"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What are you eating Monday July 22, 2019?

Food shopping day. Out of house at 6:15am (80F and humid) before it heated up. I hit ShopRite & Trader Joe's.

Brunch was rotisserie chicken, stuffed grape leaves, feta cheese chunks and peach slices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lunch_chicken_072219_IMG_6034.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	35725

July 22nd

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Scrolling through Twitter this morning, I came across a recipe that looked good. I clicked on it and started to read it when I realized it looked familiar. I went to my recipe/poultry folder and realized I had four other copies of the exact same recipe. Clearly I didn't need another copy. I deleted all but one copy of the recipe, printed it out and grabbed a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs out of the freezer.

The recipe is for Sambal Chicken Skewers (Bon Appettit/Epicurious) and it still sounds good. I'll report back to let you know if my years long fascination with this recipe was actually worth it.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I'm making some whole wheat bread so decided on pizza. With green peppers, cooked onions, pineapple, black olives, mushrooms, a fennel tomato sauce on the bottom and a no-cheeze sauce on the top.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I picked up a couple of thick bone-in pork chops, which I will sous vide at 140 (per seriouseats). Rain is in the forecast for dinner time, so I'll set up the propane burner in the garage and sear them in a CI skillet, keeping the mess out of the kitchen. Sides will be pasta salad and a house salad.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll be doing a Hot Bacon/Shrimp Asparagus Salad based on this recipe from Taste of Home.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...paragus-salad/

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Scrolling through Twitter this morning, I came across a recipe that looked good. I clicked on it and started to read it when I realized it looked familiar. I went to my recipe/poultry folder and realized I had four other copies of the exact same recipe. Clearly I didn't need another copy. I deleted all but one copy of the recipe, printed it out and grabbed a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs out of the freezer.

The recipe is for Sambal Chicken Skewers (Bon Appettit/Epicurious) and it still sounds good. I'll report back to let you know if my years long fascination with this recipe was actually worth it.
UPDATE!: This recipe is really good.SO and I both liked it a lot. It's super simple to make.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...ewers-51175290
Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Easy stove top dinner of mac and ground beef. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190722_205452686.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	35727

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I picked up a couple of thick bone-in pork chops, which I will sous vide at 140 (per seriouseats). Rain is in the forecast for dinner time, so I'll set up the propane burner in the garage and sear them in a CI skillet, keeping the mess out of the kitchen. Sides will be pasta salad and a house salad.
I tend to go with 145 for BI pork chops sous vide. The texture doesn't seem quite right at lower temperatures, at least to me. Let us know how they turn out!

CD
Old 07-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

First run of Homemade Chicken Mei Fun. Was good but needs a little tweaking.

Name:	chicken_mei_fun_072219_IMG_6038.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	35728
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
Master Chef

I had another airline meal for dinner. They called it beef short ribs, but I know what short ribs look like, at it is not what was on my plate. It was kind of a beef puck of some sort. It had fake grill marks on it -- not kidding. It's like they used a stencil and edible spray paint.

CD
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We ordered out. I had a steak, pepperoni, and mushroom sub. Stirling had tortellini with a meat and tomato sauce.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'll be doing a Hot Bacon/Shrimp Asparagus Salad based on this recipe from Taste of Home.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...paragus-salad/

This turned out great for a summer night. I've made this recipe before, but added shrimp to the mix this time on a bed of baby spinach with slivered red onion slices, along with toasted garlic bread. Tasty and pretty me thinks...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P7220021[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	35730  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #13
Head Chef

I made a batch of gazpacho for earlier, then later I made some gumbo, with a generous amount of tomatoes, plus some of the okra I've been harvesting. I started out with 4 oz of bacon in the gumbo, and I realized that was the first meat I had used in well over a week! That's because I'm trying to use up all those veggies from the garden, yet I've not made much of a dent in them.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I made a batch of gazpacho for earlier, then later I made some gumbo, with a generous amount of tomatoes, plus some of the okra I've been harvesting. I started out with 4 oz of bacon in the gumbo, and I realized that was the first meat I had used in well over a week! That's because I'm trying to use up all those veggies from the garden, yet I've not made much of a dent in them.
With all the tomatoes, that's a Creole gumbo. The bacon is probably as close as you can get to Tasso in NJ, unless you make your own. I have to make my own in Dallas, because I can't buy it here. Okra is used in Creole and Cajun gumbo, depending on who makes it. I use it in my gumbo, which is a Cajun gumbo.

I've never made a Creole gumbo, which is probably a better choice for summertime. I need to do it sometime. I'm thinking some good Gulf shrimp for that.

CD
Old 07-23-2019, 05:20 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Beer brined grilled pork chops and a medley of sauteed fresh corn, green and red bell peppers, and onions.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I tend to go with 145 for BI pork chops sous vide. The texture doesn't seem quite right at lower temperatures, at least to me. Let us know how they turn out!

CD
Pork chops came out great. They were lean center cut chops, and I don't think I would cook them higher than 140. There are a couple of specialty meat shops in the area, and I'll have to try some shoulder chops.

Searing in the CI pan on the propane burner worked much better than the steaks I seared on the grill. It's not something I would do indoors, though. I expected a lot of smoke and spattering, and I wasn't disappointed!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #17
Cook

Chickpea and Quinoa Salad! it was light and amazing.
kenmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Hot Turkey Open-Faced & mashed Spuds, Gravy, Steamed Sprouts, Mexican Street Corn...

Name:	Turkey & Gravy.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	35736
Old 07-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Monday, I made fresh pesto with basil from the garden and used that to make pesto pasta and bruschetta. I served previously grilled chicken on the pasta and more pesto :yum : And a few quick pickles.

Name:	0722192109b.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	35748

Tags
eating