What are you eating Monday July 8, 2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Went food shopping this morning.

Brunch was rotisserie chicken, brie, blue cheese, stoned wheat thins, mini melba toast and blueberry preserves.

chicken_cheese_070819_IMG_5992.jpg

Not sure what dinner will be. Several choices available.

July 8th

Whole wheat spaghetti, with homegrown sauce. Fennel and thyme for spices.

Breaded flounder, breaded and crisp fried and sauteed zucchini..

Not sure what else.. Maybe pilaf or noodles..

Ice cream for later..

Ross

Another "clean the freezer" meal. I pulled a large ham steak out - some of it will be for tonight's "Breakfast for Supper". The rest will be along side mac & cheese later this week (so I can use up some of my too-big supply of dried pastas). Mushroom omelets and crashed potatoes will fill out the plate.

Temperature is in the mid-70s with low humidity. Fresh sword on the grill, potato salad lightly dressed with a dijon vinaigrette, house salad. Summertime dining just doesn't get much better than this.

I grabbed a vacuum sealed packet of spaghetti from the freezer - heated that up and toasted a slice of French bread for a side.

I'm sure glad your power wasn't off long enough to ruin your freezer food Cheryl. How is the food supply at your one and only grocery store?

The length of power outages varied in town - it was weird. My power was off for about 5 hours at the most, and I made sure to not open the fridge or freezer during that time. Victoria lives only a mile from me, and their power was off for twice as long. I threw out some stuff in the fridge, but the freezer seemed to keep it's freeze OK. Victoria had to throw out much more.

We have a Stater Brothers grocery store and 2 Albertson's - the Alb. nearest me is the newer one...there is a smaller older one on the other side of town but I rarely go there just because I don't have reason to go to the other side of town often, unless I'm going to the movie theater. That one suffered the most damage - interior roof panels fell down and part of it caught fire. :(

I don't know yet about the food supply in the grocery stores - I'd guess that they've gotten deliveries since Friday and are probably doing OK. I went to Alb yesterday but that was only a quick stop to get a bottle of wine. lol

Last edited:
Wine cures many things, Cheryl!

I swear I just can't par-boil potatoes just right to make pretty crash potatoes. Nevertheless, they always taste fine! Some ham and my half of the mushroom- mozz 4-egg omelet, too

IMG_20190708_215412577_HDR.jpg

I'm making taco salad tonight so I can use up the head of lettuce I have. It's just hamburger with McCormick taco seasoning on lettuce with cheese. I need to make a run for the store tomorrow and if that's the case, I may pick up a couple tomatoes. Then I can also finish off the sour cream before it goes bad, too.

Usually I can find milk, cream, and sour cream that will last a month or more, but this time everything I found expired in about 2 1/2 weeks. Very annoying.

The length of power outages varied in town - it was weird. My power was off for about 5 hours at the most, and I made sure to not open the fridge or freezer during that time. Victoria lives only a mile from me, and their power was off for twice as long. I threw out some stuff in the fridge, but the freezer seemed to keep it's freeze OK. Victoria had to throw out much more.

We have a Stater Brothers grocery store and 2 Albertson's - the Alb. nearest me is the newer one...there is a smaller older one on the other side of town but I rarely go there just because I don't have reason to go to the other side of town often, unless I'm going to the movie theater. That one suffered the most damage - interior roof panels fell down and part of it caught fire. :(

I don't know yet about the food supply in the grocery stores - I'd guess that they've gotten deliveries since Friday and are probably doing OK. I went to Alb yesterday but that was only a quick stop to get a bottle of wine. lol

My parents and sister live about five miles apart, and the last three Hurricanes, her power was out for longer than our parents'. My dad has a generator, so he can keep both fridge/freezers running even if the power is out for days. Longer, if he can get gasoline.

CD

I scored big in the Manager's Special section in the meat department at Kroger. A three pack of choice tenderloins for 13 bucks and change. The regular price on the sticker was 30 bucks! :ohmy::cool:

So, tonight I had filet mignon, sous vide and seared to a perfect medium rare. I smothered it in a creamy peppercorn sauce, made with finely chopped onion and garlic sautéed in EVOO and butter, freshly ground peppercorns, beef stock and heavy cream. Reduced to where it coated a spoon.

I have to pat myself on the back on this one. It was really good.

The red chilis in the photo were stunt chilis. The plate looked too brown. :LOL:

CD

Attachments

• StakePeppercorn.jpg
    StakePeppercorn.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Geeeze, thankfully all the wine bottles didn't break!!! Then again, my preferred wine boxes were alive and well I bet!!;)

Most did! Lots of booze inventory was lost. :ohmy::ermm: There are local pics from Alb and Staters that show hundreds of bottles broken in the aisle. I'm tired and need to go to bed, will look for them tomorrow.

I like the "Barefoot" brand of boxed wine. :)

I scored big in the Manager's Special section in the meat department at Kroger. A three pack of choice tenderloins for 13 bucks and change. The regular price on the sticker was 30 bucks! :ohmy::cool:

So, tonight I had filet mignon, sous vide and seared to a perfect medium rare. I smothered it in a creamy peppercorn sauce, made with finely chopped onion and garlic sautéed in EVOO and butter, freshly ground peppercorns, beef stock and heavy cream. Reduced to where it coated a spoon.

I have to pat myself on the back on this one. It was really good.

The red chilis in the photo were stunt chilis. The plate looked too brown. :LOL:

CD

'stunt' chilis...:LOL: I'll need to remember that term. I've done similar props with dishes that are too beige. :LOL: Looks and sounds good, Casey.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom