"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Master Chef

What are you eating Monday January 11, 2010?

french toast sticks and a cup of turbo coffee from BK for breakfast.

dinner will be leftover stew and more biscuits or corn bread.

what are you eating?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Master Chef

Dinner is Lasagna, home made bread, and birthday cake for my sister's 50th birthday.
Coffee and tea for the adults, milk or soda for the kids.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Executive Chef

dh will be home all day so we will be finishing off the pizza

soaked some kidney beans last night and am presently simmering them. will put together a chili tomorrow, with four meats; one pound each of ground venison, chevon and local beef, and will mince the last of the smoked venison..i'm really looking forward to that concoction!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

I have a 10 pound chub of excellent quality ground beef and am hoping today to cook it up and start making things with it. The plan is chili (Beth, mine has 1 meat and 3 kinds of beans LOL!!), spaghetti sauce and lasagna (I mix mild Italian sausage with the beef for this).

So, dinner depends what I get done! It may turn out to be meat pies and salad

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I have a 10 pound chub of excellent quality ground beef and am hoping today to cook it up and start making things with it. The plan is chili (Beth, mine has 1 meat and 3 kinds of beans LOL!!), spaghetti sauce and lasagna (I mix mild Italian sausage with the beef for this).

oh lord adopt me!! LOL all sounds good!!

btw i added sausage to my beef in lasagna also. i have never had meat pies with beef i have only had mom's italian meat pie usually for easter (pics below). whats in your meat pie? i'd love to see your meat pies and a recipe.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

I don't really have a recipe, Ms M, I just kinda made it up a long time ago because I didn't like commercial pies. I make chicken ones as well, but a little differently.

I just make a shortcrust pastry, and for my filling I cook the beef with onions and garlic just until the pink is gone, add some flour and beef broth and frozen peas (sometimes with corn and carrots). I cook till the flour is cooked and there is just a tough of gravy but not too thin. I season with salt, pepper, Italian herbs (my own blend but you can use anything) and a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce.

I make individual pies in small foil pans, using a top and bottom crust, slitting the top once or twice. I freeze them this way and when I am ready to use them I thaw, add an egg wash to the tops and bake at 400 until the pastry is brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.

I don't have pictures but will be sure to take some.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
I don't really have a recipe, Ms M, I just kinda made it up a long time ago because I didn't like commercial pies. I make chicken ones as well, but a little differently.

I just make a shortcrust pastry, and for my filling I cook the beef with onions and garlic just until the pink is gone, add some flour and beef broth and frozen peas (sometimes with corn and carrots). I cook till the flour is cooked and there is just a tough of gravy but not too thin. I season with salt, pepper, Italian herbs (my own blend but you can use anything) and a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce.

I make individual pies in small foil pans, using a top and bottom crust, slitting the top once or twice. I freeze them this way and when I am ready to use them I thaw, add an egg wash to the tops and bake at 400 until the pastry is brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.

I don't have pictures but will be sure to take some.
ok so basically what we call "pot pies". you do a top and bottom crust? that is so yummy!! i stopped buying store pot pies because alot of them started just doing the top crust.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

When I grew up "pot pies" had chunks of meat, a lot of gravy and vegetables. These are what my mom called "meat pies" because they are ground meat, two crusts and very little gravy - only enough so they aren't dry. I literally stuff the shells as full as I can with the meat mixture. The peas and other veggies if used are one of my own additions to get my Dad and DH to eat vegetables!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
When I grew up "pot pies" had chunks of meat, a lot of gravy and vegetables. These are what my mom called "meat pies" because they are ground meat, two crusts and very little gravy - only enough so they aren't dry. I literally stuff the shells as full as I can with the meat mixture. The peas and other veggies if used are one of my own additions to get my Dad and DH to eat vegetables!
yup chunks of meat (not ground meat BUT it sounds very yummy almost a cottage pie with chunks of potatoes not maashed in crust).

we would get chicken, turkey or beef pot pies when i was a kid.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:

I make 3 bean chili too with the ground beef.