What are you eating Monday July 22, 2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scrolling through Twitter this morning, I came across a recipe that looked good. I clicked on it and started to read it when I realized it looked familiar. I went to my recipe/poultry folder and realized I had four other copies of the exact same recipe. Clearly I didn't need another copy. I deleted all but one copy of the recipe, printed it out and grabbed a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs out of the freezer.

The recipe is for Sambal Chicken Skewers (Bon Appettit/Epicurious) and it still sounds good. I'll report back to let you know if my years long fascination with this recipe was actually worth it.

I'm making some whole wheat bread so decided on pizza. With green peppers, cooked onions, pineapple, black olives, mushrooms, a fennel tomato sauce on the bottom and a no-cheeze sauce on the top.

I picked up a couple of thick bone-in pork chops, which I will sous vide at 140 (per seriouseats). Rain is in the forecast for dinner time, so I'll set up the propane burner in the garage and sear them in a CI skillet, keeping the mess out of the kitchen. Sides will be pasta salad and a house salad.

Scrolling through Twitter this morning, I came across a recipe that looked good. I clicked on it and started to read it when I realized it looked familiar. I went to my recipe/poultry folder and realized I had four other copies of the exact same recipe. Clearly I didn't need another copy. I deleted all but one copy of the recipe, printed it out and grabbed a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs out of the freezer.

The recipe is for Sambal Chicken Skewers (Bon Appettit/Epicurious) and it still sounds good. I'll report back to let you know if my years long fascination with this recipe was actually worth it.

UPDATE!: This recipe is really good.SO and I both liked it a lot. It's super simple to make.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sambal-chicken-skewers-51175290

I picked up a couple of thick bone-in pork chops, which I will sous vide at 140 (per seriouseats). Rain is in the forecast for dinner time, so I'll set up the propane burner in the garage and sear them in a CI skillet, keeping the mess out of the kitchen. Sides will be pasta salad and a house salad.

I tend to go with 145 for BI pork chops sous vide. The texture doesn't seem quite right at lower temperatures, at least to me. Let us know how they turn out! :chef:

CD

First run of Homemade Chicken Mei Fun. Was good but needs a little tweaking.

chicken_mei_fun_072219_IMG_6038.jpg

I had another airline meal for dinner. They called it beef short ribs, but I know what short ribs look like, at it is not what was on my plate. It was kind of a beef puck of some sort. It had fake grill marks on it -- not kidding. It's like they used a stencil and edible spray paint. :LOL:

CD

We ordered out. I had a steak, pepperoni, and mushroom sub. Stirling had tortellini with a meat and tomato sauce.

Attachments

• P7220021[1].jpg
    P7220021[1].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 137
I made a batch of gazpacho for earlier, then later I made some gumbo, with a generous amount of tomatoes, plus some of the okra I've been harvesting. I started out with 4 oz of bacon in the gumbo, and I realized that was the first meat I had used in well over a week! That's because I'm trying to use up all those veggies from the garden, yet I've not made much of a dent in them.

I made a batch of gazpacho for earlier, then later I made some gumbo, with a generous amount of tomatoes, plus some of the okra I've been harvesting. I started out with 4 oz of bacon in the gumbo, and I realized that was the first meat I had used in well over a week! That's because I'm trying to use up all those veggies from the garden, yet I've not made much of a dent in them.

With all the tomatoes, that's a Creole gumbo. The bacon is probably as close as you can get to Tasso in NJ, unless you make your own. I have to make my own in Dallas, because I can't buy it here. Okra is used in Creole and Cajun gumbo, depending on who makes it. I use it in my gumbo, which is a Cajun gumbo.

I've never made a Creole gumbo, which is probably a better choice for summertime. I need to do it sometime. I'm thinking some good Gulf shrimp for that.

CD

Beer brined grilled pork chops and a medley of sauteed fresh corn, green and red bell peppers, and onions.

I tend to go with 145 for BI pork chops sous vide. The texture doesn't seem quite right at lower temperatures, at least to me. Let us know how they turn out! :chef:

CD
Pork chops came out great. They were lean center cut chops, and I don't think I would cook them higher than 140. There are a couple of specialty meat shops in the area, and I'll have to try some shoulder chops.

Searing in the CI pan on the propane burner worked much better than the steaks I seared on the grill. It's not something I would do indoors, though. I expected a lot of smoke and spattering, and I wasn't disappointed!

Monday, I made fresh pesto with basil from the garden and used that to make pesto pasta and bruschetta. I served previously grilled chicken on the pasta and more pesto :yum : And a few quick pickles.
0722192109b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom