew up "pot pies" had chunks of meat, a lot of gravy and vegetables. These are what my mom called "meat pies" because they are ground meat, two crusts and very little gravy - only enough so they aren't dry. I literally stuff the shells as full as I can with the meat mixture. The peas and other veggies if used are one of my own additions to get my Dad and DH to eat vegetables!

When I grew up "pot pies" had chunks of meat, a lot of gravy and vegetables. These are what my mom called "meat pies" because they are ground meat, two crusts and very little gravy - only enough so they aren't dry. I literally stuff the shells as full as I can with the meat mixture. The peas and other veggies if used are one of my own additions to get my Dad and DH to eat vegetables!
yup chunks of meat (not ground meat BUT it sounds very yummy almost a cottage pie with chunks of potatoes not maashed in crust).

we would get chicken, turkey or beef pot pies when i was a kid.

I make 3 bean chili too with the ground beef. :)

We're going to have the steaks we were going to have yesterday for DH's birthday. We ate such a big brunch yesterday that we weren't really hungry and we did have some delicious leftovers to heat up...chicken & homemade noodles, Swiss steak, and chili brats.

btw what are the 3 types of beans you two ladies use in your chili's?

btw what are the 3 types of beans you two ladies use in your chili's?

I use kidney beans, black beans and cannelli (or white kidney) beans. If I am making vegetarian chili I also add pinto beans and green lentils.

What about you, LadyCook?

We're going to have the steaks we were going to have yesterday for DH's birthday. We ate such a big brunch yesterday that we weren't really hungry and we did have some delicious leftovers to heat up...chicken & homemade noodles, Swiss steak, and chili brats.

Happy BDay to your DH, Connie! Enjoy your steaks!

Connie, tell Kim Happy Birthday:)
Dinner here today is scampi over angel hair pasta, Warm rolls and butter,Avocado's stuffed with crab,and grilled artichokes and baked apples for dessert.
kadesma

I use kidney beans, black beans and cannelli (or white kidney) beans. If I am making vegetarian chili I also add pinto beans and green lentils.

What about you, LadyCook?
sounds yummy!!

I've got chicken pot pie in the oven now (Ina Garten's recipe). All the talk of chili and the picture of that stromboli have got me thinking about dinner for the rest of the week... yummmmmm....

Back
Top Bottom